Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2021, 08:22 AM

752 posts, read 460,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I don't know the right thread to post this is, but what are peoples opinions.? Philadelphia for the most part will not ease restrictions until at least April, 30, while the rest of the state (and neighboring cities and states continue to ease them).

I get that the idea is good on paper and originally decided with good intentions, but do we think this might have a counteractive affect and slow Philadelphia's recovery, especially compared to other major cities?
I'm not super worried about it since I'm anticipating that the growing numbers being vaccinated will sooner than later reach critical mass and cause the infection rates to plummet.....something Philadelphia will need to react to. Right now with cases rising again, they feel little pressure to ease.

The restrictions easing from PA simply allow greater capacities, restaurants from 50-75% as an example. If restaurants were still closed and gyms closed for instance, Philadelphia lagging would be a bigger problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2021, 05:22 PM

837 posts, read 853,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Exactly! I would be curious to know when the last time the Constitution and the Declaration made it's way to it's home city.

2026 might be a good time to bring the old papers out for public viewing (probably would never happen, but I am sure there are pretty old copies that look basically identical that could be used).

Big news in the insurance industry yesterday, Chubb makes move to take over rival The Hartford.

Insurer Chubb offers to acquire rival Hartford for $23.24 billion

This would be one of the biggest mergers in the industry in a number of years.

Chubb's current building is across from Independence Hall, but they are looking to move to a bigger newer office.

Speculation is 20th and Arch.

Neighborhood approval could clear way for Philly’s first new Center City headquarters building since Comcast
Chubb is actually a Swiss company based in Zurich (https://fortune.com/company/chubb/). It wouldn't count as a Fortune 500 company here but it is a Global 500 company (https://fortune.com/company/chubb/global500/), so it's nice to hear that Philly is getting some international presence with Chubb. It's sad that the Hartford is going to be consolidated and may change it's name to Chubb, especially since the city of Hartford was known as the insurance capital for so long. It's actually my favorite CT city and I lived there for a few months, however despite being CT's premier city for so long, it has it's share of problems similar to Phila (deindustrialization, suburbanization, population loss, violence, etc.). It's not a bad city, just has had a tough time trying to reestablish itself and losing the Hartford Whalers was a huge blow to Hartford. Hopefully it can get back the Whalers and reestablish itself as a smaller major city like Newark, NJ, Buffalo, and even Providence RI.

Old 03-24-2021, 10:45 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
My son went there for the second time shortly before they closed. I'm glad that Philadelphia will gain something.

My son wonders what will become of the Berlin guard towers. There's been no mention of them.

Old 03-25-2021, 03:40 AM

14,172 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My son went there for the second time shortly before they closed. I'm glad that Philadelphia will gain something.

My son wonders what will become of the Berlin guard towers. There's been no mention of them.
Where was this?

It helps if you click "quote" when replying to a specific post, as I did here.

Old 04-12-2021, 09:51 AM

752 posts, read 460,175 times
I wasn't sure where to put this but I know we've the debated the use of "Philly" around here in the past. From my perspective, the Inquirer has gone over the top with the use of a silly nickname to convey serious subject matters. These are all current headlines of Inquirer.com. Any thoughts?

Philly DA Larry Krasner and challenger Carlos Vega enter election homestretch as gun violence surges

Road trip for gun-purchase background checks makes a stop in Philly

One Philly school is a 150-acre farm. How did COVID-19 affect Saul High?

Philly police say the man officers killed in a traffic stop was a fugitive who said he couldn’t go back to jail

Philly plans expanded summer school, open to all; will administer most state tests this spring

Philly’s U.S. attorney and other federal law enforcement leaders unveil new plan to combat the city’s gun violence

Old 04-12-2021, 10:51 AM

463 posts, read 206,644 times
Poor writing. Cheap, fast headlines with poor grammar and a lack of purpose. They should just close the whole operation down.

Old 04-12-2021, 03:26 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Agreed. A once reputable paper is now a rag. Regardless of its liberal leanings, it's filled with lazy / inaccurate reporting, grammar issues, spellcheck, the use of "Philly" (which bothers me, even though its not a big deal to most). Even some headlines use city stock images from 1998 or something. A high-school newspaper could outdo most pieces coming from the Inquirer nowadays.

(There are a few Inquirer journalists that are reputable, but clouded by the bad).

Funny we bring up Philly vs. Philadelphia. The Today Show (NBC) is doing a new series "Reopening America" and the kickoff week (this week) is in Philadelphia hosted by our very own Sheinelle Jones, and more often than not they refer to the city as Philadelphia, unless in a quick back and forth discussion. It sounds so much better to introduce Reopening America "first stop Philadelphia", vs. "first stop Philly". Maybe I'm just too critical.

But the series is awesome, day 1 showcased the city and its food so well, and Sheinelle clearly loves her hometown. Hopefully a step toward rebuilding our pre-pandemic momentum.

Old 04-13-2021, 08:48 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,314,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Agreed. A once reputable paper is now a rag. Regardless of its liberal leanings, it's filled with lazy / inaccurate reporting, grammar issues, spellcheck, the use of "Philly" (which bothers me, even though its not a big deal to most). Even some headlines use city stock images from 1998 or something. A high-school newspaper could outdo most pieces coming from the Inquirer nowadays.

(There are a few Inquirer journalists that are reputable, but clouded by the bad).

Funny we bring up Philly vs. Philadelphia. The Today Show (NBC) is doing a new series "Reopening America" and the kickoff week (this week) is in Philadelphia hosted by our very own Sheinelle Jones, and more often than not they refer to the city as Philadelphia, unless in a quick back and forth discussion. It sounds so much better to introduce Reopening America "first stop Philadelphia", vs. "first stop Philly". Maybe I'm just too critical.

But the series is awesome, day 1 showcased the city and its food so well, and Sheinelle clearly loves her hometown. Hopefully a step toward rebuilding our pre-pandemic momentum.
I will have to check this series on the Today show out! Thanks for sharing!

And I 100% am on the same page as you. Philadelphia should be referred to as; Philadelphia in formal news reports etc.

Sure, I can see having some fun within pop culture to simply say Philly.

But, I always make sure to emphasize Philadelphia not Philly.

I try to do the same with when referring to Pennsylvania and not simply PA.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:44 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,120,516 times
When I'm in the area, I say Philly. When i'm in the South or West, I always say Philadelphia.

Old 04-19-2021, 06:27 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
I thought it was kind of funny they mentioned the plan this thread was based on:

Raising the Roof: Here Are the 10 Cities Building the Most Homes for Buyers

Quote:
Inventory has reached record lows, with the number of homes available for purchase falling below 3,000 for the first time last quarter. Demand for homes in outer neighborhoods has grown more compared with the city center, as people look for more space to adapt to their pandemic lifestyles.Less restrictive zoning laws in the past 10 years and Philadelphia’s 2035 plan, a two-part, comprehensive project to expand development, have also paved the way for builders to break ground in recent months.

Great time to sell a house, tough time to buy even with thousands of new units under construction or hitting the market soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia