Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2023, 02:45 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skintreesnail View Post
People can take an interest in making their community better no matter what background they come from. Money helps accelerate things, and connections, but so do creative and grassroots efforts. Maybe it sounds hokey, but I've seen cases where enough people getting together gets stuff done. I think caring about your neighborhood plays a bigger part than being rich and white.

And you really think center city was better off in 2005? No Schuylkill river trail, no barnes museum, no sister cities park, no dilworth plaza, comcast centers weren't there along with a ton of other development, nowhere close the restaurant or bar selection, i mean city hall courtyard was wrapped in a chain link fence instead of wrought iron, there was still a problem with crime and homelessness, no Christmas market, or all the other things to do around the holidays, the liberty bell was still in a shed instead of the museum there now, curse of billy penn was still in effect, etc. University city has seen similar growth with all the development there. I just was flying a kite in penn park today with my kid, which was a giant usps parking lot in 2005. I'm fairly certain that a lot of the events that happen now, like summer fest or the stuff on the parkway didn't exist in 2005.
I moved here in 1983, and today's Philadelphia is a much better place to live now than it was then. I'd also say that things began to change for the better during the Ed Rendell administration (1992-2000). So the buildings being built now are being cheaply built? Nothing save a few Center City skyscrapers was getting built at all before 1991 (the year the 10-year tax abatement first took effect). I'll take now over then as well. (Though psychologically, maybe the rise of One Liberty Place, which both broke the "gentlemen's agreement" that made Philly's downtown skyine a municipal buzz cut and "brought on the curse of Billy Penn", was the actual trigger for the city's upward trajectory since.)

The surge in crime that has everyone pulling out their worry beads now is receding, and that's with the current Mayor, DA and Police Commish still in office. I argued during the pandemic that the disapperance of the ecosystem of alternatives (activities, de-escalation groups, and so on) actually had more to do with the rise than the tough-on-crime crowd asserted, and events appear to be proving me right. Crime aside, I'd say just about everything about Philadelphia now is better than it was in 2005, cheap construction notwithstanding. I remember saying to people in the mid-2000s that "the city I live in now is only about 10 years old." It's aged a bit since but remains young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2023, 05:13 PM

188 posts, read 127,303 times
absolutely, the pandemic had a big impact on so much, I think I've read crime increased in pretty much all big cities. Your point about the impact on stuff to do and other organizations mentioned makes complete sense. I noticed that homicides are down 23% so far this year, so I hope that trend continues. And yeah, I'll take a bit of cheap construction if it means maintaining the forward momentum for the city.

Old 07-22-2023, 05:36 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
absolutely, the pandemic had a big impact on so much, I think I've read crime increased in pretty much all big cities. Your point about the impact on stuff to do and other organizations mentioned makes complete sense. I noticed that homicides are down 23% so far this year, so I hope that trend continues. And yeah, I'll take a bit of cheap construction if it means maintaining the forward momentum for the city.
Indeed. And quibbles about modern architecture and building practices aside, at least Philadelphia appears to have the political wherewithal and industry capacity to keep housing prices affordable for the middle class for the foreseeable future, which is not the case in almost every other large city in the US right now.

I credit its rowhome model for that fact: no American other city has such widespread and equitable homeownership options. It's literally a city of entire neighborhoods of "tiny houses" with as small parcels of land as they come, but with more reasonable interior space and proper utilities. And it keeps mega-corporate real estate interests at bay and restricted to larger Center City lots.

That's the "secret sauce" to keeping real estate in the hands and in the reach of the middle-class.

Old 07-23-2023, 06:32 AM

1,213 posts, read 953,967 times
This corner is going to look completely unrecognizable soon. Can't wait.
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...r-of-2nd-race/

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-23-2023 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: Off topic

Old 07-23-2023, 09:24 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I moved here in 1983, and today's Philadelphia is a much better place to live now than it was then. I'd also say that things began to change for the better during the Ed Rendell administration (1992-2000). So the buildings being built now are being cheaply built? Nothing save a few Center City skyscrapers was getting built at all before 1991 (the year the 10-year tax abatement first took effect). I'll take now over then as well. (Though psychologically, maybe the rise of One Liberty Place, which both broke the "gentlemen's agreement" that made Philly's downtown skyine a municipal buzz cut and "brought on the curse of Billy Penn", was the actual trigger for the city's upward trajectory since.)

The surge in crime that has everyone pulling out their worry beads now is receding, and that's with the current Mayor, DA and Police Commish still in office. I argued during the pandemic that the disapperance of the ecosystem of alternatives (activities, de-escalation groups, and so on) actually had more to do with the rise than the tough-on-crime crowd asserted, and events appear to be proving me right. Crime aside, I'd say just about everything about Philadelphia now is better than it was in 2005, cheap construction notwithstanding. I remember saying to people in the mid-2000s that "the city I live in now is only about 10 years old." It's aged a bit since but remains young.
My dad worked in Center City from 1980 until Dec 2019 (he retired right before Covid, good timing).
He stills visits the city about once a month for dinners or with the grandkids, they love the Franklin Institute.

You and others already provided great points, and to add, my dad specifically said (when he retired) the vitality of Center City in 2019 was at it's peak during his time working there, especially compared to the 90s. Covid has since messed things up, but the momentum in 2023 feels close to 2019.
And I'm sure some people miss the old days or certain edgy characteristics from 20 years ago, but it's fair to say that Center City is ahead of where it was in 2005. Whether people prefer 2005 is a different discussion. Similar to New York in the 1980s. I've been told by older people that NYC in the 80s has a special place in their memory, but the city is worlds better today than back then.

Quote:
Per the crime thread on City Data, so far this year, Philadelphia has among the most notable decreases in homicides and shootings for big cities. A promising trend going into the next administration.

Old 07-23-2023, 11:20 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
"Sad and ugly little mini tower at 2nd & Race belongs in the burbs or somewhere on the coast, not in Old City, yet the ZBA approved this truly uninspired design, with little fanfare or opposition. Go figure."
De gustibus non disputandum est. From the article in the OCF blog, on MORRISSEY's design for this building:

Quote:
We are huge fans of the design here, with top-notch materials pairing with a refined, modern touch to create something that will definitely make a statement across from the gorgeously jaunty Bridge on Race by Gluck+ across the street.
It clearly will play second fiddle to the building across Race, but does every building in a district have to be a prima donna? There's room for a supporting cast as well.

Old 07-23-2023, 02:44 PM

2,045 posts, read 782,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
This corner is going to look completely unrecognizable soon. Can't wait.
https://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phil...r-of-2nd-race/
"Sad and ugly little mini tower at 2nd & Race belongs in the burbs or somewhere on the coast, not in Old City, yet the ZBA approved this truly uninspired design, with little fanfare or opposition. Go figure."

I agree with Karig2 on this one. Ironic that the tag on it in the first picture is 'KRAP.'

Old 07-24-2023, 10:33 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Calder Gardens, a new museum dedicated to one of Philadelphia’s most famous artists, is finally underway

https://www.inquirer.com/arts/calder...-20230724.html

So far, the project is on schedule, and is to open in late 2024 or early 2025.
When Calder Gardens is complete, its supporters say it will add to Philadelphia’s reputation as a cultural destination and also honor the Calder family’s sizable artistic legacy in the city.

Old 08-11-2023, 12:57 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,116,133 times
The new 76ers Arena proposal reserves 20% of the units for affordable housing.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/76ers-ne...ngs-chinatown/

Old 08-11-2023, 04:24 PM

2,045 posts, read 782,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
The new 76ers Arena proposal reserves 20% of the units for affordable housing.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/76ers-ne...ngs-chinatown/
What's 'affordable housing'? Section 8? $1100 a month?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia