Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 10:55 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,876,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
there's far more racism in jersey
lived in both. Nope.. Way more in the city where there is way more racial tension.. The racism in the city is mostly against the whites though.. Its even (but very little because generally everyone is working and doing well) No handouts in the burbs which makes the situation worse.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:04 AM

9,328 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
lived in both. Nope.. Way more in the city where there is way more racial tension.. The racism in the city is mostly against the whites though.. Its even (but very little because generally everyone is working and doing well) No handouts in the burbs which makes the situation worse.
NJ actually hate more hate groups than PA. Check it out (I was shocked too):

Hate Map | Southern Poverty Law Center

The only states with more hate groups than New Jersey are Florida, Texas, and California

Old 11-20-2011, 07:41 PM

25 posts, read 151,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
This is coming off as just a tad bit elitist. I figured this was a thread for people to have a good time talking about the things they dislike about the city or whatever part of the general area they live in (like john_starks did) but instead it comes across more as somebody looking down on the city.

Philadelphia isn't separated by physical boundaries the way NYC is. It's a continuous area that is separated by the Schuylkill in one part of it and where everything borders everything else, going as far out as to the suburbs in all directions. There are defined communities and neighborhoods that have existed for years and years and years. There are also areas that used to be very upper-class that were and still are to an extent inhabited by the poor and other groups that were not allowed to live there before. It's continuing to be in a state of transition and newcomers are coming in from all over due to the various draws the city now has. You grew up in a city full of 8 million people, one that greatly benefited from Philadelphia's stagnation and decline, where anybody can go and make a movie or do a million other things that years ago in Philadelphia would be looked at funny. This was, for years, a serious and hard-working city that was all about community. The things you take for granted living in a place like NYC didn't happen overnight and you can't expect them to happen overnight in Philly either. We don't have 50+ square miles to give to each separate part of the city the way NYC does with its five boroughs (minus Manhattan of course).

I don't know how anybody could see the city or its surrounding areas as not being diverse. If you had grown up here and gone to the schools, you would not be saying that. You would laugh at somebody who said that. Hell, I grew up and still live in Upper Darby township outside of the city and since high school I've been around and been friends with people of all races, creeds, political affiliations, etc.

You're free to have whatever opinion you like but the fact is you can't judge a city of over a million and a half people (probably closer to 2 if you include the surrounding urbanized suburbs) by one part of it.
right, Phila. pop: approx. 1.5 million. used to be 2 million. the metro area [city, suburbs and such] pop. is 5 million, way more than 2 million.
yeah, it's always been some kinda' messed up vibe between us [phila.] and nyc, how I seen it. yeah, stagnating.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:10 PM

25 posts, read 151,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykids2011 View Post
1. Blight almost everywhere
2. Crime and Violence and murders everywhere
3. Litter and pollution everywhere
4. Graffitti everywhere
5. Low preforming and violent Schools
6. Terrible City Services
7. Rude People
8. The Philly Accent!
9. The Overweight People (fattest City in the USA!)
10. Racism
Most all these are not unique to Philly, (except the accent-ugh!) but Philly has an over-abundance of these. The public schools, the spreading urban blight are ghettos, are what many point to when asked why they (we) left that place.
the accent?

Old 11-20-2011, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ O View Post
the accent?
Considering that half of her points are objectively incorrect, does it really surprise you that she hones in on something as trivial as an accent?

Old 11-21-2011, 12:06 AM

958 posts, read 1,197,574 times
Quote:
right, Phila. pop: approx. 1.5 million. used to be 2 million. the metro area [city, suburbs and such] pop. is 5 million, way more than 2 million.
yeah, it's always been some kinda' messed up vibe between us [phila.] and nyc, how I seen it. yeah, stagnating.
So I'm guessing that was an attempt at sarcasm on your part?

Do you have any idea how large the metro area is and how many typical suburbs are in between places in the metro area and Philly? Camden and Wilmington and other cities within the metro aren't exactly considered Philly either. They have their own thing going on.

I said "if you include the urbanized suburbs" meaning Upper Darby and the rest of the inner-ring, Montgomery County, the places directly surrounding Philly that are directly connected to it and have trolleys or even trains running to it. That probably comes out to around 2,000,000 give or take.

If you're seriously arguing that Philly and the surrounding areas didn't stagnate then I don't know what to say. I grew up in a place just a drive down Baltimore ave. from the city that's still plenty stagnated with good ol' fashioned PCP and heroin being dealt in homes that used to house families. Philly was the center of the country at one point and a center of the entire world. It is not what it used to be, so yes, it stagnated. It is starting to become what it once was again though.

I'm not sure why you're taking exception to what I said about the city stagnating at one point in its history.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:31 PM

80 posts, read 123,496 times
Philadelphia is so lucky to have the best downtown area in the country that's fun and vibrant. Philadelphia is the coolest city around that's affordable and growing slightly. The crime and some blighted neighborhoods are the negatives that I don't like. I'd still move to this city if opportunity presents itself.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:14 PM

164 posts, read 432,987 times
Quote:
the accent?
the Philadelphia accent: an example:

"Jews gweyez aint gawt nutin at da (Expletive deleted) Ak-a-me? "

English Translation:
"Jews Guyz" = "you guys"
"nutn"= "Nothing"
"Ak-a-me" = Acme
"It is often noticed by the out-of-town visitor that the "Philadelphia accent" becomes much more pronounced with the customary single tooth (i.e., not yet fallen out) or ill-fitting false teeth of many inner-city natives".

Old 11-22-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykids2011 View Post
the Philadelphia accent: an example:

"Jews gweyez aint gawt nutin at da (Expletive deleted) Ak-a-me? "

English Translation:
"Jews Guyz" = "you guys"
"nutn"= "Nothing"
"Ak-a-me" = Acme
"It is often noticed by the out-of-town visitor that the "Philadelphia accent" becomes much more pronounced with the customary single tooth (i.e., not yet fallen out) or ill-fitting false teeth of many inner-city natives".
And the North Jersey ("Joisey")/New York accents are just so beautiful by comparison.

If you were born in this generation and have something greater than a third grade education, you probably don't talk like that. With increased affluence, education, and suburbanization, accents that thick are becoming much less common in most American cities, Philadelphia being no exception to the rule.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:42 AM

164 posts, read 432,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
And the North Jersey ("Joisey")/New York accents are just so beautiful by comparison.
I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia