Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2011, 07:59 PM

52 posts, read 127,937 times

Advertisements

Hi all... I've lived in the Philly burbs since 2004 and recently I'm getting tired of living out here. It's safe, and boring, and I can't seem to meet any single, cool girls anywhere... out in public, or through craigslist. I live in East Norriton.

Recently I was talking with a good friend of mine who attends Drexel and also works where I do, and we threw the idea around of possibly moving to Philly sometime in December because his friend is looking to move into a new apartment when her lease is up and would prefer living with cool people (him and I, haha) instead of her mean roommate.

Both of us are serious musicians, and are good friends despite our age gap (him 20, me 35). We have considered south Philly and west Philly, but we want to be close to a train station if possible, or bus route.

We don't want to spend more than $1500 for a 3-br rowhome or whatever... I know that won't get us much but whatever... we're scoping things out, anyway.

We're just looking for detailed info about the neighborhoods... which ones to avoid... which ones may be worth renting in (relatively safe but still very affordable)... also wondering what the women out there think... do you all feel safe living just outside of Center City?

We have heard that anything west of Broad Street in south Philly is pretty much an area to avoid... and most of west Philly, but we've also heard that it really varies from block to block.

Do any of you venture out past dark to grab a bite (walking, biking, driving) or do you all keep to yourselves after the sun goes down?

Just wondering... and yes, I realize I sound ignorant... I grew up in the country, lived in the suburbs for most of my life... even though I'm an artsy musician-type, I'm not exactly a city person but I'm looking to give it a shot if it increases my chance of meeting cool girls, and getting something going, musically.

Thanks everyone!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 01:32 PM

159 posts, read 317,068 times
You're not going to find a 3 bedroom for that price in Center City - even in a lot of cheaper outlying neighborhoods that's pushing it. Howeverrr, I think that if you are willing to be flexible(you might have to add another person, or if you find a 2 bedroom with a finished basement, someone can sleep there) you'll be able to find a place for 500 a month per person. I'm paying significantly less than that right now and living in Center City North(aka, the Loft District). I'm a 19 year old female student who recently moved to Philly from suburbia, so hopefully I can answer some of your questions.

The Loft District and Spring Garden East of Broad Street(though not so far east that you're in the northern liberties) has some pretty low rents available. The area is 'up and coming', it's close to NoLibs/Fishtown, and Center City - the broad street line is a few blocks away, and generally you'll have free parking. The neighborhood is definitely a bit obscure, it's got a lot of students and hipsters - but it lacks the galleries, restaraunts, cafes of many more vibrant neighborhoods(though there are a few gems in the area =]). It's not a bad neighborhood, it's definitely got it's seediness. As a female, I've encountered nothing more than creepy guys leering and shouting bad pick up lines or going 'mmmGIRRRL'.

Between work, school, and the real world I'm always on the move, and end up commuting and walking or biking a lot at night. Nowadays I actually know where I'm going and have developed a little bit of street sense, and I don't have any problems. I did just have a bike stolen on one of the busiest corners in Center City Philly, however. I also suggest Fishtown(cooler neighborhood, but a little more 'up and coming' in terms of crime), University City, and South Philly - which I'm not quite as familiar with.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:14 AM

78 posts, read 163,892 times
You can get something around your price, and likely meet the cool hipster chicks you desire in Fishtown, especially near the Port Fishington/Port Richmond line. Check it out. Fishtown has a lot of artist-types, hipsters, and artists because they are still 'relatively' affordable...but it has a cool cafe/arts scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia