Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 08:30 PM

21 posts, read 48,003 times

Advertisements

I've heard that during the winter that the regional rail is completely unreliable due to 1) snow on the tracks and 2) the fact that they use overheard power lines. This means trains can be up to 30 minutes late sometimes.

Any opinions on how true this is?

At any point do the trains change over from electric power to diesel, or are they overhead all the way to a place like Doylestown? My own experience is that diesel engines are much more reliable during the colder months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 10:39 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,649,418 times
I think "Completely unreliable" is a massive overstatement.

It doesn't really snow very often in a typical winter anyway, but on the occasion that there is heavy snowfall, trains can definitely be delayed until the tracks are cleared, and the switches are thawed.
Although I imagine that after a heavy snowfall, a car trip from Doylestown might be substantially slower as well.

Leaves + rain in the early fall can cause train delays too, which was a more mysterious thing to me. But I guess what happens is that as the oil from the leaves makes the tracks slippery and the trains have to run at slower speeds.
This of course has no relation to overhead or electrical power, but rather to the fact that the trains run through wooded areas.

I don't believe that any SEPTA regional rail trains use diesel at any time, as they are typically self-powered and not locomotive-pulled. Although some of the Amtrak trains that share tracks with SEPTA do use diesel. Amtrak trains on the entire Northeast corridor typically use overhead electric or diesel powered locomotives. And all of the freight trains that run through the region, which occasionally share tracks with SEPTA, use diesel.

In any case, while it's been several years since I had to do it, but I relied on SEPTA regional rail for years, and while delays were not unusual, I would describe it as a fairly reliable system, on par with other commuter rail systems I've used.

Now if only they'd put ticket machines back in all of the stations... That's my biggest gripe with the system.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:49 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
The fact that the system is neglected means it tends to have issues in the winter and summer more. But Septa does have plans to slowly upgrade there wires and Rolling stock and add ticket machines. There almost done with the Keystone / Thorndale line , Next would be the Trenton line. Diesel trains have faults aswell , the can't take the extreme cold and Ice build up. Septa made there entire system all electric back in the 80s , which also mean't that some of the Diesel network was abandoned. But over the next 4 decades all of that will come back in phases and Electrified. The Current Septa system runs out Diesel service , due to the Center City tunnel which is where all the lines run.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:15 AM

434 posts, read 1,312,459 times
I've found the Media/Elwyn line (R3) to be very reliable. It's a route full of commuters to/from Center City. In a typical work week it's probably 3 to 7 minutes late a few times, but later than that is unusual.

There have been times when the line shuts down, but to my recollection that's only been a few times in the past five years and always from extreme weather (hurricanes, wicked thunderstorm that downed trees, etc.). Frozen tracks (due to very cold weather more than snow) do create delays, but it's not that bad. Certainly nothing that would cause me to deem the regional rail "completely unreliable."

Also - and this is a complete guess - I doubt they'll move from electric to diesel, partly because electric trains are so much quieter than diesel trains. The regional rail goes directly through the backyards of a lot of homes, and the trains are quiet enough for this to be a not-so-big problem, even in the fanciest of residential neighborhoods.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:39 AM

46 posts, read 284,106 times
The only times I have had any problems catching the train was when we would have a few inches of snow and the switches would freeze. This is maybe one or two days. In the summer with extreme heat I have heard of problems but I have never been delayed. I catch the Lansdale/Doylestown line. It is much easier and predictable than driving into the city. I would estimate out of a year I have been delayed (15 min or more) about 3 times. There are times where other lines are delayed but the Lansdale/Doylestown line was not you have to take that into account as well. People may be speaking of experience on the different lines, ie Airport or Trenton lines.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:48 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
Some lines are more reliable then others because of geography and weather conditions. Overall I would give it a 97.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Some lines are more reliable then others because of geography and weather conditions. Overall I would give it a 97.
Hmmm... I would definitely not consider it to be 97% as reliable/efficient as say, the LIRR. Especially not with all the dumb ticketing issues.
Maybe I'd give it an 81 (which is still a solid B).

Old 09-09-2011, 11:39 AM

21 posts, read 48,003 times
Thanks for the info. I brought up diesels because of my own experience riding Metro North in NYC. During the extremely cold temps, the electrics would freeze up but the diesels would keep chugging away. Also, I just wanted to get a feeling about whether SEPTA is on PAR with Metro North or LIRR, or if I will be slightly disappointed.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:13 PM

100 posts, read 328,711 times
I take the regional rail everyday from Paoli to 30th street station as I work at 30th and market street.

My train has been averaging a delay at least once a week. I've gone to the paoli stop several times to catch the train into town and they have been suspended all together.
I find it to be "semi" reliable.
Tho, sometimes the trains seem so old and obsolete at times. They dont even have electronic signs at the stations letting u know the train will be late or anything.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Phil View Post
Also, I just wanted to get a feeling about whether SEPTA is on PAR with Metro North or LIRR, or if I will be slightly disappointed.

You will be slightly disappointed. Especially as compared to the LIRR.
But it's better than nothing, and many people do use it daily for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia