Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 08:26 PM

219 posts, read 674,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I missed this before, but I thought it would be worth addressing. I know most of the Jews in Overbrook Park (and their synagogues) have crossed City Avenue into Penn Wynne in the past 10-15 years. Have some of them moved into Overbrook Farms as well, or does this community you speak of hail from a different core (or no particular core at all)?
First of all, I wanted to congratulate you for knowing there is a difference between the Overbrooks (Park, Farms, and Proper). This is admirable, especially for an out-of-towner (tell me if I'm wrong).

So here's the scoop. Yes, most of the Jews in Overbrook Park, the garden rowhomes ('airlites') to the west of Morris Park, have left for Penn Wynne, starting around 1990. The community was largely secular/Reform/Conservative, the descendants of working-class Jews who once upon a time lived closer to 52nd Street. To give you an idea of just how secular, the community's most well-known product is Seth Green.

But to the east of Morris Park, there is Overbrook Farms, which is a upscale single-family-home neighborhood that was traditionally WASPy, and is considered to be the beginning of the Main Line; its Pennsylvania Classic Towns designation, awarded in the mid-2000s, has gone a long way towards maintaining that upscale reputation. However, it's still on the Philadelphia side of the border, meaning that prices here are lower than you can fetch on the other side of City Ave.

Now, you see, the Jewish community in Lower Merion has increasingly bifurcated, from a middle-of-the-road community into a heavily secularized vs. heavily Orthodox division, with the latter growing quickly due both due proselytization efforts, as well as natural growth. With large families that don't go to public schools, increasingly, some Orthodox decide to buy a first house on the cheaper Philadelphia side of City Line (thus not paying the Lower Merion SD premium). This is visible in the entire stretch of single family houses on the Philly side, including further east in Wynnefield. It's a similar situation as you find in some places in the NY Metro Area, where former liberal Jewish enclaves became heavily minority enclaves, and are now seeing a return of Jews of a much more Orthodox persuasion.

Sorry if this is too detailed, but I hope this clears up any confusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 11:26 PM

9,330 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennKid View Post
First of all, I wanted to congratulate you for knowing there is a difference between the Overbrooks (Park, Farms, and Proper). This is admirable, especially for an out-of-towner (tell me if I'm wrong).

So here's the scoop. Yes, most of the Jews in Overbrook Park, the garden rowhomes ('airlites') to the west of Morris Park, have left for Penn Wynne, starting around 1990. The community was largely secular/Reform/Conservative, the descendants of working-class Jews who once upon a time lived closer to 52nd Street. To give you an idea of just how secular, the community's most well-known product is Seth Green.

But to the east of Morris Park, there is Overbrook Farms, which is a upscale single-family-home neighborhood that was traditionally WASPy, and is considered to be the beginning of the Main Line; its Pennsylvania Classic Towns designation, awarded in the mid-2000s, has gone a long way towards maintaining that upscale reputation. However, it's still on the Philadelphia side of the border, meaning that prices here are lower than you can fetch on the other side of City Ave.

Now, you see, the Jewish community in Lower Merion has increasingly bifurcated, from a middle-of-the-road community into a heavily secularized vs. heavily Orthodox division, with the latter growing quickly due both due proselytization efforts, as well as natural growth. With large families that don't go to public schools, increasingly, some Orthodox decide to buy a first house on the cheaper Philadelphia side of City Line (thus not paying the Lower Merion SD premium). This is visible in the entire stretch of single family houses on the Philly side, including further east in Wynnefield. It's a similar situation as you find in some places in the NY Metro Area, where former liberal Jewish enclaves became heavily minority enclaves, and are now seeing a return of Jews of a much more Orthodox persuasion.

Sorry if this is too detailed, but I hope this clears up any confusion.
I'm not an out-of-towner (I'm born and raised in Lower Merion actually ). I just went to school in Pittsburgh. Thanks for the additional info though. That was very interesting/informative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia