Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 01:38 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,865,040 times

Advertisements

Awesome news! One of the great issues Philly faces is its own self-image problem. Philadelphians (and the people of its suburbs) often rank the city lower in many categories (cleanliness, culture, nightlife, etc) than outsiders who visit it! This is ludicrous in my opinion. But I think the city is finally getting into its stride and flexing its muscles - it gained population for the first time in decades in the 2010 census.

Even the smallest details make a big difference in perception. Look at the recently renovated Race St Pier:

For years, this was just another symbol of Philadelphia's past glory and current decline. Look at it now, its beautiful! I was stunned when I noticed the completed project from the Ben Franklin one day.

Imagine Penn's Landing looking like this someday:

^^This is nothing short of amazing, compared to what Penn's Landing is now. But I think it'll happen sooner rather than later. This city's greatest days are yet to come.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 07:31 AM

958 posts, read 1,191,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Since moving here from Houston about year ago (a city and metro slightly larger than Philly), I am amazed at the quality of theatre here. Houston has a first rate Tony-winning equity theatre called the Alley. In my estimation, Philly has three such theaters of the same caliber - the Wilma, the Philadelphia Theatre Company and the Arden. This is in addition to the numerous small venues as well as university theatre offerings.

Yes, no city can compete with NYC in terms of culture. That point aside, when I consider the variety and quality of theatre, performing arts companies, museums, art galleries, lectures, botanical gardens, historical attractions and festivals (remember PIFA?), the findings of this survey make sense to me.
You shouldn't have been surprised.

I'm ashamed of the fact that I didn't know that the majority of cultural offerings in the US actually originated in Philadelphia. I'm guessing you didn't know that either. Unlike me, you get a pass though because you didn't grow up in the area.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:33 AM

soug, the thing I think is most important about what these projects are doing is that they're connecting the city in a way that makes it continuous.

That hasn't been the case for a long time. This, in my opinion, is what is most key to Philadelphia finally reaching its potential.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:57 AM

443 posts, read 598,518 times
Travel and Leisure. There is a magazine to take serious. All these city lists are so overdone and meaningless.

Philly has the number one amount of meatheads though.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:06 AM

Try harder.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:12 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,559,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKrab View Post
Travel and Leisure. There is a magazine to take serious. All these city lists are so overdone and meaningless.

Philly has the number one amount of meatheads though.
lol Kutztown, I grew up near there in Fleetwood

Is the college still #1 in the state for stds?

Although it really is a cute town. That whole area of Berks County is quite picturesque. Too far from everything though. I come up to visit the parents and in a week I like to come back to the city.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:10 AM

342 posts, read 909,764 times
I hear all the negativity and I know the deal!! Most of the people who bash Philly are suburbanites who probably would despise living in any city!! despite the negativity I travel to Philly often and absolutely love it! I loved it so much I'll be moving there in a few months!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub King View Post
What a difference a year makes! I'm sure the naysayers will pounce on this one, but Philly just got a boost from Travel & Leisure voters who named it the #1 place for cultural outings (not culture overall) in the whole darned USA.

It's been a great year for Philly's reputation, first with GAWK elevating us from gamma world city to Alpha- and now this.

Inquirer Editorial: EDITORIAL The same magazine that called Philadelphia grimy now says it's the top town for cultural outings. | Philadelphia Inquirer | 12/03/2011

It's time to erase the old stereotypes and check out Philly. The city is just getting started flexing its cultural muscles. Too bad people are still such slobs, I see kids tossing bottles into the gutter all the time, drives me crazy. On the flip side, this city really does have too few public garbage receptacles so the blame goes both ways.

Here's the official discalimer: "While acknowledging such surveys are unscientific, city culture czar Gary Steuer calls the new rating "a great barometer of the growing stature and recognition of the cultural scene in Philadelphia, which encompasses both arts and heritage."

Old 01-03-2012, 10:56 AM

We appreciate the love. I'm a big fan of Baltimore too, and it can't hurt that Joe Flacco and the Ravens are having a pretty damn good year huh

Your city deserves an NBA team though. Maybe you can take back the Bullets from DC.

Oh, and of course welcome to the area (when you get here)

Old 01-03-2012, 01:37 PM

342 posts, read 909,764 times
LOL THE BULLETS DON'T WANT EM, Well I Vowed that if I ever became a billionaire I would bring Basketball back to Bmore!!! yeah I definitely love Philly it reminds me a lot of Baltimore culturally!
I was hoping for an Eagles Ravens superbowl but maybe next year!! And I'll be there soon apartment hunting already!!

Old 01-03-2012, 04:10 PM

74 posts, read 107,142 times
Smile Loved that Poll

While I am definitely a Philly (for years would not use that term, but have come to accept and even love it to a degree because it is Philadelphia edgy) chauvinist, I too when I saw Philly as No. 1 in culture could only giggle at the thought that it is better than NY. One writer however made the piont that the accessibility of culture in Philly may be rated hight=er to a visitor than the massiveness of NYC.
Nevertheless, what I really enjoyed the most in the website version was the ability to compare the rankings of Philadelphia against the other cities in all of the categories. In almost evry case Philly beat out its supposed superiors. Now that was enjoyable.
So, while some things may be overstated, the goosd news is that alot of things in Philadelphia are improving and visitors are noticeing.
Now only if more of the natives would recognoze this their views could match those of the visitors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia