Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2018, 07:34 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
This isn'y a full Target though, the bulky items are very limited, certainly not enough to warrant a parking lot.
Are you sure? Looks like it's a block long. Well, I have not been there yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 08:19 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Are you sure? Looks like it's a block long. Well, I have not been there yet.
Its about 50k sqft. The other city ones are 20-30k sqft, so this one is bigger, but I did read somewhere that the big items that you find in suburban targets are more limited. The focus is on clothing, grocery, and small home items.

Kind of like a half Target, and the other urban ones are 1/4 Targets, lol.

There is another 1/2 opening in Devon in an old KMart space that will be the same format.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:52 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
They're cheap, that much is clear, but "monstrosities"?

I've seen much more expensive houses that look worse IMO.

The main problem with those is they look like they were supposed to be twins but never had their attached halves built. Were those parts of twins or a row, they'd probably not stick out so much.

Exactly--an entire side of the house without windows. Understandable for a twin or row home (which still often have a side window thanks to the cut-out walkways in between) but just ugly and a missed opportunity for a single. The slanted roofs do make me think the developers original plan was for 2 sets of twin homes-maybe it was scaled down, and to get the most money the developer built two singles without altering the plans instead of 1 set of twins .

Vinyl may be cheapest material but the Northwest (at least Chestnut Hill/Mt. Airy/Germantown) is one area of the city where people will definitely pay the price for more historically accurate materials like brick and stone. I still remember several years ago where a developer renovated a house on Mt. Airy and Boyer--originally the renovation was vinyl and even though it mimicked the style/trim of the wood it sat and I believe undersold. Soon after that it was re-done again but this time with real wood/materials and sold for asking.

Old 09-01-2018, 03:27 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,225,174 times
Quote:

The main problem with those is they look like they were supposed to be twins but never had their attached halves built. Were those parts of twins or a row, they'd probably not stick out so much.

The missing teeth phenomenon is one of the biggest blights upon Philadelphia - and to seemingly celebrate it by recreating that with new construction is unacceptable, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
If cheaper more modest sq footage homes is what it takes to interest home owners, I have no problem with developers meeting market requirements while ensuring new, clean and safe buildings.
It's not though - this area of Germantown is coming back strong. Only about a block off of the Tulpehocken Historic District, a block off of Germantown Avenue, and right on the border of Mount Airy. A total misreading of the neighborhood, if that was the reason to build something so cheap and ugly.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:46 AM

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2018/...elphia-eagles/

Did anyone catch the festivities, I didn't know the TODAY Show was in Philadelphia today.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:07 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,895,774 times
Quote:
https://www.phillymag.com/news/2018/...elphia-eagles/

Did anyone catch the festivities, I didn't know the TODAY Show was in Philadelphia today.

Yes, it was the NFL kickoff today.. Was going to start a separate thread but I'll here. You've provided the perfect opener since it was Labor Day weekend and the city was a bit extra busy with events and lots of visitors.

Made In America filled Center City hotels and local.Air BnB's, as well as lots of Cubs fans who were in town for their seies with the Phil's. Then this event at Penn's Landing... While I worked in few locations setting up lights and laying lines for various events, I still had some free time to meet people on the El & Sub, also answer questions while working. People wanted to know where to eat, drink, party & club, etc.

As usual out of towners answered some of our questions, and many of them really enjoyed their stay and some had been here a few times and others were enjoying their first. Oh, and the stick lights look a " Whole " lot better than when they first planted those things. Visitors we're up on North Broad taking pictures in front of them, and there were major lines outside of Max's Steaks and a lot of kids were taking selfies and doing live broadcast in front of it.... Who would've ever seen that coming?

Old 09-07-2018, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post
Yes, it was the NFL kickoff today.. Was going to start a separate thread but I'll here. You've provided the perfect opener since it was Labor Day weekend and the city was a bit extra busy with events and lots of visitors.

Made In America filled Center City hotels and local.Air BnB's, as well as lots of Cubs fans who were in town for their seies with the Phil's. Then this event at Penn's Landing... While I worked in few locations setting up lights and laying lines for various events, I still had some free time to meet people on the El & Sub, also answer questions while working. People wanted to know where to eat, drink, party & club, etc.

As usual out of towners answered some of our questions, and many of them really enjoyed their stay and some had been here a few times and others were enjoying their first. Oh, and the stick lights look a " Whole " lot better than when they first planted those things. Visitors we're up on North Broad taking pictures in front of them, and there were major lines outside of Max's Steaks and a lot of kids were taking selfies and doing live broadcast in front of it.... Who would've ever seen that coming?
That's awesome, there has been a lot of positive press the last few weeks in Philadelphia. Helped that the Eagles won too.

Also, the BMW Classic is at Aronimink in Newtown Square this week, that is bringing a ton more people to the area.

Old 09-07-2018, 04:13 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,895,774 times
Quote:
That's awesome, there has been a lot of positive press the last few weeks in Philadelphia. Helped that the Eagles won too.

Also, the BMW Classic is at Aronimink in Newtown Square this week, that is bringing a ton more people to the area.

Yeah, I wasn't aware of that until yesterday. It's been a fun week.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:30 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenses & Lights. View Post

You mean to tell me the visitors and outsiders are making it up to Broad/Erie/Germantown?

You could knock me over with a feather.

Old 09-08-2018, 07:19 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
You mean to tell me the visitors and outsiders are making it up to Broad/Erie/Germantown?

You could knock me over with a feather.
Sure, why not? Once the Beury Bldg is done, who knows what might happen? It never really lost its pedestrian population. It's a hub as you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia