Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 03:39 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,484,860 times

Advertisements

The extension of Rt 309 shown in that map is SORELY needed. i wonder if they own the ROWs for that project as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 03:40 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
On 76 to me extending 309 to 95 and the Betsy would help eleviate some 76 congestion, also it may help stimulate the North and North East Philly economies

95 can better handle additional volume and the East West connection there would pull some traffic away from 76. Also if the 23 bypass to 422 around Oaks were also built this could push more traffice away from 76 assuming the 309 connection was also built

Old 10-13-2011, 07:13 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,690,496 times
I like big highways and extensive infrastructure.
Has anyone drove through virginia?? Like DC area and surrounding areas.
It seems like they are doing huge upgrades around there.

I drive from florida up to philly twice a year and year after year I see big changes, expenaded new highways, new overpasses/underpasses, etc.

It seems like they are really keeping up with the growth and really have a vision for the future. Whereas Philly...I dunno, just seems like they just let the same bottlenecks occur for decades.

Is there any plan to ever upgrade 76? Or are they just gonna continue to let it jam up forever.

I like what they did on KOP a few years ago around 202/76, etc.
trafffic flows nice and smooth

Old 10-13-2011, 08:32 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,380,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
On 76 to me extending 309 to 95 and the Betsy would help eleviate some 76 congestion, also it may help stimulate the North and North East Philly economies

95 can better handle additional volume and the East West connection there would pull some traffic away from 76. Also if the 23 bypass to 422 around Oaks were also built this could push more traffice away from 76 assuming the 309 connection was also built
The 309 connection would be huge in taking traffic from the northern suburbs off of 76. However, it, like every proposed freeway on the posted map, was canceled and there are no plans to revive any of the projects.

For more info, see Fort Washington Expressway (PA 309) .

Old 10-13-2011, 09:33 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
The 309 connection would be huge in taking traffic from the northern suburbs off of 76. However, it, like every proposed freeway on the posted map, was canceled and there are no plans to revive any of the projects.

For more info, see Fort Washington Expressway (PA 309) .
Agreed that this is unlikely but think would benefit many areas. Also could be linked with a large TOD development at the terminus of the BSL and finally link the overpasses to nowhere at 95 and the betsy - one can dream...

Old 10-14-2011, 10:57 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,017,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
You know what the reason for it was? They couldn't get the funding, or so they said. Amazing isn't it? Somehow they always manage to find the funding for every highway to nowhere, every bridge to nowhere, every empty airport to nowhere, every empty train to nowhere, and any other pork barrel project you could possibly think of. Yet when it comes to a highway that was planned decades ago, for which they've already acquired the ROW, a badly needed highway that would actually alleviate people's commutes, they can't find the money? You know somewhere, someone's profiteering from this, it's the only explanation.

Anyway while we're on the subject I have to say out of all the major metropolitan areas, Philadelphia probably has the worst highway infrastructure. I mean what a disgrace. Here's what the highways were originally supposed to look like...
While I agree that the highway system in Philadelphia is very outdated and not suited for the volume it receives, I'm honestly quite happy that the majority of those so called "improvements" in the map above were not made.

A crosstown expressway and girard expressway may have made traffic flow easier through the city. But honestly I don't really care enough about that to have two great streets destroyed. Highways cutting through the city break up neighborhoods, are ugly, noisy, and make navigating the city harder for pedestrians.

Would you really prefer no south street? and instead an interstate cutting right through an amazing part of the city?

I'm all for alleviating traffic, but not at the cost of making my city a worse place to live in. The crosstown expressway was one of the worst conceived highway plans ever, I'm very happy it died and has no chance of revival.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:01 PM

513 posts, read 580,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
While I agree that the highway system in Philadelphia is very outdated and not suited for the volume it receives, I'm honestly quite happy that the majority of those so called "improvements" in the map above were not made.

A crosstown expressway and girard expressway may have made traffic flow easier through the city. But honestly I don't really care enough about that to have two great streets destroyed. Highways cutting through the city break up neighborhoods, are ugly, noisy, and make navigating the city harder for pedestrians.

Would you really prefer no south street? and instead an interstate cutting right through an amazing part of the city?

I'm all for alleviating traffic, but not at the cost of making my city a worse place to live in. The crosstown expressway was one of the worst conceived highway plans ever, I'm very happy it died and has no chance of revival.
I do agree that some of those roadways like that Cross Town Expressway and Girard Expressway are unnecessary and would adversely affect the city. However you have to admit that an extended 309 would help alleviate some of the congestion on the Schuylkill as well as Broad Street. The Ten Mile Loop would definitely alleviate commutes between the NE and NW. The Main Line Expressway would make commutes from Delaware County to CC/UC more bearable, and the Betsy Ross Bridge extension would make it easier to access the Betsy, thereby taking some of the strain off the Tacony and Benny.

Old 10-15-2011, 06:47 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Danm, travelingup and Down the NE has really changed in the last 15 years, first the Big dig in Boston (yes i know its I93), then the Iway in Providence, then this in Philly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia