Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 04:44 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
I say this as someone who hasn't ridden a bike in nearly 10 years. Most, if not all, cyclists are lawbreakers. That being said, Hobokenkitchen and his/her neighbors are clearly in the wrong for stopping in the bike lanes. No vitriol or hate, just a clear statement of fact.
Lol, I can accept that we're all in the wrong!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 05:46 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
There is nothing more hypocritical or ridiculous than a bike rider telling anyone they shouldn’t break the law. Let’s be real here. Bike riders break the law all over the place and I have never , ever seen an exception to the rule in spite of what they all claim.
There really isn't an easier way to look like a fool than to make a broad generalization on an entire group of people. Every time I bike I follow the law.

Chances are you don't even know the traffic laws for bike riders so how in the hell would you even know when they're breaking one?

Old 11-03-2011, 06:05 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
There really isn't an easier way to look like a fool than to make a broad generalization on an entire group of people. Every time I bike I follow the law.
I hope you won't be offended when I say I don't believe you. I agree about "broad generalizations" except when it comes to bike riders in Center City. I see dozens of bike riders every day and have never seen the one who obeys traffic laws..... not once. And calling your enemies childish insults doesn't help your cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Chances are you don't even know the traffic laws for bike riders so how in the hell would you even know when they're breaking one?
I know you aren't allowed to go down one way streets the wrong way, blow through red lights and stop signs or ride on the sidewalk.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:21 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,018,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I hope you won't be offended when I say I don't believe you. I agree about "broad generalizations" except when it comes to bike riders in Center City. I see dozens of bike riders every day and have never seen the one who obeys traffic laws..... not once. And calling your enemies childish insults doesn't help your cause.
Offended? No. Also if you think you are my enemy you're very confused. There is something very wrong with people who don't want people to bike in the city. The vitriol is insane. You are someone who frustrates me because you refuse to accept the facts that are presented right to your face, and continue to rail against bike lanes... because... hell if i know. That doesn't make you my enemy, it just makes you someone who I'd rather not deal with.

There is no "except" when in comes to broad generalizations. There are thousands of bike riders in this city. Many of which don't even bike in CC because it's too dangerous right now. There are plenty of cyclists who follow the law. If you want to paint us all with one broad stroke you look like a fool. Not hurling a childish insult. I'm telling you that you should never make broad generalizations because it's hard to maintain the respect of sensible people when you do so.

Besides it's not like I'm going to convince you that bike lanes are good. The disciples of Bykofsky are steadfastly resistant to reason and logic. I know that no matter how many statistics point out the benefit of bike lanes, you'll still be against them. Luckily for me and my cause, it takes more than a few people stuck in the past and holding onto confusing grudges to prevent progress.

More bike lanes are on the way. The whole parkway may be redone, lose a lane of traffic and be made more bike friendly. Not to mention both river trails are being expanded and enhanced to the point where they have the potential to be legitimate bike "expressways". The future for biking in this city is very bright indeed.

Look on the bright side though. With all the progress we're making there will be so many opportunities for you to complain!

Old 11-04-2011, 05:21 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times
Phillies, believe me when I tell you that you are not helping your cause with your responses. In fact you are feeding right into the stereotype of the rude, angry biker.

Ultimately what should be happening is that the bikers AND the drivers need to get off the road and onto public transportation.
More bike lanes adding to the misery of traffic congestion might seem 'cool', but it's not the answer.

A better, safer, cleaner public transportation system is, and if car lanes are being taken away for anything, it should be as bus lanes so that public transportation users can zip from one side of the city to the other. Not so that bikers can smugly hurl petty insults at anyone with a differing opinion.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:41 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
Phillies 2011 I could take everything you said about me and turn it around so that it applies to you but this discussion has run it's course I think so I am done with it.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:15 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post

A better, safer, cleaner public transportation system is, and if car lanes are being taken away for anything, it should be as bus lanes so that public transportation users can zip from one side of the city to the other. Not so that bikers can smugly hurl petty insults at anyone with a differing opinion.
Chestnut Street and Walnut Street right hand lanes are supposed to be for buses and cars making right hand turns only, I believe.

It doesn't work out like that at all, because car drivers don't get it/don't care and it's not enforced aside from the super obvious signs all over the place.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:42 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Bike lanes are a good thing when they are put in the right place but take the new bike lanes they are put on 10th Street N-->S through Chinatown.. Now that's obsurb (especially having the bike lane on the left side). I know few other cities has left lane bike lanes but it's going to cause lots of confusion.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:24 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Well they finally got rid of the bike lane on 10th street through Chinatown. What a waste of money! At least they acted quickly to undo a bad decision to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia