Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2022, 06:47 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Three-quarters of millennials living in Philly grew up nearby, per a new census study

Basically in line with the rest of the country. Millennials just did not go as far as previous generations. The Census shows 8 out of 10 millennials reported living within 100 miles of where they grew up nation-wide.

https://www.census.gov/library/stori...like-home.html
Philadelphia still hasn't cracked that top 10 destinations for young people. Hoping that slowly changes. The cards are in Philadelphia's favor in every aspect except crime (even though fluffy DC gets a pass on crime).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2022, 07:25 AM

471 posts, read 272,281 times
Quote:
Three-quarters of millennials living in Philly grew up nearby, per a new census study

Basically in line with the rest of the country. Millennials just did not go as far as previous generations. The Census shows 8 out of 10 millennials reported living within 100 miles of where they grew up nation-wide.

Interesting - while this is obviously anecdotal, only 2 people in my regular group of friends are from the area. One is Philly born and raised, and one is from Delco. On the other hand, I grew up in Kentucky, my girlfriend is from Pakistan, my best friend is from the UK, and other close friends are from Florida, the DC area, and Texas.

When I was single though, it did seem like every single girl I met while out was from Jersey lol.

Between 2006 and 2014, Philly had the fastest growing millennial population of the 10 largest cities: https://www.phillymag.com/business/2...al-population/

Old 07-27-2022, 07:32 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Philadelphia still hasn't cracked that top 10 destinations for young people. Hoping that slowly changes. The cards are in Philadelphia's favor in every aspect except crime (even though fluffy DC gets a pass on crime).

Yeah, I find the Top 10 chart pretty interesting. I won't lie, I find almost every 2020 Census number about Chicago to be pretty suspect. Bad job growth, every population estimate was negative the whole decade before, and the state is racing towards a fiscal cliff still. So seeing them as #4 overall ahead of every city in Texas and Florida seems highly suspect.

A very real aspect to it all to, is every year, about two weeks from now, thousands of 18 y/o freshly minted high school grads pack up their parents car and drive to Philadelphia to start their higher education journey. As Campus Philly always points out, just retaining a higher % of those people post-graduation can and will do wonders. I'm pretty sure all the schools around Philadelphia have been fairing very well in the US News rankings, so it's not like we are 'falling off'.. If anything, like you said, it's probably moving in the correct direction.

Old 07-27-2022, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
Interesting - while this is obviously anecdotal, only 2 people in my regular group of friends are from the area. One is Philly born and raised, and one is from Delco. On the other hand, I grew up in Kentucky, my girlfriend is from Pakistan, my best friend is from the UK, and other close friends are from Florida, the DC area, and Texas.

When I was single though, it did seem like every single girl I met while out was from Jersey lol.

Between 2006 and 2014, Philly had the fastest growing millennial population of the 10 largest cities: https://www.phillymag.com/business/2...al-population/

Oh, I'm not surprised. Philadelphia is a big city (even though some people act like it's the world's biggest small town, but that's a different conversation). I hang out with a group of guys who all grew up with each other in Raleigh but live in Philadelphia now. Hell, I know multiple people who didn't grow up in the region who have bought houses in South Philadelphia in the last few months and have plans to stay for a very long time. The times are a-changing.

Old 07-27-2022, 08:14 AM

Philadelphia to host WrestleMania 40 - WWE

Color me a little disappointed it isn't WrestleMania 42 in 2026, but it's still cool the biggest event will be here. The last time it was in Philadelphia it attracted 156,000 over two days. It's a big event.

Old 07-27-2022, 08:31 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:

Very interesting, thanks for posting. I think it's also worth noting that Philadelphia's central location in the Northeast Corridor is also a big factor in the lower than average migration distance for Millennials. Philly is simply among the most proximate to other large population center in the US, versus places like Seattle or Denver, where transplants are typically migrating much further by virtue of their more isolated Western US geography.

The lion's share of Philly's young adult transplants have historically come from places like NYC, DC/Baltimore, Boston, and a smattering of other smaller PA and Upstate NY metros. But it is slowly but surely becoming more nationalized (and international) in its pull.

Last edited by Duderino; 07-27-2022 at 08:40 AM..

Old 07-27-2022, 08:54 AM

Changing topics a bit. A beautiful project is planned for 2207 Walnut and of course it is running into issues.

And gotta love the misleading headline. I really hope this project moves forward, I don't understand the historical commission mindset regarding height...

Site in question for those unsure, third building from the corner... https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9511...7i16384!8i8192

10-story condo building proposed amid townhouses on Walnut Street

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20220727.html

As residential real estate interest in Center City Philadelphia continues unabated, developers are looking for ways to add density in the midst of streets lined with historic townhouses.

Despite a crown of skyscrapers and a smattering of high-rise apartment buildings, most of Center City’s housing stock is still rowhouses. They may be taller and wider than their counterparts in Kensington or South Philadelphia, but they are consistent with the design/look/architecture in the rest of the city.

Now developers are trying to add density to this historic streetscape, within the confines of narrow rowhouse lots.

“Center City has become very popular, very desirable, and we are getting a lot of people coming in from New York and other places,” said Sergio Coscia, principal with the CosciaMoos architecture firm in Philadelphia. “There’s a market for a product that’s not typically Philadelphia, that’s more sophisticated.”

Coscia’s firm is trying to convince the Philadelphia Historical Commission to allow the construction of his firm’s design for a 10-story, 29-condo building at 2204 Walnut St. The adjacent buildings are slightly less than half the size, although there are other tall multifamily buildings on immediate blocks around the site.
The development, from Cal Leslie’s Flamingo Bay Investments, fits the zoning for the parcel and will not need a variance. But it lies within the Rittenhouse-Fitler Historic District, so plans must be approved by the city’s historical commission.

At a May meeting, the commission approved the demolition of the vacant four-story building on the site but voted against CosciaMoos’ design proposal. Members argued that it was too tall and that the white facade did not fit with the “muted earth tones” that dominate the neighborhood’s historic buildings.
Coscia and his team have since made some tweaks, principally to the color of the bricks, without compromising on the size or density of the proposal. They will appear before the historical commission again next month but first suffered criticism from the commission’s advisory architectural committee for not reducing the structure’s size.

“You are more than doubling the height of this existing block,” committee member Amy Stein said at a July 26 meeting. “I think the height overwhelms the other buildings in this district. … it seems too tall, and it’s not sympathetic to the historic context.”

Coscia contends that the relevant comparison should not be the broader historic district but the 2200 block of Walnut itself. The nine-story Roosevelt Apartments building sits at the west end of the block and the 11-story Walnut Plaza condominiums are kitty-corner to the site. Facing the proposed condo tower is a suburban-scale Sunoco gas station.

“I don’t think it’s out of scale,” Coscia said. “Look across the street at the gas station, why don’t you do something about that? That’s what’s killing the pedestrian experience. We’re trying to improve it.”
Coscia argues that more density needs to be added to this part of Center City, especially if retail offerings are to be sustainable. The proposed building at 2204 Walnut includes 1,175 square feet of retail, which Coscia hopes will end up as an art gallery.

While leasing on the core commercial corridors of Walnut and Chestnut is strengthening, Coscia notes that on the margins of downtown, the COVID-19 era retail rebound is struggling.

“If you don’t allow more density, retail is not going to work,” Coscia said. “Buildings further into Center City are having a hard time leasing spaces because there’s not enough people to support small businesses.”

Much of the new residential supply coming online in Center City will be contained in major new developments such as the 253-unit Laurel on Rittenhouse Square. But there has also been a trend toward smaller projects arising in the midst of historic residential rows. Other recent examples include the six-story multifamily building at 262 N. 16th St., next to Monk’s Cafe, or the 10-unit condo building at 2110 Walnut.

The Historical Commission will consider the revised 2204 Walnut St. proposal at 9 a.m. Aug. 12.

Old 07-27-2022, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Very interesting, thanks for posting. I think it's also worth noting that Philadelphia's central location in the Northeast Corridor is also a big factor in the lower than average migration distance for Millennials. Philly is simply among the most proximate to other large population center in the US, versus places like Seattle or Denver, where transplants are typically migrating much further by virtue of their more isolated Western US geography.

The lion's share of Philly's young adult transplants have historically come from places like NYC, DC/Baltimore, Boston, and a smattering of other smaller PA and Upstate NY metros. But it is slowly but surely becoming more nationalized (and international) in its pull.

Yeah, it makes sense. When you are in a more populated super-region people tend to not have to go as far to find what they are looking for. Unless of course you are NYC or LA, or some other place that anchors it's own region far away from everyone else. I think in the grand scheme of things, being a landing spot for immigrates is just as equally, if not more so, important. Net-migration is going to continue to be negative for the foreseeable future (though the south is getting more expensive incredibly quick that will slow the flow), but being a welcoming spot for immigrants is crucial to continued vitality as birth-rates in the US continue to drop.

Old 07-27-2022, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Changing topics a bit. A beautiful project is planned for 2207 Walnut and of course it is running into issues.

And gotta love the misleading headline. I really hope this project moves forward, I don't understand the historical commission mindset regarding height...

Site in question for those unsure, third building from the corner... https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9511...7i16384!8i8192

10-story condo building proposed amid townhouses on Walnut Street

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20220727.html

Yeah, I'm with you on the headline. That block (especially the south side where the building would be) is not townhouses. I actually think the size and height of the building is very appropriate for the block. 10-stories imo is the sweet spot for a lot of the older blocks in Center City to add more density and more housing. Very annoyed the historical commission is causing a stink about it.

Old 07-27-2022, 11:41 AM

Another big event coming to Philadelphia.

Philadelphia to host WrestleMania 40

https://www.wwe.com/shows/wrestleman...ial-field-2024
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia