Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2011, 07:57 PM

3 posts, read 5,304 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have been looking for apartments online in the center city area. Ideally I would like to be in the Rittenhouse Square area and will be working near Vine St. and North Broad. So far the Drake seems to be a place in my price range( studio for 1100) that is in a vibrant center city area. The Chocolate Factory in Old City also looked like a possibility. Any suggestions regarding what parts of center city are affordable (around 1000 a month) and safe enough for a middle aged female would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 08:17 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Maybe also look at Wash Sq (blocks to Rittenhouse) The Drake is ok but in the direct Rittenhouse area and at 1K you will likely sacrifice nicer and amentities. I suggest either the broader Rittenhouse area or Wash Sq if that is the scene you desire. The Choc Works/Factory is ok but honestly Old City can be a little seedy these days on weekend nights especially and not as close to the area you prefer nor your job but is a quick subway ride.

There are also places like the the Lofts at Logan View but the area is a little quiet at night though close to where you will be working.

Might I suggest Broad to 23rd and JFK to Pine or Chestnut to South and Broad to 7th as a range of areas which will likely fit your demographic and wants better if Rittenhouse is your desired location and still within walking distance to your job.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:34 PM

Great suggestions, thanks so much.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:22 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,385 times
I agree with kidphilly on everything.

And as someone who lives in center city for less than 1000 - if you're not set on living in a big apartment building, I think the walkup apartments in row houses tend to have a better chance of being cheaper. Just make sure you view the apartment first.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:15 AM

32 posts, read 105,922 times
I lived at the Drake for many years. You aren't going to get top-notch amenities, but I had a very nice apartment for the money. As for location, it really can't be beat. You can literally walk to any other of Center City and adjoining neighborhoods within a brisk 15-25 minute walk.

You could probably get more space in a walk-up. However, when I first moved to the city, as a female, I wanted the security that a high-rise provided. It's also nice to have package delivery available at the front desk, etc. For me, the security was worth trading off a little in terms of space or amenities. Obviously, you won't be getting the high-end building right on Rittenhouse Square, but I was very happy there and only moved when I got married.

EDIT: I should point out, however, that most of Center City and adjoining neighborhoods are generally safe. In 15 years of living in CC, I've never been the subject of any crime. However, you should use general city street smarts. Having said that, in a new city that I was unfamiliar with, I wanted to be extra-cautious the first year, so chose the Drake.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:03 PM

Thank you for the info on the Drake because its still an apartment that I'm interested in looking at. BTW, did you have a problem with roaches?

Old 06-21-2011, 10:35 PM

32 posts, read 105,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyH View Post
Thank you for the info on the Drake because its still an apartment that I'm interested in looking at. BTW, did you have a problem with roaches?
One time in 5 years. They fumigated for me within a couple days, and I never had any further problems. And, I take most of the responsibility for that problem. I was traveling abroad for 4 weeks and accidentally left some opened food on the counter. I didn't have roaches before I left and did when I returned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia