Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2021, 12:26 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Yea the whole philly stchick can get to me..

I mean in certain instances I totally get it when referencing slang terms etc.

But in some publications it just seems like pure laziness to me.

I also think the same thing with Pennsylvania and PA...

I hate when people say "PA"... in their speech.

No it is Pennsylvania....

I think Pennsylvania is probably one of the only states that is abbreviated not just in writing so much but also verbally.

No one says... NC for say North Carolina... which is actually more syllables than Pennsylvania.

Same thing can be said for say... Louisiana... people do not say LA... they say the full name in speech. And it like North Carolina is more syllables than Pennsylvania.
Here is an example of how the use of Philly irritates me...

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20210427.html

Like really? This headline sounds like a middle school paper. The Inquirer is largely rubbish anyways, but literally every headline is "Philly" or "PA". Its just lazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 05:45 PM

463 posts, read 206,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Here is an example of how the use of Philly irritates me...

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20210427.html

Like really? This headline sounds like a middle school paper. The Inquirer is largely rubbish anyways, but literally every headline is "Philly" or "PA". Its just lazy.
Not just the headline. The entire story sounds like a middle school paper.

Old 04-28-2021, 10:58 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,116,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyTransplant20 View Post
In all of 4 minutes no one talked about the 2 elephants in the room: TRASH and PARKING!
We're allowed to talk about things that don't pertain to the negative aspects of the city. If you feel like doing so- you can start an entire thread regarding trash and parking which i'm sure will eventually manifest into one giant echo-chamber for you and fellow negadelphians.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:27 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
I walked around the newly opened part of FDR park the other day and I was impressed with it. I never played golf there so I didn't even know all that nature was back there.

Old 05-10-2021, 07:58 AM

Some great business news!

Fore Biotherapeutics picks Philadelphia for global HQ, may add dozens of workers

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

"A precision oncology company founded in Jerusalem has established a new global headquarters in Philadelphia."

"Usama Malik, CEO at Fore Biotherapeutics, said the company is starting out with five people in Philadelphia — but it could add dozens more this year."

"Malik said the company spent about three months looking at potential locations for its global headquarters, including Boston and the Washington, D.C., region, before picking Philadelphia."

Old 05-10-2021, 08:22 AM

445 posts, read 413,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Some great business news!

Fore Biotherapeutics picks Philadelphia for global HQ, may add dozens of workers

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

"A precision oncology company founded in Jerusalem has established a new global headquarters in Philadelphia."

"Usama Malik, CEO at Fore Biotherapeutics, said the company is starting out with five people in Philadelphia — but it could add dozens more this year."

"Malik said the company spent about three months looking at potential locations for its global headquarters, including Boston and the Washington, D.C., region, before picking Philadelphia."
There seems to be a strong Philly-Israel business connection. Shame we lost the PHL-TLV flight.

Old 05-10-2021, 08:33 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post
There seems to be a strong Philly-Israel business connection. Shame we lost the PHL-TLV flight.

One of my uncle's knew Benjamin Netanyahu in High School. Tel Aviv is officially Philadelphia's sister city along with Florence, Italy.

Old 05-10-2021, 10:13 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
To add onto the positive economic news today, here's a nice nugget from Axios regarding the recent dispersal of tech talent. Philadelphia apparently ranked 4th after Miami, Dallas, and Houston for growth in software/IT workers over the past year (based on LinkedIn profile locations). Notably, cities like SF, Boston, NYC and Seattle lost such workers.

Quote:
Young engineers and recent college graduates see Miami, Houston and Philadelphia — not San Francisco, New York or Seattle — as the hot new places to jumpstart a technology or creative economy career.

"I clearly see momentum building and it's hard for me to imagine that the pandemic won't be a permanent accelerant of people moving to places that have been historically overlooked," said AOL co-founder Steve Case, who is CEO of venture capital firm Revolution.
https://www.axios.com/tech-hub-citie...f74c6087f.html

Old 05-10-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
To add onto the positive economic news today, here's a nice nugget from Axios regarding the recent dispersal of tech talent. Philadelphia apparently ranked 4th after Miami, Dallas, and Houston for growth in software/IT workers over the past year (based on LinkedIn profile locations). Notably, cities like SF, Boston, NYC and Seattle lost such workers.

https://www.axios.com/tech-hub-citie...f74c6087f.html
Good news, Philadelphia needs to become more competitive in tech & IT, similar to the competitive Life Sciences market.

I read last week Google is planning to spread its offices out post-pandemic. Philadelphia and Baltimore are the only major Northeastern cities without a Google presence, even Pittsburgh has a sizeable Google workforce. Maybe that will change going forward?

Old 05-10-2021, 12:03 PM

1,697 posts, read 970,166 times
A very big part of these mamouth tech companies operational focuses involve getting the best exposure to their target workforce possible. I think Philly HAS to be in the conversation for this reason alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia