Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 07:12 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,583,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Anyway, when you live in a place that's lucky enough to have them, you really should support local bakeries and restaurants, and keep your money in the city. Corporate chains are not only predictably mediocre, but they just funnel money out of Philly and to places like (in this case) suburban Missouri.
Exactly. Some people make it seem like not wanting to eat at chains is some sort of elitist snobbery, but the fact of the matter is independent businesses are far more likely to support and sustain (with real living wage jobs) local neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 08:18 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,483,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Exactly. Some people make it seem like not wanting to eat at chains is some sort of elitist snobbery, but the fact of the matter is independent businesses are far more likely to support and sustain (with real living wage jobs) local neighborhoods.
It has more to do with the fact that chains generally produce inferior quality food.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:33 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,885,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
It has more to do with the fact that chains generally produce inferior quality food.

Well both aspects are positives, plus generally better variety and to me and I like some of the personal touches. That being said I do go to some chains but prefer non chains. My daughter loves Applebees so for better or worse at times can enjoy that, especially the smile it brings. Chains are not inherantly bad but having access to non-chains to me a huge plus on many levels. FWIW Panera is by no means awful and relative to many other chains and does an ok job

Overall though I hope that the generitization of America is held off in some places; it helps a place retain a unique character.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:49 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well both aspects are positives, plus generally better variety and to me and I like some of the personal touches. That being said I do go to some chains but prefer non chains. My daughter loves Applebees so for better or worse at times can enjoy that, especially the smile it brings. Chains are not inherantly bad but having access to non-chains to me a huge plus on many levels. FWIW Panera is by no means awful and relative to many other chains and does an ok job

Overall though I hope that the generitization of America is held off in some places; it helps a place retain a unique character.
I can't believe panera is not getting the love-lol

Old 08-19-2011, 04:51 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,868,226 times
we like it.. Good soups and sandwiches and bagels thats for darn sure

Old 08-22-2011, 05:34 PM

148 posts, read 411,560 times
Philly is very working class. 25% of the people live at or below the poerty line. Why would you buy a sandwich at Panera when you can buy a cheaper, better tasting sandwich at the corner store? There are Cosi restaurants in Cosi, which are somewhat similar to Panera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
It's not really that good. Considering Philadelphia is a sandwich city, and you can get good sandwiches for cheap anywhere, as well as good bread, that's probably your answer (although somehow there are plenty of subways here...never been able to figure that out).

It's also a pretty suburban chain to begin with - the whole concept of places like that is to try to fill a void (that is, less neighborhood delis and cafes in the suburbs, particularly automobile suburbs)

But you're right, if they did come to the city, they'd probably be on JFK or Market West. They'd probably be open like 7-5, in accordance to the fact that most of their customers would be commuters.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:42 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,989,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsChelle View Post
Philly is very working class. 25% of the people live at or below the poerty line. Why would you buy a sandwich at Panera when you can buy a cheaper, better tasting sandwich at the corner store? There are Cosi restaurants in Cosi, which are somewhat similar to Panera.

Because I don;t live in the Ghetto and there is no corner store in my area.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:04 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyViaBoston View Post
By comparison, Cosi has 6 locations in Center City and another 2 in University City.

I would guess Cosi & Panera attract same type of customer. So, yes, I suppose the lack of Panera in Philly is strange!
Cosi's seems to like Urban Areas , theres 4 of them in Downtown Jersey City and 7 in Lower Manhattan , there starting to become like starbucks...

Old 08-23-2011, 07:24 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Pittsburgh has Panera Bread locations right in the city proper as well, but we don't (yet) have a Cosi.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:57 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,155,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Because I don;t live in the Ghetto and there is no corner store in my area.
Not all corner stores are in low-income/working-class areas. That said, I would be surprised if a business like Panera or Cosi would do well in those neighborhood. However, Starbucks may have a shot IMO. Not that I wouldn't support homegrown business of a similar niche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia