Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 03:46 AM

14,194 posts, read 9,089,745 times

Advertisements

Not just jobs (and the good news is that job creation has picked up in the city over the past two years. Now to figure out what we've suddenly started doing right).

Education also remains an issue.

The public schools may not be as bad as everyone says they are, but they're still nowhere near where they need to be.

And we need better parents in some places as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 07:07 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimshady123 View Post
You guys are right the issue of affordability is truly just a symptom of a job problem. I did not know that the bill only affected center city which isn't really in Sanchez's area. So what are suggestions to improve the jobs situation in the city because really we all want people out of poverty
There was also an eye opening article recently about how Philadelphia has the largest disparity of wealth and poverty between the city and suburbs, more so then any other major metro area in the country. Chester County has something like 3% of its population living below the poverty line. Putting everything into perspective, is affordable housing really the city's biggest problem?? I think our "leaders" need to get their heads out of the sand and each others behinds and focus on the real issues at hand... poverty, jobs, schools, taxes, safety, etc. Affordable housing shouldn't even be on the front line right now.

Amazing how leaders are turning their heads at CC flashmobs, yet all this continued hysteria about how unaffordable Philadelphia is (which is totally false).

If Philadelphia landed Amazon then affordable housing can come into play.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:53 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
There was also an eye opening article recently about how Philadelphia has the largest disparity of wealth and poverty between the city and suburbs, more so then any other major metro area in the country. Chester County has something like 3% of its population living below the poverty line. Putting everything into perspective, is affordable housing really the city's biggest problem?? I think our "leaders" need to get their heads out of the sand and each others behinds and focus on the real issues at hand... poverty, jobs, schools, taxes, safety, etc. Affordable housing shouldn't even be on the front line right now.

Amazing how leaders are turning their heads at CC flashmobs, yet all this continued hysteria about how unaffordable Philadelphia is (which is totally false).

I'm going keep saying this until younger people get mad at me and do something YOURSELVES. Want better or different leadership here or elsewhere? Make the commitment to fill those leadership roles and stop whining about how awful xyz politician is.

Boomers pols will not leave until you make us leave public life. You have the numbers to do it so get on with it. Put your phones down and think. Will you?

There is something fundamentally wrong with having two aging geezer Boomers candidates for POTUS in 2016. And now Sanders is kinda making inferences that he running again in 2020 at nearly 80 years of age. A possible fact that I find insane.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:55 AM

288 posts, read 245,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I'm going keep saying this until younger people get mad at me and do something YOURSELVES. Want better or different leadership here or elsewhere? Make the commitment to fill those leadership roles and stop whining about how awful xyz politician is.

Boomers pols will not leave until you make us leave public life. You have the numbers to do it so get on with it. Put your phones down and think. Will you?

There is something fundamentally wrong with having two aging geezer Boomers candidates for POTUS in 2016. And now Sanders is kinda making inferences that he running again in 2020 at nearly 80 years of age. A possible fact that I find insane.
Mark Cuban 2020~!

Old 11-29-2017, 10:32 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,944,919 times
Quote:

If only large numbers of young people had the financial independence and wealth necessary to run a campaign and win an election in our political system. The other problem is the average voting age is probably about 74-it doesn't cost money to vote, although many people-especially in younger generations- have had that right taken away due to our injustice system and "The New Jim Crow"-mass incarceration.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:37 AM

82 posts, read 69,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Do you have a link to the article? would love to read it?

I really think a lot of this is very interconnected as well. Because the school district has failed many people, they are not qualified for available jobs. Thus people from the suburbs, out of region, people fortunate like me since my parents were able to afford private school. This has created a lot of tension as the people from out of town are moving to neighborhoods with great access to center city, Fishtown, Graduate Hospital, Brewerytown, Point Breeze, etc. Then the lack of jobs leads to poverty and crime. While plenty of places are still affordable in Philadelphia they are increasingly either on the fringe or neighborhoods that still deal with incredible safety issues. Port Richmond where I'm from is getting more prices while K&A is affordable with good access to the city but there are shootings there weekly.

Are there really any examples of post industrial cities that have turned their economy around that has been equitable for everyone. The Eds and Meds have been great for the city but that really is only felt by thos with college degrees.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:46 AM

82 posts, read 69,010 times
Quote:

You better believe once I'm out of school (and Pittsburgh) I plan on coming back and doing what I can to make a difference in leadership in Philadelphia.

Also 2e1m5a brings up a very good point but I just did a little research and in Pa only inmates can not vote, unlike some states that people on parole, probation, and even ex-felons in general can not vote.

Its really interesting and sad that people of my generation, college age, have become so disengaged with politics. Instead of saying something is wrong lets make a change, many, not all, have felt that things are so messed up that its not even worth attempting to make a change.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
If only large numbers of young people had the financial independence and wealth necessary to run a campaign and win an election in our political system. The other problem is the average voting age is probably about 74-it doesn't cost money to vote, although many people-especially in younger generations- have had that right taken away due to our injustice system and "The New Jim Crow"-mass incarceration.

Young people who don't have the problem you state are not voting in the numbers they should either.

I'm personally sick of the Clintons. But exactly what
kind of wealth did Bill Clinton have when he ran for governor of AR and won at the age of 32?

The oldest Millennials are at least 35.

I've cited this multiple times. Ed Rendell was 33/34 when he was elected to be Philly's DA. He was in charge of an office with at least 200 ADAs in the country's 5th largest city.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimshady123 View Post
You better believe once I'm out of school (and Pittsburgh) I plan on coming back and doing what I can to make a difference in leadership in Philadelphia.

Also 2e1m5a brings up a very good point but I just did a little research and in Pa only inmates can not vote, unlike some states that people on parole, probation, and even ex-felons in general can not vote.

Its really interesting and sad that people of my generation, college age, have become so disengaged with politics. Instead of saying something is wrong lets make a change, many, not all, have felt that things are so messed up that its not even worth attempting to make a change.
Well, good!

Old 11-29-2017, 06:29 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:

You're absolutely right.

How many GenX & Millennials saw the PBS Vietnam War series? It showed plenty of footage of protests. Those were Boomers & the other, small, slightly older generation that's always been ignored, out there creating a ruckus. Those young people were mad & more than one 20-something ran for office in their towns around this country.

You can whine till the cows come home, but nothing changes until you take the bull by the horns. If you don't want to run for office find someone who does & help that person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia