Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2019, 09:54 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,664,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Hard to believe he’ll lose, but wouldn’t that be sweet. Opposition against councilman prerogative has taken a pretty high profile in the run up to the primary. Maybe this next generation isn’t as complacent with political corruption.
He won't lose. But being challenged would have been unthinkable not too long ago.

Pretty obvious that big changes are afoot.

Nationally, Mayor Pete B. and Tulsi G. are not paying attention to anybody who might say they are too young to run for the POTUS. The Constitution disagrees; you just have to be 35.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 10:05 AM

13,945 posts, read 8,793,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Something political.

Cpomp will love this: Clarke is being challenged in the primary. I'm really impressed with the number of people trying to run.
I know one of the challengers, and unfortunately, I hear he's decided to drop out.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:09 AM

I think this might be something you all might want to read. It's by Richard Florida, who is spending the year studying this city on a new non-resident research fellowship jointly sponsored by Drexel and Jefferson universities:

Philadelphia's next challenge: Stemming the tide of America's new urban crisis | Opinion | Philadelphia Inquirer/Philly.com

I read "The New Urban Crisis" not long after it came out. I characterize it as Florida looking at the urban world his book "The Rise of the Creative Class" unleashed and saying, "My God, what have I done?"

It is interesting, however, that he describes this "new urban crisis" as one of success rather than one of decline. And he opines in this essay that it's beginning to surface here too.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:44 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,664,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I think this might be something you all might want to read. It's by Richard Florida, who is spending the year studying this city on a new non-resident research fellowship jointly sponsored by Drexel and Jefferson universities:

Philadelphia's next challenge: Stemming the tide of America's new urban crisis | Opinion | Philadelphia Inquirer/Philly.com

I read "The New Urban Crisis" not long after it came out. I characterize it as Florida looking at the urban world his book "The Rise of the Creative Class" unleashed and saying, "My God, what have I done?"

It is interesting, however, that he describes this "new urban crisis" as one of success rather than one of decline. And he opines in this essay that it's beginning to surface here too.
I'd be interested to hear cpomp's assessment of the number of folks his age that he sees in NY.

This, I think, may be related to some of what Florida's concerns are: Two, completely redone houses, in my sister's block( unit block of north 62nd/ 62nd and Market) have sold over the last few months for pretty high prices for that area., $145K and $95K.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:13 PM

7,730 posts, read 5,442,428 times
I really enjoy reading Richard Florida’s stuff in CityLab so it excites me to know he’s going to focus on Philadelphia. I hope at the very least it continues to increase exposure for the city as a place to live and work.

I have been working in London for a couple of weeks and there are Shazam ads everywhere in the underground here and early reviews have the movie sitting at an extremely impressive 97% rotten tomatoes. It supposedly paints the city in a positive light. Though Billy Penn does get blown off the top of city hall lol.
https://www.reddit.com/r/philadelphi...e_new_chinese/

Old 03-24-2019, 10:57 AM

9,334 posts, read 9,191,704 times
Quote:
I'd be interested to hear cpomp's assessment of the number of folks his age that he sees in NY.

This, I think, may be related to some of what Florida's concerns are: Two, completely redone houses, in my sister's block( unit block of north 62nd/ 62nd and Market) have sold over the last few months for pretty high prices for that area., $145K and $95K.
I guess its hard to tell by the sheer number of people on the streets sometimes, but I would still wager that New York has more young people "flocking" there on a per capita basis. New York is usually the first stop for many reasons, the experience, opportunity, fun, friends, etc.

But of course I am not surprised at the influx of young people in Philadelphia, it makes me very happy, and Philadelphia has a leg up in how long people want to stay there. NYC is very transient, if you don't make big money quick or fall in love with the city, then it loses its luster after after a few years, mostly due to the cost of living and crowds. Philadelphia is a city you can move to at 25 and end up planting roots because it checks the boxes and you can own a nice home for under $500k pretty much everywhere.

That logic crosses my mind more as I get older and want to plant roots. If my current employer ever offered a Philadelphia expansion opportunity with my New York salary, I would 100% take it.

I also do not have as much interest getting involved in civic/political affairs in NYC because of how huge the arena is and because NYC is a different animal. My hope is that some of the young people moving to Philly have that bigger picture mindset, not just protesting Starbucks. But we shall see...

Regarding the Richard Florida article is a bit of a miss for me... Crisis is such a dramatic term especially in context of Philadelphia's affordability. Philadelphia has a poverty crisis, industry/job creation crisis and getting closer to a crime crisis. That is what the city should focus on, but that is a tall order expecting council attack poverty and reintroduce industry and opportunity for the 1/4 of the city living in poverty.

Of course affordability is a longterm topic as the city changes, but I still do not see it as a crisis, lets start by closing the gap rather than focus on one part of the problem. The affordability "crisis" will not change if poverty, taxes, industry, opportunity, etc. is not addressed.

Also, citing high priced real estate on Walnut Street near Rittenhouse Square is a poor example of showing affordability. Those are the ritziest blocks in the city, what do you expect? A single family home for $150k?? Not calling him out, I just wasn't a fan of that article.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:58 AM

9,334 posts, read 9,191,704 times
Quote:

See my comments above. What do you think of this piece?

Quote:
He won't lose. But being challenged would have been unthinkable not too long ago.

Pretty obvious that big changes are afoot.

Nationally, Mayor Pete B. and Tulsi G. are not paying attention to anybody who might say they are too young to run for the POTUS. The Constitution disagrees; you just have to be 35.
It almost requires a door to door effort to educate/ awaken those who are not aware of his policies and practices.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I guess its hard to tell by the sheer number of people on the streets sometimes, but I would still wager that New York has more young people "flocking" there on a per capita basis. New York is usually the first stop for many reasons, the experience, opportunity, fun, friends, etc.
In percentage terms, Philadelphia had the greatest increase in its Millennial population of any of the 10 largest US cities from 2005 to 2017. The Millennial population in the city spiked after the onset of the Great Recession, then the growth curve flattened after 2012. In all, 135,000 Millennials moved to the city between 2007 and 2017. I'm sure that in terms of raw numbers, New York had more Millennials moving there during that same decade, but they make up a smaller share of the total population than they do here.

(Source: a JLL slide show at the annual Urban Land Institute Philadelphia "Real Estate Forecast" presentation at the Union League in November 2018.)

Quote:
I also do not have as much interest getting involved in civic/political affairs in NYC because of how huge the arena is and because NYC is a different animal. My hope is that some of the young people moving to Philly have that bigger picture mindset, not just protesting Starbucks. But we shall see...
Been following the activities of The 5th Square or Philadelphia 3.0? (The Director of Engagement for the latter is a former journalist who moved to Philadelphia from Brooklyn about six years ago. I helped him get his bearings here shortly after he arrived.)

Quote:
Regarding the Richard Florida article is a bit of a miss for me... Crisis is such a dramatic term especially in context of Philadelphia's affordability. Philadelphia has a poverty crisis, industry/job creation crisis and getting closer to a crime crisis. That is what the city should focus on, but that is a tall order expecting council attack poverty and reintroduce industry and opportunity for the 1/4 of the city living in poverty.

Of course affordability is a longterm topic as the city changes, but I still do not see it as a crisis, lets start by closing the gap rather than focus on one part of the problem. The affordability "crisis" will not change if poverty, taxes, industry, opportunity, etc. is not addressed.

Also, citing high priced real estate on Walnut Street near Rittenhouse Square is a poor example of showing affordability. Those are the ritziest blocks in the city, what do you expect? A single family home for $150k?? Not calling him out, I just wasn't a fan of that article.
The "New Urban Crisis" of the book title is the widening income gap between the affluent and the not-affluent in all the cities that lured the "creative class" Florida described in his first book. He has made income inequality his laser-like focus since giving up his editorship of what's now CityLab at The Atlantic and taking the helm of the Martin Prosperity Institute at the University of Toronto. I don't think he made this clear in his op-ed, but what he is trying to say, I think, is that even with the high poverty rate and low (by Northeast standards) housing costs, we are beginning to see a similar pulling-away here.* I think the reason he wrote the essay is because he thinks things are not so far along that path here that we can't do something to keep that from happening.

*Perhaps you recall seeing a Wall Street Journal article with the incredulous headline "You Got Priced Out of...Philadelphia?" back around the beginning of last year. The subject of the story was a 30something professional who couldn't find anything she could afford to buy in Fishtown, where she wanted to live, or several other popular city neighborhoods either.

Now, we both know that there are a slew of neighborhoods where this woman could have found housing she could afford. But those neighborhoods are not the ones the young professionals want to live in, at least not now. This is yet another manifestation of that Tale-of-Two-Cities-In-One character that the Brookings folks captured so well when they referred to this city as "Bostroit."

Old 03-25-2019, 09:02 AM

377 posts, read 470,549 times
This is cool: https://www.philly.com/business/comc...-20190325.html

3500 seat e-sports venue. Another "first" for Philly.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:15 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,538,778 times
Quote:

interesting article. I registered for the presentation tomorrow (hey it's free, why not) to hear what he has to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia