U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 10:43 PM

8 posts, read 19,656 times

Advertisements

I am looking at a few houses in Downingtown. I am requesting information on Mary Street in Downingtown Borough. I noticed the house prices are significantly less on this block. I understand they are row homes, but is there something which isn't mentioned? Low income? Drugs/Crime? Seedy area?

Any information would be great!

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 07:39 PM

33 posts, read 65,896 times
Bumping this up, because I would love to know if anyone has any insight (we're looking pretty closely at Downingtown.)

Old 09-13-2011, 06:36 AM

12,380 posts, read 25,107,893 times
Its a nice small Commuter Town , low crime , i don't know about the schools. Your close to the nearby Retail centers of Exton and KOP and close to Philly and Amish country. Coatesville is the only Main line town that has any seedy areas and does have some crime , but the rest of the areas around it such as Thorndale , Exton and Downingtown are perfectly fine. There is a paper mill next to the tracks and some days if the wind is right , the whole valley smells like paper pulp.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:37 AM

851 posts, read 1,197,342 times
That isn't exactly the best part of Downingtown, you may have an upbeat of crime around there. That being said, there isn't murders and violent crime much here, mainly property damage. The kids in Downingtown are a really bad breed - but maybe they are like that everywhere???

Old 09-13-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
The kids in Downingtown are a really bad breed
Yikes. Don't love reading that with small kids who would be going through Downingtown school district.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhfranklin View Post
Yikes. Don't love reading that with small kids who would be going through Downingtown school district.

Well, don't mean to scare you, but currently we are renting a single family home within a development just on the outskirts of town near Wallace Ave. We have had issues with kids in Downingtown, within our development and don't like what we see otherwise. There is a bad bunch of kids within the development who break into neighbors yards and houses whose houses are for sale to play (vacant). These same kids keyed my husbands car early in the summer, to the tune of over $1000 damage. The police, when filling out the report, didn't seem to care and said it was happening to a lot of people in Downingtown lately and just to keep our ears out for any rumors of who it may be. Mind you - they are kids between the ages of 8 - 12, NOT teenagers. They stay out till 10/11pm running around the neighborhood, biking, etc. and the parents seem not to care.

Let me tell you about the teenagers that hang around Downingtown Kerr Park area. In the summer, teens feel it is "OK" to walk around in just bikinis (girls) or just a pair of shorts no top (guys). A lot of them walk to the Brandwine Creek, where they hang out near the struble trail and drink/smoke during the day. I remember walking on the Struble Trail once, where I saw a bunch of people in there late teen's/early 20's smoking joints near the Brandwine, with little kids running all around them. In the summer, this area is mobed with people trying to swim the Brandywine because it is free, and brings in all kids of elements. In the summer, kids seem to hang out in Downtown Downingtown till 10/11pm at night, screaming, cursing, riding bikes in the road, etc. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't insist on riding bikes in the middle of the road, and giving you dirty looks if you try to actually drive on the road.

Another phenomenon I have noted in Downingtown area, especially Caln Twp is that there is a uptick of graffiti on public buildings since summer as well. Very ignorant kids in Downingtown, and yes some of that is a carry over with the fact some kids in Downingtown actually go to Coatesville Schools (be careful if you buy in Downingtown, its been rezoned and a lot of kids will now go to Coatesville Schools). But I suspect its the parents fault, as well as local law enforcement officials for not trying to curb the kids hanging out all hours. If there was an actual curfew in Downingtown, you wouldn't know it!

All I have to say is, Thank God I rent this single family home and dont own it! We are moving to Montgomery County in the next year or so, and hope to never live in a neighborhood like this again. Everyone said how nice Downingtown is with exception of one or two people, and I wish I listened to them now! I've lived in neighboring Exton in an apartment building prior to Downingtown, I had absolultely no issues with the kids there. You wouldn't think living a town over would make all the difference??

Old 09-14-2011, 10:49 AM

Thanks so much for this insight. I'm definitely going to take it into consideration.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:10 PM

13,886 posts, read 12,370,592 times
That's kind of discouraging to read; since it was a Downingtown teenager who was responsible for so many of the arson fires in Coatesville a couple years ago, you'd think it would all get taken seriously these days.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:30 PM

I'm curious, would you say the area of concern in more or less concentrated around the downtown area?

We're looking at properties closer to the Turnpike, and also in Chester Springs.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhfranklin View Post
I'm curious, would you say the area of concern in more or less concentrated around the downtown area?

We're looking at properties closer to the Turnpike, and also in Chester Springs.
I would not think Chester Springs is as bad - it is closer to Exton and the shopping areas. It has a different feel to it then Downingtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia