Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 08:11 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,012 times

Advertisements

OK - we're still settling in after a week and like any city, we've found one quirk: liquor stores don't sell beer. Who knew? Can anyone recommend a place to pick up a 6 pack in Center City? While we're at it, what about a good wine store? We've located one at 19th and Chestnut. Any others you would recommend? Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 09:03 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,650,325 times
The Foodery, at 10th & Pine, is a fabulous beer store which deserves your patronage (they have a northern liberties location now, too).
Buying wine in Philly pretty much sucks because of the state control on liquor stores, but I go the Superstore on 12th in Chestnut and it's fine.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:40 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,225,583 times
Not a big drinker. But I moved from a state that sold beer in liquor stores, and honestly, I find it a lot easier in Philadelphia to buy beer.

Depending where in center city you live, you can find somewhere probably right down the block from you. A lot of convenience stores sell beer, and a lot of delis and restaurants sell beer. Not only 6 packs, but you can buy one bottle of beer, in varying sizes, which I find wonderful, not being much of a drinker. Natives make it into a much bigger deal than it actually is - where I lived before you could only buy beer in liquor stores. You could not take out from a restaurant, and only 3.2 beer was sold in convenience stores and grocery stores. So it's actually pretty awesome, IMO, to get a sandwich at a deli, and walk home with a bottle or 6 pack, and not have to make a special trip to some liquor store in some "sketchy" neighborhood to actually get a decent price, be hassled by alcoholics in the parking lots trying to get free alcohol, etc.....

Most places that sell beer will have posters on their windows advertising it. Pay attention, and you'll find a good spot. Down my way, Foodery and Food and Friends both have a big selection of beer...Latimer Deli too on 15th and Latimer. If you drink one of the big national brands, just look around for the best price at any small deli or anything. They're all over the place.

For wine, the superstore recommended above on 12th and chestnut is probably your best bet.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:28 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,012 times
Thanks for pointing out the wine store at 12th and Chestnut - we will definitely check that out. In the meantime, I just picked up a six pack at a deli at 13th & Walnut and got sticker shock. I will keep my eyes pealed for other delis and convenience stores.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:50 PM

434 posts, read 1,312,599 times
For six packs I whole heartedly agree with the suggestion of The Foodery at 10th & Pine Streets!

For cases check out the Springfield Beer Distributor at 600 Schuylkill Avenue (on the Center City side of the South St bridge).

Old 01-11-2011, 04:42 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,529,863 times
love the foodery, but i can easily drop $80 on 12 beers wtf?

Old 01-11-2011, 05:20 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,650,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
love the foodery, but i can easily drop $80 on 12 beers wtf?
you have fancy tastes!

Old 01-11-2011, 08:18 PM

203 posts, read 596,819 times
If you're a beer drinker you'll have to find your local beer and soda distributer. States that sell beer in drugstores and supermarkets might be convenient but there's no selection. That's why i hope PA doesn't change. You can get a great selection at a good distributer with lots of microbreweries you might have never even heard of. They sell beer and soda by the case or keg and don't sell much else out of their stores. They're not all the same so check out a few in your area for the best selections. The beer and soda distributer is also where you will not be overcharged. Forget about the delis and convenience stores.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:58 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,378,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead948 View Post
If you're a beer drinker you'll have to find your local beer and soda distributer. States that sell beer in drugstores and supermarkets might be convenient but there's no selection. That's why i hope PA doesn't change. You can get a great selection at a good distributer with lots of microbreweries you might have never even heard of.
But you have to buy 24 bottles of the same thing! Not great if you just want to try something once to see if you like it.

Supermarket selection here in VA isn't always terrible. All supermarkets carry the big craft brands (Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, Magic Hat, etc.) and a local selection or two (Flying Dog or Hook and Ladder for example). Not great but will do in a pinch.

The upscale supermarkets, on the other hand, always impress: Whole Foods here always has something I've never heard of and Wegmans has a huge selection. Then we've got wine/beer superstores like Total Wine where you can get pretty much any beer available in the state. And you can buy it in any size for a decent price: singles, six-packs, cases, you name it.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:16 PM

218 posts, read 840,135 times
Where can I find Pliny the Younger when it comes out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia