Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2019, 10:55 AM

23,811 posts, read 34,654,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
His wife is a heavy hitter in the luxury real estate market hereabouts. She's one of a bunch of top agents the upstart Compass brokerage has swiped from other area brokerages, chief among them the 900-pound gorilla, BHHS Fox & Roach.

Terry Gross won't be around forever, and my worry is that 'HYY isn't prepared for life after "Fresh Air." I've expressed this worry to some 'HYY staffers I know who agree with me.

I support WHYY in spite of, not because of, the guy running the station, who's wildly overpaid and knows it (he makes more than the head of NPR, fer Chrissakes. He also makes more than the person who runs WGBH in Boston, which produces something like half of the PBS national prime-time schedule). They have the best broadcast news operation in the region - KYW 1060's no slouch, but its format works against its reporters doing the sort of deep dives 'HYY reporters do - and a talented TV staff to boot, yet management seems incapable of grasping ways the TV station can increase its national profile to the level of what ought to be its peers (WGBH, WNET, WETA, WTTW, KCET - sheesh, WQED in Pittsburgh laps it too). The radio station, I'm afraid, is now just riding in Terry Gross' slipstream. Will it be able to find either a successor for her on "Fresh Air" or a successor program the way Washington's WAMU managed to follow "The Diane Rehm Show" (which never aired here) with "1A" (which does) after Rehm retired?
WHYY should, absolutely, be scouting for local talent for crafts and cooking shows. Paul Gluck was initially responsible for A Taste of History and Lydia Bastianich, which are still being made, but no longer at WHYY. OK, WHYY is licensed to Wilmington, but that's not an excuse. There are a lot of things that they could be doing that could, at the least, be marketed regionally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 09:37 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,747,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Why do you feel this way? You've lived in the city your whole life and your passion obviously runs high. From what I can tell from your posts you seem connected and rational. I would vote for you in a second and you'd probably have a good shot with a lot of voters bc you wouldn't be looked at as the "young hipster kid who doesn't know my Philadelphia." I wouldn't put so much stock into age.

Regarding voting, that is a miserable rate, but it's not just certain age groups or specific to our region. This is an ongoing trend across the country. My belief is that those generations have been so jaded by politics - really nothing has ever changed for anyone my age and below based on who takes office. I'm 40 and have voted my entire life in every election from local to primaries to the big ones. But I'll tell you, it's getting harder and harder to drag myself to the polls these days. I mean, the country voted the most polarizing individual ever into the most powerful position in the world and nothing has substantially changed for the average younger American. The generations now don't even count on social security or other government programs. We fully understand we are on our own in every respect moving forward and government officials only help to cause problems for us and erect roadblocks.

As for time management, it's a different world these days than when Pelosi got into politics (plus her father was mayor of a major city). We're on 24/7 these days. I found out about an issue at work last night and I just booked a flight to Chicago for tonight. I'm going to be working all weekend. Gone are 9-5 jobs and disconnecting. Also gone are the times of one working parent. Life it too expensive. It's a flat-out rat race for young families these days...

Anyway, the rant above is way off-topic (apologies), but I'm not sure you put yourself in the shoes of these younger individuals when you consistently berate them for not running for office in a completely broken system in a broken city government.
I composed a rather long answer but I deleted it because it was another off topic rant.

Wrt voting my grandparents. They couldn't vote sometimes because of Jim Crow or poll taxes while they were still residents of the south. Also remember...my grandmothers and their sisters couldn't vote until 1920. You can blow off voting in the near future. For someone like me that's nearly impossible.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:47 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,317,445 times
Pret A Manger is expanding into Center City.

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20190729.html

Old 07-29-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Pret A Manger is expanding into Center City.

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20190729.html
Very interesting because Constellation is Stephen Starr's catering wing which is located on N. Broad St.

So while I think this is a great move/location for Pret it also means a local company loses a footprint.

Old 08-09-2019, 07:15 AM

https://www.inquirer.com/business/am...-20190809.html

First non-stop PHL flight to Africa announced. Just need Asia now.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:34 AM

https://www.inquirer.com/news/old-ci...-20190813.html

Yay a nice looking new building. For those who do not have access, you can still see the picture.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:59 AM

14,144 posts, read 9,035,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Very interesting because Constellation is Stephen Starr's catering wing which is located on N. Broad St.

So while I think this is a great move/location for Pret it also means a local company loses a footprint.
A note, which I posted in a more elaborate version on the Così thread:

Constellation Culinary Group hasn't had a direct connection to Stephen Starr since Starr Catering sold itself to Charlotte-based Elior North America in 2015. (Elior runs its operating units as though they were standalone companies; Constellation remains headquartered here.)

Starr Catering changed its name last year to reflect this fact. The new name it chose, however, is intended to deliberately reference the Starr heritage.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:37 AM

377 posts, read 474,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
https://www.inquirer.com/news/old-ci...-20190813.html

Yay a nice looking new building. For those who do not have access, you can still see the picture.
Very nice.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:34 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,249,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Regarding voting, that is a miserable rate, but it's not just certain age groups or specific to our region. This is an ongoing trend across the country. My belief is that those generations have been so jaded by politics - really nothing has ever changed for anyone my age and below based on who takes office. I'm 40 and have voted my entire life in every election from local to primaries to the big ones. But I'll tell you, it's getting harder and harder to drag myself to the polls these days. I mean, the country voted the most polarizing individual ever into the most powerful position in the world and nothing has substantially changed for the average younger American.
Actually, quite a lot has changed for people your age. Had a few more turned out in a handful of states, you might not find yourself facing a judiciary which has the potential to strip away labor rights, so-called entitlement programs that may make a difference in your life if you ever face financial struggle, a woman’s right to choose, and perhaps even the rights of you lgbt friends and family to marry or even be protected from firing. Had a handful more of you voted in 2016, we would likely not have brown-skinned toddlers living in cages separated from their parents. Had a handful more of you voted in 2016, we would have more under-employed people with healthcare rather than having to choose between insulin or baby formula. Had a handful more of you voted in 2016, we’d have fewer laws stripping away the rights of people of color to vote in their local elections. Who knows - we might not have had 22 people in El Paso die by bloodshed this past weekend. Elections have real consequences. Many of these people suffering the consequences of the last election are under 40, like you.

Until people your age vote, 70 year old white men from rural areas with an animus for cities, minorities lgbt people and immigrants will determine the direction, policies and practices of this country. Not voting because one feels personally unimpacted by politics is a completely selfish act by privileged people.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Actually, quite a lot has changed for people your age. Had a few more turned out in a handful of states, you might not find yourself facing a judiciary which has the potential to strip away labor rights, so-called entitlement programs that may make a difference in your life if you ever face financial struggle, a woman’s right to choose, and perhaps even the rights of you lgbt friends and family to marry or even be protected from firing. Had a handful more of you voted in 2016, we would likely not have brown-skinned toddlers living in cages separated from their parents. Had a handful more of you voted in 2016, we would have more under-employed people with healthcare rather than having to choose between insulin or baby formula. Had a handful more of you voted in 2016, we’d have fewer laws stripping away the rights of people of color to vote in their local elections. Who knows - we might not have had 22 people in El Paso die by bloodshed this past weekend. Elections have real consequences. Many of these people suffering the consequences of the last election are under 40, like you.

Until people your age vote, 70 year old white men from rural areas with an animus for cities, minorities lgbt people and immigrants will determine the direction, policies and practices of this country. Not voting because one feels personally unimpacted by politics is a completely selfish act by privileged people.
Great post. Could not have said it better.

I really do not understand how people simply do not realize that MLK was killed, in part, because of his role in helping to make civil and voting rights legislation happen. And, right now, there are attempts to take those rights away. Once those rights are gone, we may never get them back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia