Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 08:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,283 times

Advertisements

Trying to figure out using their website how to get from Rittenhouse Square area of Philly to TEMPLE. I know I can buy a pass as a college student but can't seem to figure out the 'zones' and if the buses, trains and subways are all included in the pass I'll get from Temple. I'm trying to make this as simple as possible and figure I can take a number 12 bus (from Spruce St. and 22nd) to the Walnut Locust Station on the Broad St. Line (subway) and then take the subway to the Cecil B. Moore station and just walk into the Temple campus. Does this make sense? Is there a better way to get there without having to take 2 or 3 different buses or trains to get there. Thanks for any info or help anyone can give me. I'm obviously new to the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 08:59 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,534,629 times
i don't take public transportation - they're all savages

Old 07-15-2011, 09:13 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,587,544 times
The only problem with that is the 12 bus doesn't run as often as buses on Walnut Street - so I would walk to Walnut and get the 9, 21 or 42 to Broad and Walnut. Returning, just get those same buses on Chestnut Street.

Also, center city is very walkable - so you can also easily walk to Broad and Walnut.

Old 07-16-2011, 05:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,283 times
Thank you!

Old 07-16-2011, 05:53 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,778,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
The only problem with that is the 12 bus doesn't run as often as buses on Walnut Street - so I would walk to Walnut and get the 9, 21 or 42 to Broad and Walnut. Returning, just get those same buses on Chestnut Street.

Also, center city is very walkable - so you can also easily walk to Broad and Walnut.
From Spruce and 22 Walnut goes the wrong way. You would have to get to Chestnut to go east to Broad which is a hike. The 12 will take you back home on walnut and then south on 23rd to Spruce. Buses like the 12 (north on 22 and then east on Locust to Broad) run close to schedule so get a copy and just be at the stop when it is supposed to pass. The rest of your route is fine. To answer your 1st question all buses and subways within city limits are the same fare except Patco which is completely seperate. Regonal rail, although also Septa, has a different fare schedule.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:19 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,091 times
Like someone else said, zones apply to regional rail, which you don't need to take (although you could if you want - but doesn't really make sense). They also apply to buses that go outside of Philadelphia County - which you probably don't have to worry about. As far as I know, everything in the city is SEPTA, except the PATCO line operated by the port authority, and a bunch of NJ transit buses. For what it's worth - the fare payments are going to be simplified over the coming years probably, with the implementation of the smart card system.

I second taking one of the walnut street/chestnut street buses west if you want - between the 21 and the 42 you wont' have much wait time. You could also do a free transfer at City Hall from the Broad Street Line to a trolley (any trolley - so you'd have practically no wait time) and get off at 22nd and Market Street and walk south a couple blocks.

Depending on where your classes are at Temple, Cecil B. Moore and Susquehanna-Dauphin are the two stations that serve the campus.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:06 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,587,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
From Spruce and 22 Walnut goes the wrong way. You would have to get to Chestnut to go east to Broad which is a hike. The 12 will take you back home on walnut and then south on 23rd to Spruce. Buses like the 12 (north on 22 and then east on Locust to Broad) run close to schedule so get a copy and just be at the stop when it is supposed to pass. The rest of your route is fine. To answer your 1st question all buses and subways within city limits are the same fare except Patco which is completely seperate. Regonal rail, although also Septa, has a different fare schedule.
Of course, I was backwards and the OP needs to walk to Chestnut Street. But I don't agree about it being a hike. It's just a 4 blocks. I think a college student can manage that.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:47 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,651,760 times
Yeah, I'd say that 9 times out of 10 walking to Broad Street is going to be faster than waiting for a bus, then sitting on that bus through center city traffic. I wouldn't even spend transit fare for a short distance like that unless I was carrying something heavy.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:16 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,017,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Yeah, I'd say that 9 times out of 10 walking to Broad Street is going to be faster than waiting for a bus, then sitting on that bus through center city traffic. I wouldn't even spend transit fare for a short distance like that unless I was carrying something heavy.
agreed the walk from rittenhouse to the bsl station on walnut is less than 10 min... Just walk.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:55 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i don't take public transportation - they're all savages
So why'd you even bother to respond? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia