Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2021, 12:47 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,992,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephilly79 View Post
Some people seem to want to believe that high murder and poverty rates might go unnoticed when it comes to growth. Unfortunately, those that decide to invest in the city are often most well informed as they have education and resources.
The city of Houston has well over 400 murders with a 30% increase from last year. It doesn't seem to be slowing their growth or investment as a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2021, 02:31 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
The city of Houston has well over 400 murders with a 30% increase from last year. It doesn't seem to be slowing their growth or investment as a city.
Awful numbers, but Houston is still below their all time record (around 700), and has 700,000 more people. Philadelphia is 2nd to Chicago in total murders and is just above Chicago in per capita murders (for cities over 1M). So it definitely shows worse on Philadelphia.

But, growth in Philadelphia clearly hasn't slowed (which is great), and HOPEFULLY 2021 is an off year, but if this trend continues into the 2020s, people, companies, tourists, etc., will notice.

Old 12-09-2021, 05:26 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Just heard a clip on "Morning Joe" of DA Larry Krasner saying "we don't have a crisis of crime" in this city.

No wonder former Mayor Michael Nutter blasted him in that op-ed.

Old 12-09-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Just heard a clip on "Morning Joe" of DA Larry Krasner saying "we don't have a crisis of crime" in this city.

Yea, whether people support him or not, that was a totally inappropriate and tone deaf statement, I don't know how any supporter could justify it.

Old 12-09-2021, 08:22 AM

1,697 posts, read 970,166 times
Quote:

They absolutely slaughtered Krasner.

I still can't believe how easily this arrogant jerk won re-election.

Old 12-09-2021, 08:28 AM

463 posts, read 206,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Yea, whether people support him or not, that was a totally inappropriate and tone deaf statement, I don't know how any supporter could justify it.
He is 100% delusional. He has a belief system that is intangible and largely conceptual. It is a very dangerous game to play because, from his perspective, the larger institution needs to change which means he will try to plow forward with hubris for a long period of time without flinching on his beliefs. We have all seen this type of approach play out throughout history, and it always takes a large toll.

What is bothersome to me, is that others were not speaking out about this until just now. I guess now that Nutter points out the obvious, everyone else can start to question it now too. Better late than never. Although we could have done without comments about white wokeness. This is really about rich, educated Progressive Democrats running their platforms on theory. It is not just white folks, although there is a bizarre twist where many white educated people are bought into this dialogue. And it is pervasive even in corporate culture. I have been subject to enough of these conversations, oftentimes with people at expensive dinners and bellies full of expensive liquor. What these people lack is perspective on how the real world works. But that is just my opinion.

Old 12-09-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephilly79 View Post
He is 100% delusional. He has a belief system that is intangible and largely conceptual. It is a very dangerous game to play because, from his perspective, the larger institution needs to change which means he will try to plow forward with hubris for a long period of time without flinching on his beliefs. We have all seen this type of approach play out throughout history, and it always takes a large toll.

What is bothersome to me, is that others were not speaking out about this until just now. I guess now that Nutter points out the obvious, everyone else can start to question it now too. Better late than never. Although we could have done without comments about white wokeness. This is really about rich, educated Progressive Democrats running their platforms on theory. It is not just white folks, although there is a bizarre twist where many white educated people are bought into this dialogue. And it is pervasive even in corporate culture. I have been subject to enough of these conversations, oftentimes with people at expensive dinners and bellies full of expensive liquor. What these people lack is perspective on how the real world works. But that is just my opinion.
It's not just white folks, true — one of my colleagues at PhillyMag buys into the woke worldview wholesale, and I don't think I have to tell you which one it is — but most of those "rich, educated Progressive Democrats" you speak of are indeed white.

On this subject, even the black "civil rights" activists like Rev. Al Sharpton sound more like Michael Nutter than like Larry Krasner.

Old 12-12-2021, 06:18 AM

Since the crime thread is a dumpster fire. Here is a a positive story for city youth...

Philadelphia Youth Basketball to begin construction on 100,000-square-foot facility

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=1#cxrecs_s

"Philadelphia Youth Basketball is set to begin construction of a 100,000-square-foot facility in the city's Nicetown section."

""This new center will, in essence, create an integrated and active ecosystem that offers transformative opportunities academically, cognitively, physically, civically, vocationally, personally, socially and emotionally for our youth today and for generations to come," Holdsman said in the statement. The facility will not only look to impact young people that are part of Philadelphia Youth Basketball, but also the surrounding community."

Old 12-12-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Since the crime thread is a dumpster fire. Here is a a positive story for city youth...

Philadelphia Youth Basketball to begin construction on 100,000-square-foot facility

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=1#cxrecs_s

"Philadelphia Youth Basketball is set to begin construction of a 100,000-square-foot facility in the city's Nicetown section."

""This new center will, in essence, create an integrated and active ecosystem that offers transformative opportunities academically, cognitively, physically, civically, vocationally, personally, socially and emotionally for our youth today and for generations to come," Holdsman said in the statement. The facility will not only look to impact young people that are part of Philadelphia Youth Basketball, but also the surrounding community."
Glad to hear this is finally getting off the ground. ISTR that the Goldenberg Group had planned to use a youth basketball center as the linchpin of its plans to redevelop the Logan Triangle, which appear to have either gone nowhere or been sent to the deep freeze.

Old 12-12-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Glad to hear this is finally getting off the ground. ISTR that the Goldenberg Group had planned to use a youth basketball center as the linchpin of its plans to redevelop the Logan Triangle, which appear to have either gone nowhere or been sent to the deep freeze.
It's the Goldenberg Group... They irritate me. They sit on so many prime parcels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia