Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2019, 03:06 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Fake sugar and chemicals replacing regular ingredients isn't some great alternative. It works for diabetics who can't have real sugar, but non-diabetics should not be putting those types of unnecessary chemicals in their body.
Non-diabetics use them because they contain zero calories, but they have some side effects that may make them less than ideal choices for weight loss. Aspartame, for instance, makes you hungrier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 03:09 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro2985 View Post
What REALLY annoys me is that the tax is applied to diet drinks too with 0 sugar or calories.
That was a compromise. The original legislation would have applied the tax only to beverages with added sugar (naturally sweet drinks like fruit juices [NOT "juice cocktails"] were and are exempt) and doubled the per-ounce tax (3 cents). I forget who lobbied for the change, but it was modified to half the per-ounce rate and applied to any drink with added sweeteners.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:10 PM

938 posts, read 445,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslhu View Post

I know you were being sarcastic about actually helping the impoverished children in this city, but it's a subject that gets me going. Carry on with your regularly scheduled lunacy.
You don't know that, but I know your definition of 'lunacy' is any view or opinion with which 'progressives' disagree.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post

If you oppose libraries, you could get rid of parks too while you're at it. Aren't they just gathering places for the wrong types of people?
I don't oppose parks. What I oppose is the dearth of good parents and teachers in this city.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:56 PM

377 posts, read 474,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Tony View Post
I don't oppose parks. What I oppose is the dearth of good parents and teachers in this city.

You're going to blame the teachers? LM/Radnor/TE are recognized for having great teachers -- you think if you moved them all to Philly schools starting in September there would be a major turnaround?

Old 05-11-2019, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeEd32 View Post
You're going to blame the teachers? LM/Radnor/TE are recognized for having great teachers -- you think if you moved them all to Philly schools starting in September there would be a major turnaround?
No. I'm blaming a combination of the parents and teachers (this includes the people who run the educational system who are more concerned with diversity, inclusion and being social justice warriors instead of teaching arithmetic and English).

It was a disgrace how the teachers and the administrators threw a fit a few years back when there was talk of hiring the Chinese woman from D.C. to be superintendent. She had a track record of holding teachers responsible and it became racial when the African-American teachers found out she didn't play the 'hands off' approach with people because off their skin color, being as she fired poorly performing black teachers in D.C.

They weren't going to let some Chinese woman come in here and do THAT to THEM.

Way to look out for the kids, Philadelphia.

I'll be waiting for the excuses ...

Last edited by Indiana Tony; 05-11-2019 at 05:26 AM..

Old 05-11-2019, 08:07 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Too bad this thread has become a series of arguments with a long-time troll who doesn’t even live in the city. Sigh

Old 05-11-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeEd32 View Post
I don't know about a major turnaround, but yes, better qualified teachers would help ... The low-quality teachers are only PART of the problem.

Old 05-11-2019, 04:47 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,512 times
Being located halfway between the most famous and dreamed about city in the world, and the capital of the free world must count for something. Those cities becoming ever more unaffordable and driving their residents and with them, the culture away must count for something too. Philly is at the gateway to the Northeast. Sure there's a massive migration from the Northeast and Midwest to the South and West, but this is driven in no small part by aging people. This will turn those states evermore Red politically, and will turn their major industries into healthcare for the elderly.

It leads me to suspect that in the future, the Northeast and Midwest will be disproportionally younger and more liberal. I think because Philadelphia will be the last major city to completely gentrify, no matter how expensive it gets, it will always be the more affordable city and if managed properly, can be more affordable than NY or DC is presently for a long time.

I also am delighted to assume that some of the life and culture that is sucked out of these cities will find a home in Philadelphia. So what if these people are the lower class groups?, so what if they are New York's sloppy seconds? I can see Philly as a real culture capital in the future, diverse, more affordable, invested in, and talked about.

Being on one of the coasts of the US, where immigrants and tourists are more likely to flock to, and with an already growing population, I don't see why in the future Philly couldn't become an actual rival to Chicago, which has a declining population and will drop to 4th largest US city behind Houston in the next decade. Granted, with Philly's puny city limits, it's going to definitely drop to 7th in the next decade. But at least Philly's not alone. Go Houston! Lol.

Old 05-12-2019, 06:45 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,895,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbobsully94 View Post

I also am delighted to assume that some of the life and culture that is sucked out of these cities will find a home in Philadelphia. So what if these people are the lower class groups?, so what if they are New York's sloppy seconds?
New York's " Sloppy Seconds?" What is that supposed to mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia