Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2011, 01:49 PM

9,334 posts, read 13,004,813 times

Advertisements

Fourth generation Philadelphian. Father grew up in Bustleton/Cheltenham, mother grew up in Havertown. Raised primarily in Penn Valley, graduated from Harrition, went to Pitt undergrad, and now at Penn Law.

I find it just plain shocking the way some people on this site negatively stereotype and slander the area. The Main Line definitely isn't for everyone. There are many wonderful suburbs in the greater Philadelphia area, and I certainly don't think that a prospective mover would be doing themselves and their families a great disservice by living somewhere else.

But overall, I had a wonderful experience growing up here, and if I ultimately settle down in the Philadelphia area, it's where I hope to raise a family. Did I have an unusually good experience for a first generation Main Liner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 03:03 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,415,765 times
Why are you comparing an adult outsider with a child who grew up in the area?

You seem to mention 3 kinds of people - multigenerational old money main liners, the experiences of a 1st generation native main liner, and the adult heads of a family who move into an affluent community from outside.

My dad might have been Cuban, but my entire cellular formation and upbringing was in the United States. That makes me a native, and my father a foreign immigrant.

It sounds to me like you're the Main Liner, and your parents are the Philadelphians. You're comparing your experience (main liner) to that of a transplant.

A: Your experience (unless you moved there after age 12) is going to be that of a native.
B: Your parents' experience is that of a city person moving into a suburb (still quasi-native.)
C: Somebody moving to the main line (in the context of this forum,) is typically moving from outside the Philly area, like Texas, or NY, or Ohio.

The thing that really makes the differences is convo. If you can walk in somewhere and have commonalities from the past (High School, Elem. School, old company, Church, Sports, ) it pegs you as a native. Somebody from Philly, whose parent is from Havertown, same accent, sports, etc... is going to have those commonalities.

A southern person with a southern accent who doesn't know anything about the area is going to be pegged as an outsider, and is going to have a different experience.

Last edited by Joe84323; 10-16-2011 at 03:14 PM..

Old 10-16-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
Why are you comparing an adult outsider with a child who grew up in the area?

You seem to mention 3 kinds of people - multigenerational old money main liners, the experiences of a 1st generation native main liner, and the adult heads of a family who move into an affluent community from outside.

My dad might have been Cuban, but my entire cellular formation and upbringing was in the United States. That makes me a native, and my father a foreign immigrant.

It sounds to me like you're the Main Liner, and your parents are the Philadelphians. You're comparing your experience (main liner) to that of a transplant.

A: Your experience (unless you moved there after age 12) is going to be that of a native.
B: Your parents' experience is that of a city person moving into a suburb (still quasi-native.)
C: Somebody moving to the main line (in the context of this forum,) is typically moving from outside the Philly area, like Texas, or NY, or Ohio.
I think you're reading a little too far into my post (I wasn't trying to compare adult outsiders to those born and raised in the area).

A: I do not deny that. I'm simply saying that my parents' background and upbringing steered them into certain social circles as opposed to others. This will certainly influence one's childhood experiences.

B: Elkins Park and Havertown, however proximate to the Main Line, have a markedly different atmosphere, especially today. I'm not implying my parents were foreigners, but there was definitely some culture shock.

C: I'm aware of this as well. But it's the locals who are going to be giving advice to the newcomers. I was just wondering what such people's experiences were (although I'd certainly be interested to hear how complete outsiders to the Philadelphia region have fared).

Old 10-17-2011, 10:05 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,199 times
At the end of the day, it's just another area with a cool-sounding name that was once dominated by wealthy old-money families. Now, all types live in the area, the vast majority of which are not old money. However, people who want to live in a place that sounds prestigious tend to be attracted to it. It has pros and cons like anywhere else, but you tend to get more of that type than other areas. to some, that's a positive . . . to others, a negative. It's just a consideration for people moving into the area.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
At the end of the day, it's just another area with a cool-sounding name that was once dominated by wealthy old-money families. Now, all types live in the area, the vast majority of which are not old money. However, people who want to live in a place that sounds prestigious tend to be attracted to it. It has pros and cons like anywhere else, but you tend to get more of that type than other areas. to some, that's a positive . . . to others, a negative. It's just a consideration for people moving into the area.
You probably get more of that type than most other Philadelphia suburbs because the Main Line is wealthier than most other Philadelphia suburbs. When you compare apples to apples, the cultures are not that far apart. The only big difference I can think of is that acting "nouveau riche" is the exception as opposed to the rule (at least in Lower Merion; I imagine this would be more so in the newer Main Line communities further West).

Old 10-25-2011, 11:07 AM

241 posts, read 543,413 times
Remember that responses on internet forums tend to be a bit exaggerated! I think that is probably most of what you are reacting to.

I guess I am another "first generation Main Liner"; I also grew up there and agree with you that it has a lot to offer. Excellent schools, attractive houses and natural areas, walkable town centers. However, I also think that there is a grain of truth in many of the complaints as well. When I was growing up there were real issues in the town with prejudice (economic, racial and ethnic), snobbery, and a somewhat insular attitude of folks who had a comfortable life and didn't really care too much about the world outside their own neighborhood. From what I've seen in visits, most of these issues are improving, but the character of an area doesn't change overnight. Many of the posts I've seen here blow these issues out of proportion, but that doesn't mean that they don't exist.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:22 AM

889 posts, read 2,574,623 times
When I read that someone is shocked the rest of the world doesn't have as high regard for the Main Line as the person claiming to be shocked, ... that is somewhat typical and puts in perspective some of the mindsets and attitudes one will encounter.

I do agree with attractive houses and natural areas, walkable town centers. Don't know about schools, but I do know I would never want to raise children here.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
When I read that someone is shocked the rest of the world doesn't have as high regard for the Main Line as the person claiming to be shocked, ... that is somewhat typical and puts in perspective some of the mindsets and attitudes one will encounter.
How rude and inflammatory. I'm not shocked that many people prefer to live elsewhere, just at the bitter and nasty way some people characterize the region (and, consequently, the way some people have chosen to characterize me before getting the chance to know me... this was sometimes in issue in college).

Quote:
I do agree with attractive houses and natural areas, walkable town centers. Don't know about schools, but I do know I would never want to raise children here.
The schools are tops, but going to an "excellent" public school doesn't really offer a tangible advantage over going to a "great" public school besides bragging rights. With the right attitude and good parental influence, I believe that children can academically succeed at most of suburban Philadelphia's public schools. I don't think the course of my higher education would have been any different had I gone to, say, Haverford or Plymouth-Whitemarsh.

I grew up here, I turned out fine, and most of my friends turned out fine. Those among my peers that did not would not have magically been better off somewhere else. I won't pretend there's no kernel of truth to the Main Line stereotype, but it isn't nearly as widespread as some posters on here would suggest. I certainly respect people's preferences to live elsewhere, but you seem intent on starting a fight. I don't feel like giving you the satisfaction.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:08 PM

889 posts, read 2,574,623 times
> ...but you seem intent on starting a fight.
I'm expressing my opinion. Simply because someone holds an opinion different than yours does not mean they wish to start a fight. You ask for opinions here on an anonymous internet message message board, and when people don't agree with you or point out the errors of your ways, you get all in an uproar.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
> ...but you seem intent on starting a fight.
I'm expressing my opinion. Simply because someone holds an opinion different than yours does not mean they wish to start a fight.
Certainly, and I think it's pretty apparent that I'm not offended by your personal opinion of the Main Line.

Quote:
You ask for opinions here on an anonymous internet message message board, and when people don't agree with you or point out the errors of your ways, you get all in an uproar.
I am offended that you twisted my words into "There's no place in Philly better than the Main Line! Only an idiot wouldn't like it here," when I very clearly point out that I understand why the place leaves a bad taste in certain peoples' mouths. If that wasn't your intention, then you have some serious issues with basic reading comprehension. What I don't understand is some of these peoples' subsequent perceived need to indiscriminately trash the entire area and everyone who lives within it. Would you blanket-stereotype West Philadelphia as uniformly crime-ridden and filled with thuggish people? I sure wouldn't, that's why I question why some people find it acceptable to give the Main Line equivalent treatment.

As for "the errors of my ways," I have the sneaking suspicion you don't know me well enough to accurately point out my flaws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia