Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 11:53 PM

958 posts, read 1,198,011 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry if I started anything towards you, rotodome. I know you're a Philadelphian and I understand what you were saying in your posts. I've always felt that if somebody is from a certain area that they have every right to say whatever they want about that area, and I didn't have a problem with anything you said nor did I disagree with you.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:45 PM

8 posts, read 20,404 times
Thank you all for your replies. I sure didn't mean to start a debate. I know I need to give it more time, and explore other neighborhoods. Honestly, thank you all for your insight. It's been very helpful to this Philly newcomer. And thank you too for the good luck wishes.

Last edited by Urbanite11; 11-16-2011 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-16-2011, 07:29 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
1. Trash on the sidewalks and streets

2. Derelict and abandoned houses

3. Crime

4. Parking "Meter Maids"

Old 11-17-2011, 07:15 AM

802 posts, read 1,321,492 times
Crime

Taxes

Old 11-17-2011, 09:35 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,135 times
Crappy public school system that forces many good families to leave.

Tax/government structure that discourages business growth inside city limits forcing many to leave.

Not enough attention paid to seemingly small quality of life issues that, when added up, aren't so small after all - which wears good people down and they leave.

Terrible city government which seems to cater to that segment of society which adds the least overall value and doesn't carry its own weight forcing many productive people to leave.

Are you all noticing a theme here?

Old 11-17-2011, 10:45 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,709,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Crappy public school system that forces many good families to leave.

Tax/government structure that discourages business growth inside city limits forcing many to leave.

Not enough attention paid to seemingly small quality of life issues that, when added up, aren't so small after all - which wears good people down and they leave.

Terrible city government which seems to cater to that segment of society which adds the least overall value and doesn't carry its own weight forcing many productive people to leave.

Are you all noticing a theme here?
Yea...CITY GOVERNMENT SUCKS

Old 11-17-2011, 09:11 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
Yea...CITY GOVERNMENT SUCKS
No the poverty machine sucks. Any politician that says they want to help poor people, I take their talk as code to mean "vote for me and I'll give you free stuff". We have too much of that in Philadelphia, but thankfully its an unsustainable system that eventually has to fade out, or come crashing down. One or the other, but it won't go on forever because, as was said, that kind of activity adds nothing of value to a city and serves as a net drain. Nutter has bucked the trend and the city is starting to see some life, so here's to hoping things keep looking up, but its going to be a long hard process.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:32 AM

164 posts, read 433,042 times
1. Blight almost everywhere
2. Crime and Violence and murders everywhere
3. Litter and pollution everywhere
4. Graffitti everywhere
5. Low preforming and violent Schools
6. Terrible City Services
7. Rude People
8. The Philly Accent!
9. The Overweight People (fattest City in the USA!)
10. Racism
Most all these are not unique to Philly, (except the accent-ugh!) but Philly has an over-abundance of these. The public schools, the spreading urban blight are ghettos, are what many point to when asked why they (we) left that place.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:01 AM

27 posts, read 82,647 times
[quote=Jerseykids2011;21767219]

Actually, Philadelphia is the 15th fattest city in the USA. Not that that's something to brag about. Just trying to keep it honest.

Top 10 Fattest Cities are:

1) Corpus Christi, TX
2) Charleston, WV
3) El Paso, TX
4) Dallas, TX
5) Memphis, TN
6) Kansas City, MO
7) San Antonio, TX
8) Baltimore, MD
9) Houston, TX
10) Birmingham, AL

Seems to be a southern trend. But the BBQ is delicious so who can blame them.

Philly certainly has it's problems, largely created and propogated by poor leadership. All cities have problems though, some worse than others. Philly is a beautiful city with a rich history and many many vibrant neighborhoods. The general population is friendly and spirited. It's not for everyone, nowhere is. If you aren't satisfied with your particular hood, try another. If you don't enjoy your time in Philly altogether, simply go somewhere you like.

I've lived in many places and spent extended periods of time in many others. Most of them I loved, but I don't love anywhere as much as I love Philly.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:50 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykids2011 View Post
1. Blight almost everywhere
2. Crime and Violence and murders everywhere
3. Litter and pollution everywhere
4. Graffitti everywhere
5. Low preforming and violent Schools
6. Terrible City Services
7. Rude People
8. The Philly Accent!
10. Racism
Most all these are not unique to Philly, (except the accent-ugh!) but Philly has an over-abundance of these. The public schools, the spreading urban blight are ghettos, are what many point to when asked why they (we) left that place.
there's far more racism in jersey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia