Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 01:59 PM

20 posts, read 53,457 times

Advertisements

I really need help quick need to give landlord notice soon to start new school year on time for kiddos..... here's my situation....

I'm a single parent of 2 kids that are multi-racial (black,hispanic/causesean). We currently live in Latrobe, PA which is not diverse at ALL which is one of the reasons I am ready to move out of here. It is too far to get to Pittsburgh too! I work from home so I don't have to commute - just need internet!

My kids are very much into sports (soccer & baseball/softball) and we like to get involved in the community with sports, outings, fishing, parks, etc.

Right now we rent a 3B/1.5B, 2 car garage with extra family room for $800 (nothing included). Now I know I'm not going to touch that anywhere out there. LOL...My family lives in King of Prussia so we would like to get closer to them but I cannot afford KP.

I really would appreciate any help! We really want a place that is family oriented, lots of kids, lots of sports (esp soccer & baseball/softball), close commute to city/museums but not close enough to see building all around us. We have a wonderful view of the Appalachian mountains out here that I know we won’t have there but I don’t mind the farm view either!

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 02:38 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
It would almost be easier to say what (presumably) suburban towns wouldn't fit your preferences than those that would. Knowing where the regular commute would be to (if applicable) as well as an idea of your ideal housing budget would be helpful.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:40 PM

20 posts, read 53,457 times
Thanks Tone509 - I don't need to commute as I run my own home business. I would like to stay under $1150 a month. I know that's going to be tough but that's all I can budget out! Definetly not Norristown!

Old 06-25-2011, 08:11 PM

148 posts, read 411,781 times
Mt. Airy, Overbrook, or Overbrook Farms might be good places to look. I live in Overbrook. Overbrook Educational Center (68th St. & Lansdowne Ave) is a good school. It's K-8. I did a teaching practicum there and I know a couple of parents whose kids go there. Overbrook Educational Center is right near Morris Park and the Papa Playground. A lot of football and baseball teams use the Papa Playground. There is also St. Donato School (65th & Callowhill). St. Donato's is also close to a playfield.

I don't know much about the public school (Lamberton) which serves Overbrook Farms. However, the Catholic parish Our Lady of Lourdes has a parish school (63rd & Lancaster). I know someone who goes to church at Lourdes and she says there are some interracial couples. Overbrook Farms is a pretty integrated neighborhood. Wynnefield is another integrated neighborhood in West Philly. I don't know about the quality of the elementary schools though. One thing about Overbrook is that its K-6 schools feed into Beeber Middle School and Overbrook High School. Neither Beeber nor Overbrook have very good reputations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bissie711 View Post
I really need help quick need to give landlord notice soon to start new school year on time for kiddos..... here's my situation....

I'm a single parent of 2 kids that are multi-racial (black,hispanic/causesean). We currently live in Latrobe, PA which is not diverse at ALL which is one of the reasons I am ready to move out of here. It is too far to get to Pittsburgh too! I work from home so I don't have to commute - just need internet!

My kids are very much into sports (soccer & baseball/softball) and we like to get involved in the community with sports, outings, fishing, parks, etc.

Right now we rent a 3B/1.5B, 2 car garage with extra family room for $800 (nothing included). Now I know I'm not going to touch that anywhere out there. LOL...My family lives in King of Prussia so we would like to get closer to them but I cannot afford KP.

I really would appreciate any help! We really want a place that is family oriented, lots of kids, lots of sports (esp soccer & baseball/softball), close commute to city/museums but not close enough to see building all around us. We have a wonderful view of the Appalachian mountains out here that I know we won’t have there but I don’t mind the farm view either!

Thank you so much!

Old 06-30-2011, 02:14 PM

78 posts, read 163,874 times
If you are going to live in the city, West Mt. Airy might be the way to go. You'll see racial diversity in an upscale, family-friendly environment. However, to me, I'd stay out of the city since you have children who are school aged. Might as well send them to a good school, because in the city, the private ones are really the only reliable solid schooling around...and they don't come cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia