Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2019, 05:52 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Welcome to the discussion, and congratulations on delurking!

Sounds like you and Pennsport are actually singing from either the same page in the songbook or adjacent pages. The principal difference between you and me is: I'm 60 - I'm one of those Boomers you all worry about having to support in our sunset years.

I don't intend to join those ranks while I still have a functioning brain and fingers that can type - and dictation software may be able to take care of the typing for me should my fingers go. The ability to write well doesn't diminish with age unless one's brain does, and I know of many writers and journalists who keep on going after they're supposed to retire and spend their golden years On Golden Pond. One of them, a columnist for The Kansas City Star when I was a copy boy and intern there during and right after high school, died in November 2016 at age 93 - one month after penning his last column for the paper.

It's my intention to exit this orb the way Charles Gusewelle did.

But, of course, if too many of my fellow Boomers harbor similar sentiments, it creates another problem for your generation: We then won't get out of the way so our jobs open up for you all to fill.

I guess Pennsport is right here.

Oh, and: congratulations to you both for knowing the proper construction of "couldn't care less."
I'm one of the lucky Boomers, imo, in that I wanted to retire and could do it exactly when I wanted to. Lots of
Boomers will not be able to do that because the Great Recession had severe consequences for them financially.
They will never be able to retire. Not because they don't want to. They can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
For the record, most of my peer group (including myself), couldn't care less about being ignored. What we care about is exploitation without representation. We shoulder tax cuts for the 1% while simultaneously providing financial support for entire "families" on the far left; and soon we'll be responsible, to some degree, for supporting the Boomer generation as this demographic retires and needs more support. If we were left alone and not forced to financially support everyone's political agenda, we'd be thrilled.

Regarding the second section I highlighted above, while aligned agendas would make life easier, the reality is that each group has very different hot-button issues and they won't overlap all that much. And unfortunately, there simply isn't enough funding to go around. My preferred solution is to lop off the extremes on both sides and support the middle more robustly which will ultimately help everyone.

Regardless, my initial posting was in response to why my generation/peer group doesn't vote as religiously as other demographics. My response has been, and continues to be, nothing changes for us and we get screwed every which way. It doesn't matter all that much who is in office for my group.
Do you understand that Boomers and Gen-X, have, and continue to support the generations(silents and greatest)older than they/we are meaning our very own parents, our aunts/uncles even cousins?

I spent 16 years doing elder care, btw, along with working full time.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:50 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
24 story “short stay” apartment tower planned for Wendy’s site at 11th and Walnut: https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20190822.html.

Old 09-03-2019, 02:22 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Interesting project completed in Fishtown: At Their Posts.

Plans are envisioned for improvements along other “connector streets,” with Washington Ave and Franklin Ave next at bat.

Old 09-26-2019, 05:31 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
New federal report surprises: Philadelphia poverty down, income up

Good to see. However, I want to see it sustained for years.

Old 09-26-2019, 06:47 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
New federal report surprises: Philadelphia poverty down, income up

Good to see. However, I want to see it sustained for years.
Its a start. Of course a lot of negativity from trolls, I think its because they hate to see the city improve.

If this general trend continues or even picks up slightly, Philadelphia could be at 20% in a decade.

It is upsetting to see the flaw in the stats from last year though.

I would also like to know how many people in poverty left the city / region.

The suburbs seem to be doing well though, Chester County and Montgomery County in particular.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Its a start. Of course a lot of negativity from trolls, I think its because they hate to see the city improve.

If this general trend continues or even picks up slightly, Philadelphia could be at 20% in a decade.

It is upsetting to see the flaw in the stats from last year though.

I would also like to know how many people in poverty left the city / region.

The suburbs seem to be doing well though, Chester County and Montgomery County in particular.
Tbh, one has to factor in recession prospects, so don't get carried away with upticks. But it's positive news overall so I will take it.

Old 10-19-2019, 10:43 AM

Didn't want to start a new thread about this but what I feared may happen: lower minority participation in next year's census.

Thoughts? Hopefully we can talk about it without it falling into another "discord" thread.

Old 10-21-2019, 11:12 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Philadelphia Fellow Richard Florida on how to build a more prosperous city

Nothing really groundbreaking about the report he produced. There are a lot of interesting graphs. I was hoping he would have suggested Pilots, payments in lieu of taxes, when talking about "Anchors" having a vested interest in spreading prosperity.

To go hand and hand with that, I wish he also addressed commercial property tax reform specifically the elimination of the uniformity clause.

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...-s-cities.html

It makes zero sense Philadelphia should have one of the lowest rates of commercial property taxes. We basically invite people to sit on property as long as possible.

He does address PAGE. I wonder what effect it has had on the city so far and if it is at all responsible for the increase income.
http://economyleague.org/driving-reg...-growth-equity

Last edited by thedirtypirate; 10-21-2019 at 11:27 AM..

Old 11-04-2019, 08:04 AM

377 posts, read 474,330 times
What happened to this thread? Some great news:

https://whyy.org/articles/finally-th...penns-landing/

https://whyy.org/articles/wanted-dev...t-real-estate/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia