U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 05:08 AM

6 posts, read 10,271 times

Advertisements

I may possibly be moving to Downingtown in the next two months or so, depending on a job interview in two weeks. My son is 15, and I am wondering what there is for him to do within walking distance. Maybe like some basketball courts, or something to that effect. He is enrolled in cyber-school, so there would be a lot of free time available. It is also going to take a lot longer for him to meet friends because of the nature of his schooling.
I am also concerned about him deciding to "take a walk" to explore. From what I have read the area is pretty safe, but it is still fairly close to the city. He is not street-smart (although I sure he thinks he is). We do not live near any major city, so all he has known is small town. Any type of gang activity in the area? Would West Chester be a little better? Maybe a little more to do without me being scared to death that he is out walking around in strange town while I am at work?
Any and all information is greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 06:28 AM

13,006 posts, read 30,614,361 times
Close to what city?? Downingtown borough has less then 8,000 people - Downingtown, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The surrounding area is all houses. West Chester is more interesting and has 18,000 people West Chester, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and you are thinking maybe it's safer? Both places are great to live and people move to Downingtown for the family focus.

I found this link with information about homeschooling groups in Chester County - Homeschooling Networks - Support Groups, e-groups, Newsletters, Magazines, In SE PA and DE This link looks especially helpful: Chester County Homeschoolers

Library - CCLS.org :: Downingtown Library Downingtown has a cute little old library. During the civil war it was used as a stop on the underground railroad.

Boy Scouts - BSA Troop 2 - Downingtown, PA

Youth sports - Home | West Bradford Youth Athletics - This is in West Bradford, just outside of Downingtown.

West Chester does have a more vibrant downtown then Downingtown, but the reason for that is that it's the county seat so it has a lot of law offices and business that support that the college. I would be more concerned with a huge population of college students then I would the lack of things to do in Downingtown.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:57 AM

Thanks, sorry wasn't a little more specific. The job, if I got it would be in Downingtown. Maybe I am stressing too much, overthinking. I have read the Wiki's already. After I posted I did manage to find the link for the YMCA.
I didn't give too much thought to the college kids. That's why I posted, for some pointers, suggestions from local people, things that I would not think of because of not being from that area.
I've searched and searched, but just can't seem to be able to the right "hits", for example if I search for ..living in Downingtown, most of the results have to do with assisted living facilities. If I search for things to do in Downingtown, the results come back as a vacation search.
I guess maybe what I am trying to say is, if I am at work, and he decides to leave the apartment complex, and walks around, is there maybe a park or some basketball hoops around, maybe a stream or a lake to do a little fishing. Like I said maybe I am overthinking this. It's just that possibly moving to a strange town, with no friends I am just a little worried.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:16 AM

13,006 posts, read 30,614,361 times
Kerr park is a great little park right in town http://www.downingtown.org/Documents/ParksRec.html (broken link) There is a basketball league mentioned on the right side of that page. When we lived in that area I would go to the park with our kids. They have a fantastic fourth of July celebration every year.

One thing I have found out about internet searches is that it pays to be specific. Have you seen Downingtowns home page? http://www.downingtown.org/index.html We lived just outside of Downingtown for four years when our children were young and loved it. It's a typical small town.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:29 AM

TY. Somehow, in all the searches I missed the downingtown.org link. I have to leave for work soon but will check it out more thoroughly tonight.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:36 AM

1,208 posts, read 2,145,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2boyz2 View Post
I may possibly be moving to Downingtown in the next two months or so, depending on a job interview in two weeks. My son is 15, and I am wondering what there is for him to do within walking distance. Maybe like some basketball courts, or something to that effect. He is enrolled in cyber-school, so there would be a lot of free time available. It is also going to take a lot longer for him to meet friends because of the nature of his schooling.
I am also concerned about him deciding to "take a walk" to explore. From what I have read the area is pretty safe, but it is still fairly close to the city. He is not street-smart (although I sure he thinks he is). We do not live near any major city, so all he has known is small town. Any type of gang activity in the area? Would West Chester be a little better? Maybe a little more to do without me being scared to death that he is out walking around in strange town while I am at work?
Any and all information is greatly appreciated.

It's a stretch to even say that Downington is in the philadelphia metropolitan area - it is exurban, on the fringes of new development. It's probably closer to Lancaster than it is to Philadelphia.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:42 AM

10,106 posts, read 15,307,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
It's a stretch to even say that Downington is in the philadelphia metropolitan area - it is exurban, on the fringes of new development. It's probably closer to Lancaster than it is to Philadelphia.
not really a stretch. it's easily accessible by commuter rail and certainly travels east into the metro area than west into lancaster.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,365 times
Hello
If you are on facebook, here are a couple of links that may give you some more info....
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Do...A/300069383811
https://www.facebook.com/DowningtownDish

If you are referring to living in Downingtown borough - there is Kerr Park - it has tennis and basketball courts, there is the Struble trail where you can go fishing, walking, running....Downingtown also has a small library which is a part of the bigger Chester County Library which is fabulous! The train station is nearby - some places to eat...not a hopping downtown area - but does have the usual small businesses.

Another option would be Exton - living closer to the Exton station and Mall - Main Street at Exton....

The town has grown tremendously since I moved here 15 years ago...a lot of growth in the Lionville, Chester Springs area .....

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-26-2011 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: NO realtor advertising is allowed

Old 07-27-2011, 04:11 AM

Quote:
I know it is not right on top of Philly, but close enough that I was just wondering about any of the effects from that area filter through. No offense intended to Philadelphia at all. It is still pretty close considering the largest city close to me at the moment is either Harrisburg, which is 75 miles, or Williamsport which is roughly the same distance. I checked, and Downingtown is almost exactly the same distance from Philly and Lancaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belavora View Post
Hello
If you are on facebook, here are a couple of links that may give you some more info....
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Do...A/300069383811
https://www.facebook.com/DowningtownDish

If you are referring to living in Downingtown borough - there is Kerr Park - it has tennis and basketball courts, there is the Struble trail where you can go fishing, walking, running....Downingtown also has a small library which is a part of the bigger Chester County Library which is fabulous! The train station is nearby - some places to eat...not a hopping downtown area - but does have the usual small businesses.

Another option would be Exton - living closer to the Exton station and Mall - Main Street at Exton....

The town has grown tremendously since I moved here 15 years ago...a lot of growth in the Lionville, Chester Springs area .....
Thank you, I was referring to the borough, but may possible have to look around outside a little more, the apartments that show up on most the sites equal about 6, a few out of my price range, and some have horrible reviews so that limits my options, I am sure there are some that do not show up on a search but until I would get down there I have to go by what I am seeing on-line. i don't want to venture too far away though.

So far from what I have seen, for a small town there is a fair amount to do. The town I am in is roughly the same size, surrounded by a township so the area is itself is a little larger. But we do not have a movie theatre (closest is 25 miles) , or a train, or a place to go fishing in the immediate area. We have a skate park that is a joke, no town park either. So it seems that there is a little more to do there than there is here, and within walking distance.

Thanks for your responses, the links and info provided led to more links and info. Greatly appreciated.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:25 AM

12,380 posts, read 25,013,631 times
Quote:
Its in SEPA , its along the Main line its your typical Philly burb. Lancaster is 1.30hrs away , Philly without traffic is 45 mins away....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia