Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2023, 10:31 AM

86 posts, read 60,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Responding to your more substantive point now.

Actually, the buildings you see popping up all over the place now are rental apartments, not condos. SFR construction has pretty much dried up after the halving of the property tax abatement — which was really a subsidy to the builder more than it was a break for the buyer.

Industry trade publications say that demand for rental apartments in the city actually outstrips supply, which means that these new buildings fill pretty quickly after leasing starts.

I do tend to tell people that owning a condo gives you the worst of both worlds: If it breaks, you have to pay to fix it, and you keep paying "rent" for as long as you live there (in the form of the condo fee).

My most recent print column speculates that with all these new apartments coming on line, Philly may become a majority-renter city in the near future. Most of those who I spoke with for the article don't see that happening, but it could have interesting implications for our politics (for instance, rent control is already being discussed after having been a non-issue for some 70-odd years save for a brief attempt to bring it back in the 1970s).
Having owned a 2,000 sq ft house for 8 years and our condos in Philadelphia for 5, I have to disagree. Having a condo is less maintenance and stress than having a SFH. Our HOA takes care of exterior issues (still have nightmares over recalled siding that we had to foot the bill for on our house) and covers several utilities.

It may not sound like a huge deal, but managing landscaping, water, trash/recycling, electric, gas, pest control, internet, etc felt like a second job sometimes. What I also appreciate about having a condo is our mortgage is fixed and we don’t have to worry about rent increases pushing us to move every few years. I think there are still a lot of good opportunities to own a property in Philadelphia but hopefully those renting have better quality building than what was previously available.

Our city would improve greatly if some of the decaying properties were removed and more green spaces and updated buildings were constructed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2023, 11:27 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
"Philly's so great that I live in NYC!"
"Philly's so great that I live in Boston!"

LOL!
Clever!

Sometimes personal circumstances take people to other places, but that doesn't mean we can't participate in a civil conversation about goings-on in our home regions, because we care.

Is that such a bad thing?

Old 07-09-2023, 04:01 PM

1,213 posts, read 953,967 times
Quote:

LOL!

I see condos popping up all over the place (Lehigh Ave, Delaware Ave, Spring Garden St, Rhawn St), which I suppose is OK ... I'd rather see single family dwellings like Northbank on the river in Fishtown.
Too many ways to get screwed in a condo situation.
Oh Hermie. Poor sweet Hermie. LOL... so lacking in knowledge, yet so quick to type. Google Hermie, Google. It'll help you...

Old 07-09-2023, 04:09 PM

2,045 posts, read 782,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Oh Hermie. Poor sweet Hermie. LOL... so lacking in knowledge, yet so quick to type. Google Hermie, Google. It'll help you...
Do it for me. John Bolaris is now in the Philadelphia real estate game.

Old 07-09-2023, 04:43 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:

LOL!
What can I do to make it better?

Old 07-09-2023, 05:32 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Do it for me. John Bolaris is now in the Philadelphia real estate game.
Anything I can do by way of illumination there?

Old 07-09-2023, 05:37 PM

2,045 posts, read 782,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
What can I do to make it better?
It would entail acts of selflessness ... so I'm guessing nothing.

Old 07-09-2023, 07:16 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,116,133 times
I think those users relocated from Philly for job opportunities, which leads me to my main gripe: The job sprawl/decentralization in Philadelphia is terrible.

Similarly, Does anyone else find it frustrating when job postings claim to be in Philadelphia, but are actually located in KOP or a city that is 40 minutes away from Center City?

Old 07-10-2023, 06:30 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
I think those users relocated from Philly for job opportunities, which leads me to my main gripe: The job sprawl/decentralization in Philadelphia is terrible.

Similarly, Does anyone else find it frustrating when job postings claim to be in Philadelphia, but are actually located in KOP or a city that is 40 minutes away from Center City?
On this topic...

My current employer has its HQ in Atlanta, but NYC is the largest office, conveniently located in the Flat Iron District of NYC.

My employer has a "Philadelphia" office in Mt. Laurel... which proves to be a disadvantage for growing the Philly headcount. I see this location misdirect more often in Philadelphia than other major cities.

There are rumors that senior staff are considering a move to Center City (years away), in which case I would seriously consider a transfer. I would happily live in Philadelphia (still visit at least twice a month for work), but my career brought me to NYC...it is what it is... But according to Hermit... that makes me selfish.

Last edited by cpomp; 07-10-2023 at 06:41 AM..

Old 07-10-2023, 07:35 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
On this topic...

My current employer has its HQ in Atlanta, but NYC is the largest office, conveniently located in the Flat Iron District of NYC.

My employer has a "Philadelphia" office in Mt. Laurel... which proves to be a disadvantage for growing the Philly headcount. I see this location misdirect more often in Philadelphia than other major cities.

There are rumors that senior staff are considering a move to Center City (years away), in which case I would seriously consider a transfer. I would happily live in Philadelphia (still visit at least twice a month for work), but my career brought me to NYC...it is what it is... But according to Hermit... that makes me selfish.
Your "act of selflessness," then, is to push the senior staff in the right direction, namely, to move your company's Philadelphia office to Philadelphia.

However: if I recall William H. Whyte's revelatory research in "City: Rediscovering the Center," the person you may need to push the hardest is the person in charge of the local office. Where does that person live? If their address is in a ZIP code with 0 as its first digit, it's going to be a harder sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia