Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 09:46 PM

10 posts, read 22,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
same thing would happen to a white family if they moved into a predominately black area like.. Say.. Willingboro in the burbs.. This crap goes BOTH ways ..
I guess that "crap" makes it ok...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 09:59 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rstaylor92 View Post
I guess that "crap" makes it ok...
lol - of course you can say that if you lived in manhattan.

let me guess, you grew up in...

Old 10-21-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
lol - of course you can say that if you lived in manhattan.

let me guess, you grew up in...
Grew up where?.. I currently live in Manhattan, I grew up in Delaware County. .. and no matter what anyone on this post says there is no way to justify the things that happened there.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:21 AM

9,331 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Grew up where?.. I currently live in Manhattan, I grew up in Delaware County. .. and no matter what anyone on this post says there is no way to justify the things that happened there.
Discrimination is wrong no matter who the victims are (so you're both right ). That being said, I'm very curious as to where specifically you grew up. Was it Havertown by chance? No offense to any Havertowners, but I know it's very much a "white ethnic" kind of place. You can PM me if you'd prefer.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Discrimination is wrong no matter who the victims are (so you're both right ). That being said, I'm very curious as to where specifically you grew up. Was it Havertown by chance? No offense to any Havertowners, but I know it's very much a "white ethnic" kind of place. You can PM me if you'd prefer.
Oh I grew up in Brookhaven (which was actually a very nice town) but we bought a house that bordered Parkside and Brookhaven, most of the hate I have experienced has been in that specific area. It was fairly close to Havertown... but I never lived in Havertown. Delaware County is a very backwards place.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Oh I grew up in Brookhaven (which was actually a very nice town) but we bought a house that bordered Parkside and Brookhaven, most of the hate I have experienced has been in that specific area. It was fairly close to Havertown... but I never lived in Havertown. Delaware County is a very backwards place.
We have family friends in Brookhaven. It always seemed like a typical, solidly middle class suburb. While playing with the kids, their friends used to crack Jew jokes (knowing I was Jewish) so I could definitely see a black person having issues there.

Still, I don't think you can just generalize all of Delaware County as "backward." It's far from uniform.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:20 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,093,205 times
Quote:
We have family friends in Brookhaven. It always seemed like a typical, solidly middle class suburb. While playing with the kids, their friends used to crack Jew jokes (knowing I was Jewish) so I could definitely see a black person having issues there.

Still, I don't think you can just generalize all of Delaware County as "backward." It's far from uniform.
Agree with both comments. However, if the OP thinks that Irish kids don't make fun of and slander Italians, and vice versa, then they are kidding themselves. Also, if the OP thinks that there are no Italians in Brooklyn or Staten Island that harbor resentment and bad feelings against blacks, they are really kidding yourself. Just because you've moved to almighty NYC does not mean that you will no longer experience overt racism.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
Agree with both comments. However, if the OP thinks that Irish kids don't make fun of and slander Italians, and vice versa, then they are kidding themselves. Also, if the OP thinks that there are no Italians in Brooklyn or Staten Island that harbor resentment and bad feelings against blacks, they are really kidding yourself. Just because you've moved to almighty NYC does not mean that you will no longer experience overt racism.
Certainly, there used to be a lot of overt tension between white ethnics, but in this day and age, it's largely simmered down. This is due to a variety of factors, including suburbanization, intermarriage, mixed ethnic parishes, etc.

Racial issues in this country, however much we have advanced since the Civil Rights Movement, remain far more complicated. This is due to a whole host of reasons, but we can essentially boil them all down into one giant factor: most people, no matter their particular background, by and large prefer to stick among "their own."

I doubt Rstaylor is saying NYC is better in of itself (and if he is, he's just kidding himself). But he's probably living in a neighborhood that's more accepting than where he grew up.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Certainly, there used to be a lot of overt tension between white ethnics, but in this day and age, it's largely simmered down. This is due to a variety of factors, including suburbanization, intermarriage, mixed ethnic parishes, etc.

Racial issues in this country, however much we have advanced since the Civil Rights Movement, remain far more complicated. This is due to a whole host of reasons, but we can essentially boil them all down into one giant factor: most people, no matter their particular background, by and large prefer to stick among "their own."

I doubt Rstaylor is saying NYC is better in of itself (and if he is, he's just kidding himself). But he's probably living in a neighborhood that's more accepting than where he grew up.
I am a "she" lol, and you are correct, I do love living in NYC it's very different, it is better for me but that may not be the case for others, but I still know people who live in this area and they are great! I lived in Brooklyn right before moving to PA I feel like that would make a little biased you know? but like I said before it just kind of depends on what you prefer.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I am a "she" lol, and you are correct, I do love living in NYC it's very different, it is better for me but that may not be the case for others, but I still know people who live in this area and they are great! I lived in Brooklyn right before moving to PA I feel like that would make a little biased you know? but like I said before it just kind of depends on what you prefer.
Sorry for calling you by the wrong gender.

I would still say that community life in Delaware County is quite varied. Chadds Ford is much different from Radnor, which is much different from Havertown, which is much different from Upper Darby, which is much different from Chester...

And the list goes on and on.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 10-22-2011 at 01:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia