Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2017, 06:27 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You're absolutely right.

How many GenX & Millennials saw the PBS Vietnam War series? It showed plenty of footage of protests. Those were Boomers & the other, small, slightly older generation that's always been ignored, out there creating a ruckus. Those young people were mad & more than one 20-something ran for office in their towns around this country.

You can whine till the cows come home, but nothing changes until you take the bull by the horns. If you don't want to run for office find someone who does & help that person.
That older generation was the misnamed, imo, Silent Generation. It was those born between the Greatest Generation and Boomers. Yeah, so silent since they pretty much invented and popularized rock 'n roll. Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 10:15 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
https://philly.curbed.com/2017/11/30...wer-the-harper

Does anyone know the reason for the shrinkage? I am a little tired of these mc-tower shoe boxes popping up everywhere. Why is it so hard to build tall slender towers in Philadelphia? SLS (which will probably never happen) would have by far been the most attractive modern residential tower in Philadelphia.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:29 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Does anyone know the reason for the shrinkage? I am a little tired of these mc-tower shoe boxes popping up everywhere. Why is it so hard to build tall slender towers in Philadelphia? SLS (which will probably never happen) would have by far been the most attractive modern residential tower in Philadelphia.
Definitely market economics. It is what it is. With so many apartments and condos planned for the building across the street, they had to be realistic. I think it looks good, especially if they get a solid small grocery store for the Sansom side. If you remember, it’s a Spanish restaurant opening on the chestnut street side owned by the NBA’s Gasol Brothers which is pretty cool imo.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:42 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:

This project saw fit to demolish the Boyd, when they could have saved it and incorporated it. So it was a missed opportunity to do something remarkably stupendous there.

Right now I don't give a single.... about it.

SLS? It's got the Baptist bum foodery next to it. Whether SLS still has lingering funding problems or not, Dranoff may be re-thinking the whole thing.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:43 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:

Tall towers are not meant to be in every neighborhood, even in Center City. A major part of the allure of Philadelphia for many, if not most, people is that it's not "Manhattanized" -- it has an appealing human-scaled sense of place. In this case, I think the downsizing was actually a good move, even if it was done for market reasons. The redesign looks very attractive and much more fitting for that area. This is a major upgrade for that corner of Chestnut.

I think it's great that Center City and environs continues to densify with infill and overbuilds, but a balance with Philly's traditionally low-rise environment is crucial to take into consideration.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:53 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Tall towers are not meant to be in every neighborhood, even in Center City. A major part of the allure of Philadelphia for many, if not most, people is that it's not "Manhattanized" -- it has an appealing human-scaled sense of place. In this case, I think the downsizing was actually a good move, even if it was done for market reasons. The redesign looks very attractive and much more fitting for that area. This is a major upgrade for that corner of Chestnut.

I think it's great that Center City and environs continues to densify with infill and overbuilds, but a balance with Philly's traditionally low-rise environment is crucial to take into consideration.
I agree fully. I'd also rather Philly's housing market not crash and burn. Reducing the units is a concerning sign of a coming market change, but I'm happy some developers are acknowledging it.

Old 12-01-2017, 04:35 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:

Slightly more detailed version of thedirtypirate's response:

It's because there are more new units coming on line at the top end of the market, even in Center City, than are being absorbed at present. Not just anything across Sansom Street from this, but other projects in various stages of planning.

I called this back in March:

Is Philly Facing a Post-Millennial Rental Crash? | Real Estate & Home | Philadelphia Magazine

Old 12-01-2017, 06:34 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
That older generation was the misnamed, imo, Silent Generation. It was those born between the Greatest Generation and Boomers. Yeah, so silent since they pretty much invented and popularized rock 'n roll. Lol.
They lead us in protests & demonstrations. Not so silent. . .

Old 12-01-2017, 08:53 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
They lead us in protests & demonstrations. Not so silent. . .
Wait, I thought the Greatest Generation was the generation born up through World War II. (Though maybe not, for it was that generation that fought in the war, which means they would have been born in the 1920s.)

But the protests span two generations. It would have been the Silents who launched the Civil Rights Movement (which should tip you and kyb01 off to something: it was only the blacks who were making noise then), but it was the Boomers who gave us Black Power along with the Vietnam protests.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:23 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Wait, I thought the Greatest Generation was the generation born up through World War II. (Though maybe not, for it was that generation that fought in the war, which means they would have been born in the 1920s.)

But the protests span two generations. It would have been the Silents who launched the Civil Rights Movement (which should tip you and kyb01 off to something: it was only the blacks who were making noise then), but it was the Boomers who gave us Black Power along with the Vietnam protests.
The "greatest generation" were originally called "the Depression Kids". Tom Brokaw renamed most of them, but not all. Some weren't old enough to fight. They were old enough to be formed by the Depression, though. Boomers started being born in 1945/46 at the end of WWII. There's a gap, & that was a small, low-birthrate generation that was truncated when the postwar birthrate exploded. They mostly had some memories of the end of the Depression & wartime rationing. That small, low birthrate generation was the first to be hit with the Vietnam draft, & they were involved with civil rights when the 1st boomers were still in high school. They were "the beat generation" & the teenagers in the 50s & early 60s. The older, small generation started the protests that exploded at the end of the 60s & early 70s, as boomers came of age to join them. They were the 1st hippies, etc.

We weren't the same, but had overlapping interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia