Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 06:34 PM

9 posts, read 36,434 times

Advertisements

Okay so I've been to Philadelphia five times with the last time being in June (all for buisness) and I've noticed it is not diverse. My observation was that Center City was mostly black with a visible black population with a few asians but no hispanics. I felt out of place being Hispanic which I never do where I live which is a suburb of NYC because at least NYC and the suburbs of NYC are diverse and NYC has a lot more Hispanics. Asians, and Blacks. West Philly is mostly black, Northeast is mostly white, North is mostly black, Center City is both, and the suburbs are all white (except for the ones in NJ). Why is Pennsylvania lily white while the states that border it such as New Jersey, New York, Delaware, and Maryland are all extremly diverse. Why is Philly so segregated and why are the Philadelphia suburbs in PA so white? How could you ever want to live in a segregated and horrible city that will always live in the shadows of cities nearby mostly NYC (greatest city in the world) but even DC and Trenton.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:56 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,649,418 times
Hyperbole much?
Philadelphia is not as diverse as the NY metro, therefore it is "not diverse at all"?

Old 08-06-2011, 07:00 PM

148 posts, read 411,591 times
Go up to 5th and Lehigh and you'll be in El Centro de Oro, or the heart of the Puerto Rican and North Philadelphia Latino/a community. There are a lot of Latino corner stores in West Philly, where I live. Philadelphia is quite segregated. There are some multiethnic neighborhoods like Overbrook Farms, Wynnefield, University City, Olney, and Mt. Airy. There are some parts of South Philly that are quite diverse also.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:08 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,225,174 times
According to the 2010 Census, Philadelphia is 12.5 percent Hispanic.

The USA is 16% Hispanic.

It's pretty close to normal.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:25 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmendez View Post
Okay so I've been to Philadelphia five times with the last time being in June (all for buisness) and I've noticed it is not diverse. My observation was that Center City was mostly black with a visible black population with a few asians but no hispanics. I felt out of place being Hispanic which I never do where I live which is a suburb of NYC because at least NYC and the suburbs of NYC are diverse and NYC has a lot more Hispanics. Asians, and Blacks. West Philly is mostly black, Northeast is mostly white, North is mostly black, Center City is both, and the suburbs are all white (except for the ones in NJ). Why is Pennsylvania lily white while the states that border it such as New Jersey, New York, Delaware, and Maryland are all extremly diverse. Why is Philly so segregated and why are the Philadelphia suburbs in PA so white? How could you ever want to live in a segregated and horrible city that will always live in the shadows of cities nearby mostly NYC (greatest city in the world) but even DC and Trenton.
North Philadelphia is mostly Hispanic, not Black.

In any case, Philadelphia is one of the more segregated cities (then again, all cities are segregated to an extent), but all races have a presence there.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:44 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,950,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Nope.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:41 AM

1,320 posts, read 2,697,617 times
I'm in Bucks County. It is diverse here. I see Asian Indians, Hispanics, Chinese, meet folks from all over Europe who have settled here, there are Gays, Blacks. It sounds from your post that you are upset that you didn't find more Hispanics. You say that you were in the city 5 times. Why not visit the city and the region more?

You say NYC is the greatest city in the world. Hmmm...I'll bet folks from other cities in the world would disagree. Well-traveled pals say the most exciting city on the planet is Hong Kong. I'm just sayin'....

Old 08-07-2011, 12:19 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post

In any case, Philadelphia is one of the more segregated cities (then again, all cities are segregated to an extent), but all races have a presence there.
the op said his impression was that cc was mostly black, yet it's actually mostly white. why would he have that impression? because there is mixing of black and white in center city. if I went to downtown brooklyn my impression might be that brooklyn is mostly black. is that true? maybe, maybe not. there is clearly a divide between there and brooklyn heights. I have no idea why hispanics have been so reluctant to put their stamp on center city but it's a lie to say there isn't mixing going on in places like olney, lawncrest, or oxford circle...or even south philly which has become decidedly more diverse.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:04 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
The City Of Brotherly Love is very selective and there are prevailing racial attitudes. The Pat's Steak's English only policy is racist and unconstitutional. They are only hurting themselves and alienating themselves by doing this. A friend suggested this practice would be unheard of in other cities and I agree.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:07 PM

134 posts, read 475,016 times
Its Joey Vento and Geno's who is doing that and not Pat's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia