Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2023, 08:33 AM

188 posts, read 128,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
And American Street is one of the nicest recent city road improvement projects. Its looks better than many wide roads in/near Center City, and creates a nice anchor for that neighborhood.

I also like most of the new buildings going up along American. Nice to see thoughtful designs for a change.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9776...8192?entry=ttu
It's interesting to take a Google street view like that one and go back to the 2007 view and see the difference. There are many examples throughout the city that makes it difficult to say the city hasn't seen a ton of improvement. A lot of that improvement happened during the pandemic, so i think it's reasonable to expect more in the near future. I think that maybe some of these projects might end up looking bad down the road, but a lot of the multi family projects seem pretty solid. And if the neighborhood stays popular and value goes up I don't see why the ones that don't weather well wouldn't get renovated. Personally it seems like more of the sfh are poorly constructed, or at least were until more recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
Here's my pipe dream for neighborhoods like Kensington: A mix of affordable, solidly-built townhomes, twins and single family homes. Not low income, but rows for 225K, twins for 325K and singles for 425K. Build a neighborhood for Philadelphia families who want to remain in Philadelphia and raise kids.
Enough with the ugly, cheaply-built, Soviet-era style rental buildings that cater to single transplants.

Before anybody goes on the defensive, like I said - 'pipe dream.'
That would be fantastic. Personally it's pretty difficult with a family of 4 in a 2br row. Prices in a lot of the desirable neighborhoods have gotten too high, especially with mortgage rates. In addition most still seem focused on dinks, or new families that will be moving out of the city in a couple years. They don't even really add that much more space for the extra $$, especially since more people are working from home and need an office space, myself included. There's got to be a market for those wishing to stick it out in the city and raise their kids in a place they can walk to school, the library, playgrounds, etc., Or bike/take transit to places further out. I grew up in the country and remember the constant boredom of being stuck and dependent on my parents to go anywhere interesting. Even biking was difficult outside of town where shoulders/sidewalks ended and speed limits went up through farmland. Having a big yard only goes so far.

Last edited by skintreesnail; 07-22-2023 at 09:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2023, 09:04 AM

2,045 posts, read 788,024 times
Yes, there have been improvements in the city, but with every improvement, there's another area that's in decline.

Old 07-22-2023, 09:21 AM

^^^ is it really 1 to one though? I've heard that neighborhoods in NE Philadelphia are seeing problems, but i don't know how much of that is true vs just fear of change. NW Philadelphia, south Philly, center city, west Philly and parts of near north Philly (fishtown/old Kensington, lolibs, brewerytown, francisville, Fairmount) all seem much better off than when I moved here in 2005. I never really go anywhere in NE philly to say one way or the other, but doesn't seem like it would counterbalance the other areas i listed that i know have improved.

Old 07-22-2023, 10:37 AM

Ahhh ... the old 'fear of change.' lol Nah, most every NE Philly neighborhood has actually gotten worse since 2005.
I used to have family in SW Philly back then. I can't imagine Eastwick and those neighborhoods have gotten better.

Neighborhoods only seem to 'get better' when the main demographic moving in is white professionals with money.

You can't always judge an area by property value ... Is CC better today than it was in 2005? I'd say 'no' and it doesn't matter how much the properties are worth.

Last edited by Hermit12; 07-22-2023 at 10:50 AM..

Old 07-22-2023, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skintreesnail View Post

That would be fantastic. Personally it's pretty difficult with a family of 4 in a 2br row. Prices in a lot of the desirable neighborhoods have gotten too high, especially with mortgage rates. In addition most still seem focused on dinks, or new families that will be moving out of the city in a couple years. They don't even really add that much more space for the extra $$, especially since more people are working from home and need an office space, myself included. There's got to be a market for those wishing to stick it out in the city and raise their kids in a place they can walk to school, the library, playgrounds, etc., Or bike/take transit to places further out. I grew up in the country and remember the constant boredom of being stuck and dependent on my parents to go anywhere interesting. Even biking was difficult outside of town where shoulders/sidewalks ended and speed limits went up through farmland. Having a big yard only goes so far.
There are plenty of three bedroom rows that were built in the past ... I don't see why it can't be done today at a reasonable cost.

Old 07-22-2023, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Ahhh ... the old 'fear of change.' lol Nah, most every NE Philly neighborhood has actually gotten worse since 2005.
I used to have family in SW Philly back then. I can't imagine Eastwick and those neighborhoods have gotten better.

Neighborhoods only seem to 'get better' when the main demographic moving in is white professionals with money.

You can't always judge an area by property value ... Is CC better today than it was in 2005? I'd say 'no' and it doesn't matter how much the properties are worth.
People can take an interest in making their community better no matter what background they come from. Money helps accelerate things, and connections, but so do creative and grassroots efforts. Maybe it sounds hokey, but I've seen cases where enough people getting together gets stuff done. I think caring about your neighborhood plays a bigger part than being rich and white.

And you really think center city was better off in 2005? No Schuylkill river trail, no barnes museum, no sister cities park, no dilworth plaza, comcast centers weren't there along with a ton of other development, nowhere close the restaurant or bar selection, i mean city hall courtyard was wrapped in a chain link fence instead of wrought iron, there was still a problem with crime and homelessness, no Christmas market, or all the other things to do around the holidays, the liberty bell was still in a shed instead of the museum there now, curse of billy penn was still in effect, etc. University city has seen similar growth with all the development there. I just was flying a kite in penn park today with my kid, which was a giant usps parking lot in 2005. I'm fairly certain that a lot of the events that happen now, like summer fest or the stuff on the parkway didn't exist in 2005.

Last edited by skintreesnail; 07-22-2023 at 01:28 PM..

Old 07-22-2023, 01:23 PM

Quote:
People can take an interest in making their community better no matter what background they come from. Money helps accelerate things, and connections, but so do creative and grassroots efforts. Maybe it sounds hokey, but I've seen cases where enough people getting together gets stuff done. I think caring about your neighborhood plays a bigger part than being rich and white.

And you really think center city was better off in 2005? No Schuylkill river trail, no barnes museum, no sister cities park, no dilworth plaza, comcast centers weren't there along with a ton of other development, nowhere close the restaurant or bar selection, i mean city hall courtyard was wrapped in a chain link fence instead of wrought iron, there was still a problem with crime and homelessness, no Christmas market, or all the other things to do around the holidays, the liberty bell was still in a shed instead of the museum there now, curse of billy penn was still in effect, etc.
There were just as many bars and restaurants, if not more ... but, yes, it seemed better than today ... but we all view things differently.
It's actually pretty much the same, except there's more homeless and crazies around. A better point would be comparing 1985 to today ... And even then you'd have people who liked it better back then.

The Curse of Billy Penn was never really a thing ... just Philly trying to get some attention.

Last edited by Hermit12; 07-22-2023 at 01:35 PM..

Old 07-22-2023, 01:34 PM

Quote:
The Curse of Billy Penn was never really a thing.
I'm pretty sure you just re-cursed us.

Old 07-22-2023, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure you just re-cursed us.
Haha ... RED OCTOBER! Plus, the Birds have a legitimate shot. Go put $50 on them to win the NFC.

Old 07-22-2023, 02:12 PM

1,213 posts, read 956,927 times
Quote:
Try to keep your emotions under control.

Pretty smug for someone who can't accept the fact that most of these new builds are crap. I don't need to provide blueprints and a materials list to someone who's on par with Norman the Viking. There's enough evidence out there ... it's on you if you're taking it personal. Kind of weird that you're taking it so personal, actually.

It's common knowledge in the industry that these are 'fifty year houses.' YOU prove me wrong.
Ah, the old, "I make a wild claim that it most likely largely inaccurate and then ask others to disprove my unsubstantiated claim" approach. Well played Hermie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia