Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 03:38 PM

134 posts, read 473,925 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
The history of Kensington (and all the river wards) is something I have been looking into for a good amount of time now. I have found a great deal of information about Kensington during the industrial revolution, the living conditions of the people in the area during that time. However I would love to read/hear some accounts from people who have had a more hands on experience with the neighborhood.

This could be from living their, driving through there, or just hear-say. But I would really like to hear how people's impressions and experiences with the neighborhood have changed over their life times. If possible i'd like to hear about the dramatic cultural and demographic change that occurred this this neighborhood (and others in Philadelphia) during the period from 1960-2000. What I mean by this is the change from a blue-collar, predominately white neighborhood into the neighborhood that is today blighted by drugs, unemployment, and derelict/abandoned properties.

I am aware that the loss of factory jobs took a huge toll on the previously stable, blue collar population of the neighborhood and within a couple decades the neighborhood was a very different place. I have read that during the 50's and 60's it was essentially the stereotypical working class american neighborhood replete with American flags, an abundance pride in your neighborhood and its various commercial establishments, as well as a relatively safe neighborhood to live (albeit un-arguably working class). Much of "ideal" I got from the book "Whitetown, USA" a look at working class neighborhoods in America during the 50's, 60's and early 70's, as well as other websites. I am 24 and have therefore clearly have no experience, personal or otherwise, with the neighborhood at all until very recently.

However I have been to the neighborhood and read the posts on here and agree that today this is beyond a doubt no longer the case. Today the neighborhood is one of the most drug-ridden, most dangerous neighborhoods in America. I find it fascinating that in a period of 40 years, and specifically in the 20 between 1970-1990, the neighborhood could deteriorate into what it has become today.

Any and all responses would be greatly appreciated as long as they are related to the general subject and aren't limited to "Kensington sucks, don't go there".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 06:49 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,887,093 times
That could be said about many of the neighborhoods in the city to a certain extent or another.
Have you seen the documentary called American Arsenal Philadelphia?

Old 08-25-2011, 09:13 PM

386 posts, read 1,011,991 times
I once became lost in Kensington while driving in a rainstorm. The experience can best be described as a frightening chapter from a Stephen King novel. It was near dusk. Hollowed eyed people with rotting teeth and needles hanging out of their arms wandered aimlessly in the streets. Luckily, I spotted a police car and sounded my horn. He had me follow him to 95 and escape the horror...

Last edited by Iamrita; 08-25-2011 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-26-2011, 01:23 PM

i've never seen the documentary, do you know where i could get a copy or watch it online?

Old 08-26-2011, 05:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,098,209 times
I have a question: I checked a map of the US Census, and the area south/east of Aramingo Avenue is like 89% White. Then, the areas between Frankford and Aramingo Avenue are like 50% White (one part's 55% White and the other part's 42% White).

So although it has declined, has it stayed the same demographically, in terms of being a predominantly White neighborhood?

Old 08-27-2011, 12:16 AM

Kensington includes much of the area on the other side of Kensington Av., although Fairhill is also on the other side of the el. The neighborhoods you are referring to I am pretty sure would be Port Richmond and Richmond.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweendog024 View Post
Kensington includes much of the area on the other side of Kensington Av., although Fairhill is also on the other side of the el. The neighborhoods you are referring to I am pretty sure would be Port Richmond and Richmond.
I thought Port Richmond was a bit further northeast.

I got the information from this map: Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com The two mostly-white tracts I was referring to were tracts 16 and 158. Which tracts would you say are included in Kensington? (Or what streets would be the boundaries of Kensington?)

Old 08-28-2011, 07:41 PM

Tract 16 is considered Fishtown and tract 158 is sometimes referred to as "portfishington" combining the names of all the neighborhoods that surround it (Port Richmond, Fishtown and Kensington). While in times past, and to a much smaller extent recently, these neighborhoods might be lumped together into the greater kensington area the tracts that I was specifically referring to were 17702, 17601, 17701, 192, 19501, 19052, 175, and 174 although some of these neighborhoods are alternately referred to as fairhill.

The major difference between the neighborhoods that you mentioned and the ones that I was referring to is that Fishtown and "portfishington" have experienced a wave of gentrification in the last decade while the other neighborhoods haven't. That and the fact that all the neighborhoods I mentioned are majority hispanic/african american.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:54 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,619,358 times
Quote:
Tract 16 is considered Fishtown and tract 158 is sometimes referred to as "portfishington" combining the names of all the neighborhoods that surround it (Port Richmond, Fishtown and Kensington). While in times past, and to a much smaller extent recently, these neighborhoods might be lumped together into the greater kensington area the tracts that I was specifically referring to were 17702, 17601, 17701, 192, 19501, 19052, 175, and 174 although some of these neighborhoods are alternately referred to as fairhill.

The major difference between the neighborhoods that you mentioned and the ones that I was referring to is that Fishtown and "portfishington" have experienced a wave of gentrification in the last decade while the other neighborhoods haven't. That and the fact that all the neighborhoods I mentioned are majority hispanic/african american.
True but they haven't been anything to brag about since 1950, so blaming those groups wouldn't really prove anything.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:

I've heard of a neighborhood called "The Badlands" (Wikipedia said cops called it the Badlands because of all the crime there)? Is that just a term for that general area, or is it a specific neighborhood. According to the city-data link, it is pretty much just tract 17601.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia