Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 08:10 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,161,695 times

Advertisements

Sounds like a good plan. Good luck with finding something in Doylestown or Newtown. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Things to see while you are here.

Center City Philadelphia
Chestnut HIll Philadlephia
Valley Forge National Park
King of Prussia Mall
New Hope
Brandywine Valley/Longwood Gardens(Kennet Square)
Lancaster( Amish Country)
Pocono Mountains
Cape May + Stone Harbor NJ(beaches- May -Sept))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 10:04 AM

640 posts, read 3,066,764 times
That's a pretty far commute to Newtown Square from Bucks County for sure. I used to work at the SAP facility when it was ARCO Chemical and made the drive from Horsham in Montgomery County. It was about a 40 minute commute so add on another 20 minutes from Doylestown and possibly longer from Newtown. Hopefully he won't have to make the drive every day? Communting get so old after awhile. Best of luck to you with your move!

Old 08-20-2007, 05:10 PM

14 posts, read 47,488 times
Many thanks for comments and advice - agree about commuting I am lucky as I run my own business and it is closeby, but commuting has become the norm too in Ireland. Currently my husband commutes 55 miles 2 or 3 days per week to Dublin to the office and works from his home office the remainder.

Many people have it much worse here...whole swathes of commuterland have developed around Dublin where the city has just bled into neighbouring counties for miles and miles causing huge traffic problems...no proper public transport...childcare a nightmare etc etc....a few years ago a politician here made a comment about Ireland's development being closer to Boston than Berlin and it has become a catchphrase in the debates about the freeway/mall/commuter lifestyle common in the US as opposed to the city centre/metro/apartment lifestyle of main the European cities.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:04 PM

4 posts, read 5,970 times
I am young single guy who lives in Newtown and I still wouldn't consider it "snoozeville". I can be in New Hope on the weekends in 15 minutes, Princeton in under 30, and if you wanted to go to Doylestown you could be there in about 20. Then, Newtown itself has a few good restaurants and a nice "Main Street" shopping area. It is near Tyler State Park, which is great for kids and pets. Lots of nice new and historic houses are spread out over the township and borough. It is a great alternative to a busy/crowded city life in Phila. BUT...I'm not at the family stage yet. I guess that changes things.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:22 AM

3 posts, read 3,200 times
Rainrock is right, I live in Newtown, and it is a beautiful place. I think Doylestown is a larger town, with much the same charm as newtown only bigger, but it is far from most everything in my opinion. New Hope is a smaller town, close to major arteries and really cool, close to princeton, but so far from Newtown Square. I Think I'm gonna have to agree with rainrock, stay close to the "Blue route" from there you can successfully commute to both places. Rainrock mentioned many towns that are part of "the Main line". Good sized towns one after the other, great shopping, entertainment, schools, public transportation etc. If you choose a town closer to King of Prussia (which was built around a gigantic mall) you will be a bit closer to the middle. You really have to consider this commute. Hatboro and telford are lovely, but it takes forever to get anywhere else from there. If you choose Newtown you are definately close to Princeton, but far from Newtown Square. I think Newtown is a pristine little town, but I can see why you may think it is a bit sleepy. We kinda like it that way. Plymouth Meeting is centrally located, but pretty commercial, not a town, I can't see a child peddaling a bike around it, same with K of P and Conshy. these are not town like, they look nothing Doylestown. You may really like the Mainline, but check out New Hope just because it's worth it. Good Luck.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:46 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,740,558 times
To repeat what others have said Newtown may be small but it is convenient to everything you need. Just down the road in Langhorn/Oxford Valley is one of the largest shopping areas in Southeast Pennsylvania.. The only difference between Newtown and a larger suburb closer to the city is that it isn't as congested and the traffic isn't as bad. I wouldn't want the commute to Newtown Square which is pretty far away but that is another issue.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:50 AM

22,379 posts, read 38,698,254 times
Having grown up in Bucks, these are two of my favorite towns. Newtown although smaller is really not that much smaller than D-town. D-town has a little more going on but is a tad more isolated, especially for the commutes, to Newtown Sq or Princeton - that being said, if you get better option in the borough/town of Newtown i think you would be pleased, and if you decide on D-Town I also think you could be equally pleased. Good luck in your search and welcome to PA/Bucks county, I think you find either town a great place to live!

Old 12-28-2010, 11:37 PM

692 posts, read 2,342,085 times
Guys this post was from 2007 - I am sure the OP found a place by now.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:36 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,222,241 times
or said screw it and stayed in ireland.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:15 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,740,558 times
So how does a thread this old get bumped to the top?
Did suzysteel just do a search and bring it back from the dead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia