Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 03:46 PM

134 posts, read 475,126 times

Advertisements

From my understanding the term "The Badlands" is really just an alternate name for a general area (no actual boundary) where the drug trade in Kensington is the most prevalent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 08:22 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,897,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweendog024 View Post
i've never seen the documentary, do you know where i could get a copy or watch it online?
Just google American Arsenal Philadelphia.. I beleive it's for sale for about $24.00 or you can ask PBS or History Channell when will it air again.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:26 PM

219 posts, read 674,618 times
This map of today's census tracts might be helpful to this analysis:

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Kensington was once (early 1900s) used to refer to the entire triangle east of front, south of the regional rail/Amtrak tracks, and west of Frankford creek. Over time, the southwestern part of this triangle gained its own identity as Fishtown (today's census tracts 16, 158, and 143), and the southeastern parts as Port Richmond (census tracts 15008, 378, and 379). These neighborhood's economy, more dependent on shipping, refinery jobs, and construction/electrician union labor, never completely collapsed, and these neighborhoods have kept a stable middle-class white population up to this day (all these neighborhoods are at least 90% white).

The northern parts, the core definition of Kensington, still dependent on heavy manufacturing, suffered when these industries vanished, and much (but certainly not all) of the stable working-class white community vanished in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, to be replaced mostly by Puerto Ricans. These are today's census tracts 161, 178, 179, 382, 188, 192, 17701, and 17702 which range from 10%-65% white in 2010. With few jobs available, these neighborhoods are well-known for their drug trade and prostitution.

There has been a quite substantial gentrification affecting all these neighborhoods recently for their interesting housing stock, so all the neighborhoods, both stable and poor, have recently seen an influx of artists and creative-economy types, with the wave felt more strongly towards the west, closer to Center City, than to the east.

So there's your story, as good as I can tell it.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:50 AM

78 posts, read 163,874 times
I live in Port Richmond (below Aramingo, and before Allegheny) and I have to say that it's 99.8% Caucasian. It's mostly working-class union-types...with the new folks (new families, young professionals, gay couples, artsy-types) moving in. It's an interesting mix right now. Some of the older folks are suspicious that the young couples are coming...others are happy that at least their home values are going up. The gentrification is slower here than Fishtown, but it's pretty noticeable. You almost always hear construction noises around the neighborhood of people having work done on their homes on a nice day, and to me, that's a good thing.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:41 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,566,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennm59 View Post
I live in Port Richmond (below Aramingo, and before Allegheny) and I have to say that it's 99.8% Caucasian. It's mostly working-class union-types...with the new folks (new families, young professionals, gay couples, artsy-types) moving in. It's an interesting mix right now. Some of the older folks are suspicious that the young couples are coming...others are happy that at least their home values are going up. The gentrification is slower here than Fishtown, but it's pretty noticeable. You almost always hear construction noises around the neighborhood of people having work done on their homes on a nice day, and to me, that's a good thing.
That activity is moving through Kensington too. In the end its good for the neighborhood. You need new people to come in and help keep the neighborhood going. Letting things stand still leads to decline, so its nice to see the area remain dynamic.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:47 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,585,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
That activity is moving through Kensington too. In the end its good for the neighborhood. You need new people to come in and help keep the neighborhood going. Letting things stand still leads to decline, so its nice to see the area remain dynamic.
What areas of actual Kensington are seeing revitalization activity and also what areas have potential to see things improving ?

Old 11-21-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
What areas of actual Kensington are seeing revitalization activity and also what areas have potential to see things improving ?
I hesitate to say... you're not a land speculator are you?

Old 11-21-2011, 08:18 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,585,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
I hesitate to say... you're not a land speculator are you?
No I am not a land speculator -just someone who would like to see their native city's neighborhoods to be back on the upswing. I am now in Columbus Ohio since 1994( I had to leave Philly because of my job-not my choice ). In fact before I left I was living on the border of Fishtown and Kensington -East Norris St. between Sepviva and Tulip Sts. Since I left Philly I have seen how many stable neighborhoods deteriorate such as much of Kensington, Overbrook-west of 63rd, Grays Ferry , Snyder Ave around 21st St., most of Southwest Philly, parts of the lower Northeast ( Oxford Circle -Summerdale , Frankford etc.) and that was not a good thing. I would just like to know if I would ever move back to Philly what areas are or are becoming nice places to live and no, the suburbs and the upscale areas of Center City do not appeal to me ( My husband and I are burger and a beer-in-the-corner bar folk).

Old 11-22-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
No I am not a land speculator -just someone who would like to see their native city's neighborhoods to be back on the upswing. I am now in Columbus Ohio since 1994( I had to leave Philly because of my job-not my choice ). In fact before I left I was living on the border of Fishtown and Kensington -East Norris St. between Sepviva and Tulip Sts. Since I left Philly I have seen how many stable neighborhoods deteriorate such as much of Kensington, Overbrook-west of 63rd, Grays Ferry , Snyder Ave around 21st St., most of Southwest Philly, parts of the lower Northeast ( Oxford Circle -Summerdale , Frankford etc.) and that was not a good thing. I would just like to know if I would ever move back to Philly what areas are or are becoming nice places to live and no, the suburbs and the upscale areas of Center City do not appeal to me ( My husband and I are burger and a beer-in-the-corner bar folk).
Fishtown has remained nice. Basically, the area east of the El and south of the railroad tracks have done very well. It's the areas just west of the El that are now getting the attention. Around Girard Ave. you start to get into NoLibs. The block you mentioned in Fishtown is still stable, although its missing a few of the houses that we're there, it's definitely moving in the right direction. There are numerous new houses and rehabs going on in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia