Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 09:07 PM

271 posts, read 331,993 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, I've read through many/most of all the threads concerning this topic, but most of them seemed a few years old and I wanted to see if there was anyone with different or more updated advice.

My fiance and I are moving to Bucks County area at the end of the month because it is the midpoint of where we each work. My wife will be working in Philadelphia (north philly) and I will be working in NYC (not an ideal living and commuting situation, but it is the best we can do at this point). She will be driving in to work each day (so proximity to 95 is key), and I'll be taking NJ Transit to Penn Station (so ability to get to Trenton or Hamilton train station is key).

Where is the best place to live in Bucks to make this commute for both of us? I have been looking at Yardley and Morrisville, and am considering looking in NJ near the train stations too (but I've never been to that area so have no idea what sucks, what is safe, etc.). How far away from the Trenton or Hamilton stations is it feasible to be without making it more than a 2HR each way commute to NYC and keep the drive to under an hour to Philly?

We're both late 20's, no kids, rent budget $1200-$1400 per month for 1BR or 2BR.

Any thoughts on places that will make the commute as painless as it can be and that would also be a good spot for a recently married couple? Should we just live in Philly and have me commute via Amtrak to NYC instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 06:42 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,484,439 times
yardley and newtown would be good. i assume you'll be going early enough in the morning where traffic really won't be a concern. the amtrak from trenton to NYC is about an hr so just add time to the trenton train station (and time to office from penn station) to that. if you take NJ transit, it will be significantly cheaper but significantly slower as well.

you could also look at areas like hamilton square and upper freehold and lawrenceville in NJ. since you're working in NY, you will have the priviledge of paying 7% NY state income tax regardles off which state you live in.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:37 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,236,874 times
might also want to consider Hamilton NJ. train station is right there straight to NYC. probably 45 mins to north philly by car.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:12 PM

271 posts, read 331,993 times
Thanks for the info. I know I'm going to get effed on taxes, but such is life.

I'm also looking at living near Bensalem and the Cornwell Heights Amtrak station and just taking that in to Manhattan each day (only 65 mins each way, cheaper to live in that area and don't have to drive into NJ to take NJ Transit). Although that Amtrak pass ain't cheap ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia