Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2022, 05:27 PM

463 posts, read 206,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
It was the 'old growth trees' that got them all worked up. It's not like new trees aren't being planted. The reason why it pisses me off is this: the Cobbs Creek Parkway and surrounding area a long the course is filthy. Literally terrible most of the time. It's an actual problem. Now outside forces want to clean it up and restore it to a point the community can once again be proud of it (the course has a great history including being the home course of Charlie Sifford). Prominent modern black golfers like Harold Varner have contributed money and pushed for the course to be restored.

That of course doesn't sit right with the anti-growth, anti-economic development, starving artist woke hipsters. Hence why HiddenCity, PlanPhilly, and WHYY have ran numerous nonsense articles about the stupid trees.

I know there has been a lot of turn over in recent years at WHYY, but I'm very much of the opinion that most of their articles on Urbanism and development is anti-intellectual nonsense written by recent grads who are completely out of their depth.. The articles on Washington Ave. remodel were also a good example of this. "showing both sides" when the other side of the argument is complete nonsense isn't 'good journalism' and isn't serving the community properly.
I couldn't agree with you more. Journalism at WHYY and PlanPhilly has deteriorated terribly in the last 5 years. I don't know what the heck happened, but I was a fan of a lot of what they were writing around 2015 and 2016. Now almost every article I read is anti-intellectual garbage. I don't even bother clicking on either site anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2022, 07:08 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
It was the 'old growth trees' that got them all worked up. It's not like new trees aren't being planted. The reason why it pisses me off is this: the Cobbs Creek Parkway and surrounding area a long the course is filthy. Literally terrible most of the time. It's an actual problem. Now outside forces want to clean it up and restore it to a point the community can once again be proud of it (the course has a great history including being the home course of Charlie Sifford). Prominent modern black golfers like Harold Varner have contributed money and pushed for the course to be restored.

That of course doesn't sit right with the anti-growth, anti-economic development, starving artist woke hipsters. Hence why HiddenCity, PlanPhilly, and WHYY have ran numerous nonsense articles about the stupid trees.

I know there has been a lot of turn over in recent years at WHYY, but I'm very much of the opinion that most of their articles on Urbanism and development is anti-intellectual nonsense written by recent grads who are completely out of their depth.. The articles on Washington Ave. remodel were also a good example of this. "showing both sides" when the other side of the argument is complete nonsense isn't 'good journalism' and isn't serving the community properly.
Amen. WHYY, HiddenCity and PhillyVoice ran with the University City Townhomes encampment nonsense. An example of poorly written, poorly researched "journalism" with a blatant (incorrect) agenda.

Even the Inquirer (to an extent) has the mess you talk about.

Anyways, I digress, but you made a great point.

Old 07-25-2022, 08:38 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,524,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Amen. WHYY, HiddenCity and PhillyVoice ran with the University City Townhomes encampment nonsense. An example of poorly written, poorly researched "journalism" with a blatant (incorrect) agenda.

Even the Inquirer (to an extent) has the mess you talk about.

Anyways, I digress, but you made a great point.
The UC Townhomes is another good example. Hardly a single mention of how the agreement of sale has been in place for literally decades. Instead, articles were published full of quotes about 'feelings' from non-professionals who don't actually have any legal standing.

While I always like to joke on the far right-wing people saying they suffer from 'Steve Keeley'-syndrome, the left is afflicted with their own version of it. Call it 'Working Party Family'-syndrome or 'Non-profit savior'-syndrome, it's basically the same thing.

The sad part is Philadelphia's professional class (at least those of us that care enough about civic issues to vote) is weak and an ancient relic. While professionals in SF and NYC can plainly see the delusions of the far-left bring nothing but problems, hence the recall election / election of Eric Adams, the same cannot be said for here. The whacked out left has learned just as little as the whacked out right over the course of the last few years.

I attribute some of the problem to the fact that so much of the 'wealth' of the city isn't actually in the inner city neighborhoods, but instead located out in leafy chestnut hill and other far-flung communities that largely live outside of the communities suffering from the moron policy.

Old 07-25-2022, 12:08 PM

14,196 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
The UC Townhomes is another good example. Hardly a single mention of how the agreement of sale has been in place for literally decades. Instead, articles were published full of quotes about 'feelings' from non-professionals who don't actually have any legal standing.

While I always like to joke on the far right-wing people saying they suffer from 'Steve Keeley'-syndrome, the left is afflicted with their own version of it. Call it 'Working Party Family'-syndrome or 'Non-profit savior'-syndrome, it's basically the same thing.

The sad part is Philadelphia's professional class (at least those of us that care enough about civic issues to vote) is weak and an ancient relic. While professionals in SF and NYC can plainly see the delusions of the far-left bring nothing but problems, hence the recall election / election of Eric Adams, the same cannot be said for here. The whacked out left has learned just as little as the whacked out right over the course of the last few years.

I attribute some of the problem to the fact that so much of the 'wealth' of the city isn't actually in the inner city neighborhoods, but instead located out in leafy chestnut hill and other far-flung communities that largely live outside of the communities suffering from the moron policy.
Was it an actual agreement of sale, or was it a time-limited affordable housing restriction, at the expiration of which the developer could do whatever they wanted with the property?

Many subsidized privately built projects have such time limits built into the documents creating the affordable project.

Old 07-25-2022, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Was it an actual agreement of sale, or was it a time-limited affordable housing restriction, at the expiration of which the developer could do whatever they wanted with the property?

Many subsidized privately built projects have such time limits built into the documents creating the affordable project.
It was the bolded part. The owners could have renewed the lease with HUD, but chose not to two years ago.

So instead of Jamie Gauthier being pro-active and helping making sure voucher users land on their feet somewhere, she decided to try to implement an illegal spot re-zoning of the land, by her words, to "devalue" the land. She's a world-class idiot. Honestly, it's hilarious how people thought she was going to be a change from Blackwell. Gauthier is basically all the things people said they didn't like about Blackwell (backroom dealing, constant 'shake-downs' of stakeholders to get what she want), and not the positive things Blackwell brought (the push for a better city and community).

Which really brings up a bigger point in how the city gov't loves to pass laws and then not try at all to enforce them. There's a ton of evidence that some landlords illegally deny housing vouchers, but no one does anything about it because fixing real structural problems is hard and takes backbone, and showing up with your friends at Reclaim Philadelphia to protest and complain is easy.

Old 07-25-2022, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Which really brings up a bigger point in how the city gov't loves to pass laws and then not try at all to enforce them. There's a ton of evidence that some landlords illegally deny housing vouchers, but no one does anything about it because fixing real structural problems is hard and takes backbone, and showing up with your friends at Reclaim Philadelphia to protest and complain is easy.

I.E.: Helen Gym talking about the "Just Services" campaign today. Just like the A/Cs in the schools, it's all just a bunch of hot air that doesn't come close to the ground of reality.

Old 07-26-2022, 01:27 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,607,615 times
Quote:
I think this is symptomatic of the American political system writ large, although clearly it's most acute in cities like Philadelphia that really, really need competent and pragmatic government officials to handle the enormity of challenges.

We're at a point in American governance where style and symbolism have completely overtaken nitty-gritty issues, and obscenely toxic polarization has filtered down to local elected officials, causing them to act in a national virtue-signaling fashion, rather than achieving meaningful results.

This goes for someone like Helen Gym, who relishes an opportunity to be a liberal caricature, but it also applies to a local GOP State Rep. like Martina White, who's clearly taken lessons from Focus on the Family by thinking that banning transgender participation in sports is Philadelphia's most pressing priority.

In both examples, you have politicians that are way too often puppets of national political extremes and agendas. Meanwhile, the vast majority of the electorate that resides in the middle suffers.

Old 07-26-2022, 01:35 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Brandywine Realty Trust brings on JV partner to develop $307M building at 3151 Market

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...51-market.html

Old 07-26-2022, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I think this is symptomatic of the American political system writ large, although clearly it's most acute in cities like Philadelphia that really, really need competent and pragmatic government officials to handle the enormity of challenges.

We're at a point in American governance where style and symbolism have completely overtaken nitty-gritty issues, and obscenely toxic polarization has filtered down to local elected officials, causing them to act in a national virtue-signaling fashion, rather than achieving meaningful results.

This goes for someone like Helen Gym, who relishes an opportunity to be a liberal caricature, but it also applies to a local GOP State Rep. like Martina White, who's clearly taken lessons from Focus on the Family by thinking that banning transgender participation in sports is Philadelphia's most pressing priority.

In both examples, you have politicians that are way too often puppets of national political extremes and agendas. Meanwhile, the vast majority of the electorate that resides in the middle suffers.

100% agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Brandywine Realty Trust brings on JV partner to develop $307M building at 3151 Market

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...51-market.html
That's cool. I was hoping it was the Big Red tower, but still awesome. The Schuylkill Yards is at long last starting to shape up.

Old 07-27-2022, 06:36 AM

Three-quarters of millennials living in Philly grew up nearby, per a new census study

Basically in line with the rest of the country. Millennials just did not go as far as previous generations. The Census shows 8 out of 10 millennials reported living within 100 miles of where they grew up nation-wide.

https://www.census.gov/library/stori...like-home.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia