Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 07:14 PM

262 posts, read 789,926 times

Advertisements

Have similar question as above to all transplant families in Philly metro suburbs (esp MontCo):

Would you say that your social relationships are heavily skewed towards transplant families. Or would you say that your family's social relationships are more or less evenly split between transplant families and local families.
[If you are first generation in the USA, you could leave social relationships with others of your nationality out of the equation, to make the answer more meaningful.]

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 06:20 AM

548 posts, read 2,015,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athensvaasi View Post
maestro, At this time, would you say that your social relationships are heavily skewed towards transplant families. Or would you say that your family's social relationships are more or less evenly split between transplant families and local families.

I would like to know your current thoughts on this knowing that -- I think you live in Ambler that is a little more close in than the area I am considering. And the area I am considering has more Asian population (which I suppose means more transplants).

Thanks.
our friendships include both Philly area natives and "transplant" families. We've met people through the schools (both natives and transplant) and in the neighborhood (most people there seem to be from the 30-mile radius).

I think because the schools in much of Montgomery County are so good, that draws in a lot of people that move here from outside the area. Good school districts are a major draw for most people moving in.

I also think the further out you live, the most transplant-heavy it gets. Meaning, you would find more transplants in Amber-North Wales-Lansdale than you would in Cheltenham.

Again, overall everyone is very nice and this area is a great place to live and raise a family.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:49 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
This region has a reputation as being so local. I don't get it. It's certainly not as international as NYC or DC, but in my 3 jobs in 11 years since college I have worked with countless people from other parts of the country (NYC, Boston, California, Florida, Ohio, etc.) and other parts of the world (India, Korea, UK, Ukraine, Ghana - yes, Ghana).
Well said, and thanks for your anecdote. I personally think the diversity of the Philadelphia region is underrated, but my theory is that those not from the region may hear about the relative parochialism of the City of Philadelphia and apply that to the broader region. Obviously that is not the case as people from outside of the region are very common, particularly in newer suburban areas. Even in the city, that is changing as the "old guard" gives way to new residents and families from across the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia