Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2019, 10:54 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times

Advertisements

Slightly OT but we are talking about Kenney's budget. The job creation totals for Feb were absolutely awful. Wow. I've been thinking we're heading into recesssion for a while. So some of the line items in this budget may go up in smoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 11:59 AM

1,213 posts, read 955,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Slightly OT but we are talking about Kenney's budget. The job creation totals for Feb were absolutely awful. Wow. I've been thinking we're heading into recesssion for a while. So some of the line items in this budget may go up in smoke.
The city pensions are absolutely killing us.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:14 PM

744 posts, read 775,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
We were spoiled by Nutter who ended up being an exceptional mayor although it was rough for him during his first term because of the financial crisis and the Great Recession. People have forgotten that he flailed a lot during that time. But he, obviously, learned a lot and acted accordingly.

Trust me, Street was way worse than Kenney because of rampant corruption. The FBI raided his office, for instance. Remember that? Or are you too young or weren't in Philly to have known about it.

Domb is running for re-election to his current at large council seat, afaik. There are tv ads.

AH Williams is nothing like his dad, Hardy Williams. So he's a big "no!" for me.

Once upon a time, when Sam Katz, switched parties, to challenge the expectations of "forever Democrats" running for mayor, it was a fun contest and gen. election. He almost beat Street the first time. He would have been a transformative mayor. Even more so than Nutter, imo.
Yes I really miss Nutter. I thought he perfectly balanced all the traits necessary to be a good leader plus he is very intelligent and loved to promote Philadelphia as a place to be. I probably just need to get over it. What I want to see most of all now in Philly politics is for Darrell Clarke to be voted out of office. I won't hold my breath.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:17 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Finally money for street sweeping. The horrendous amount of trash strewn all over the streets is one of the things I hate about living in South Philly.
Just spent a few days in DC and didn’t see the amount of street trash I see here. I just can’t understand why the city doesn’t require residents to put their garbage out in plastic bags. They even make biodegradable bags now. Rain or a windy day result in trash spilling out all over the sidewalks.

Other cities manage trash this way without a problem. Why not us?

Old 03-08-2019, 01:20 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Pensions are killing cities and states all across the country. Has the city at least changed the pension plans for newly hired employees or are we continuing to exacerbate the problem into the foreseeable future?

And my god, please drop DROP!

Old 03-08-2019, 01:21 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Just spent a few days in DC and didn’t see the amount of street trash I see here. I just can’t understand why the city doesn’t require residents to put their garbage out in plastic bags. They even make biodegradable bags now. Rain or a windy day result in trash spilling out all over the sidewalks.

Other cities manage trash this way without a problem. Why not us?
Because we have more important issues to worry about like cashless stores.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Yes! True. Thanks, for reminding everyone.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
Yes I really miss Nutter. I thought he perfectly balanced all the traits necessary to be a good leader plus he is very intelligent and loved to promote Philadelphia as a place to be. I probably just need to get over it. What I want to see most of all now in Philly politics is for Darrell Clarke to be voted out of office. I won't hold my breath.
I'm sure having the financial crisis happen during his first term was a big test of Nutter's character.

Clarke is a perfect example of why we need term limits.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:44 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,335,818 times
I couldn't find the SEPTA thread, so I'll post here.

SEPTA looks to expand Chester County rail service to Coatesville

https://www.philly.com/transportatio...-20190308.html

Old 03-08-2019, 05:47 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I couldn't find the SEPTA thread, so I'll post here.

SEPTA looks to expand Chester County rail service to Coatesville

https://www.philly.com/transportatio...-20190308.html
Good to see Septa willing to work with the counties in extending it's rail options.
Sucks that the city hasn't been getting any rail attention whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia