U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 01:14 PM

12,823 posts, read 22,421,657 times

Advertisements

If you were an educated quasi senior, of the empty nester or DINK ilk, would you feel at home in Downingtown or would you be a fish out of water?

The things that steer me in this direction:
1) A SEPTA stop
2) A Keystone stop
3) On US-30
4) Quasi "rural" properties close to the station / center (we call them "ranchettes" here out West)
5) Wonderful 4 season climate but with that excellent touch of the Humid Subtropical climate (arguably the line between Humid Continental and Humid Subtropical cuts right through the area)
6) The "Mainline" vibe but lower key than some of the places closer in
7) Ever so close to PA "Deutchland!"
8) Great for getaways to the mountains, The North, etc
9) Perfect for visits to kin in NOVA
10) The Shore is doable from it

Am I on the right track here?

(BTW - the initial US home of my ancestors was PA, especially the Southern half of it, so maybe I've got some sort of migratory instinct going on here? ... ;=) )

Last edited by BayAreaHillbilly; 10-28-2011 at 02:38 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 01:44 PM

10,108 posts, read 15,501,892 times
yes, you're on track. its not a main line town, for better and for worse...but there are many things to recomend it. today it's probably most famous as the home of victory brewing

Old 10-28-2011, 03:08 PM

13,029 posts, read 30,970,718 times
Not sure about the PA Deutschland, unless you mean the Amish community mostly in Lancaster county, but I think you are right about everything else. We lived just South of Downingtown for four years several years ago. My SIL teaches in the school district but in Chester Springs, north of town. She started in the borough a few years ago and says that where she is now is much different. Instead of kids that were a little rough and rude around the edges, the kids in Chester Springs are lacking for nothing. Her problems now are over-scheduled children that are too busy to do their homework.

We lived in West Bradford township and re-visited last fall while doing a college visit in West Chester. I was surprised at how little it had changed. There are still some rural areas left but you do have to be careful of the school district boundaries. Living in Coatesville school district would not be good. We loved this place - Highland Orchards

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:57 PM

219 posts, read 623,907 times
Whatever you do, just please don't move into a new subdivision and thus encourage the further destruction of PA farmland. There has been WAY TOO MUCH land developed out around Malvern/Exton/Downingtown already, and I think the Mary St. houses seem like a respectable post-war construction of the type found from Yardley to Media, from Doylestown to Glassboro- certainly nothing to be scoffed at.

Although I can sympathize with the quality of life issues mentioned by some posters, I don't know why you assume that rowdy teenagers in a park is a Downingtown-specific occurance... about 60% of America's youth are like that on any given night, in any given part of the country. Now that I think about it, popular local band Dr. Dog- hardly the degenerates you portray as the typical crowd- sing about hangin' by the Brandywine:

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.n...2574490020D47D

Old 10-28-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennKid View Post
Whatever you do, just please don't move into a new subdivision and thus encourage the further destruction of PA farmland. There has been WAY TOO MUCH land developed out around Malvern/Exton/Downingtown already, and I think the Mary St. houses seem like a respectable post-war construction of the type found from Yardley to Media, from Doylestown to Glassboro- certainly nothing to be scoffed at.
Absolutely zero interest in cookie cutter new stuff.

A 3/2 or 2/2 with a bit of cleared land will be our humble abode, thankyouverymuch! I was browsing the usual sites and found several candidates.

It will just be the two of us, so even the places built 40 - 50 years ago with 1200 or 1300 SF are going to be fine, in fact, preferred.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:28 PM

10,108 posts, read 15,501,892 times
In pa sometimes tou find places that are 140 years old.
Dont think you need to worry about school districts

Old 10-28-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
In pa sometimes tou find places that are 140 years old.
Dont think you need to worry about school districts
We have a friend in a Victorian out here ... that is quite an adventure. Good thing there is sort of a cottage industry in providing custom replacements for those old gals. I'm guessing that part of PA has a few places to get the old hardware and finishing items.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:17 PM

Another question. Is Downingtown on a municipal sewer system or are there individual septic systems?

Old 10-28-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
We loved this place - Highland Orchards
Pies and apple cider donuts ... outstanding!

Old 10-28-2011, 08:39 PM

5,631 posts, read 8,803,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Another question. Is Downingtown on a municipal sewer system or are there individual septic systems?
Good question. I'm inclined to think that in the Borough of Downingtown, you'd find municipal sewer, as it is an older "urban center." This is opposed to the many surrounding newer subdivisions, which are likely to be served by septic/individual wells. Here is the the website for the Downingtown Municipal Water Authority: DMWA Home Page.

As for the other items you've mentioned, I think you're definitely on the right track. In particular, D-town's SEPTA station is poised for redevelopment, and is a great asset to be close to if you're one to frequent the city. Double plus for having Keystone Corridor stop, which gives you rail access to New York and Pittsburgh. I'd definitely say that D-town is on an upward trajectory. Being home to Victory Brewing Company alone makes it an awesome place.

Good luck!

Last edited by Duderino; 10-28-2011 at 08:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia