U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2011, 06:03 PM

5 posts, read 25,417 times

Advertisements

Mod note: This thread is 7 years old. Closed. Please start new thread for current info.

We are a family with 2 kids in grade school - we are in the IT field and are looking to relocate to western suburbs of philly from NJ side. Focus is good schools, nice neighborhood, reasonably priced nice homes (in 4-500k range) and good proportion of indian population as well as some indian shops etc. We have heard about lansdale as well as downingtown. Downingtown school district is obviously better than north penn, but not sure about other factors like indian population. Looking to get some information here about these 2 places or any other potential places( west chester??). Proximity to center city is also a concern. Lansdale seems closer compared to downingtown (by train at least). Also what particular townships would be best in both school districts - indians-wise and schools-wise. Cherry hill and voorhees are good, but most IT jobs are in western suburbs.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 03-21-2018 at 02:25 PM..
Rate this post positively

Old 12-06-2011, 07:16 PM

8,283 posts, read 11,512,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guptars View Post
We are a family with 2 kids in grade school - we are in the IT field and are looking to relocate to western suburbs of philly from NJ side. Focus is good schools, nice neighborhood, reasonably priced nice homes (in 4-500k range) and good proportion of indian population as well as some indian shops etc. We have heard about lansdale as well as downingtown. Downingtown school district is obviously better than north penn, but not sure about other factors like indian population. Looking to get some information here about these 2 places or any other potential places( west chester??). Proximity to center city is also a concern. Lansdale seems closer compared to downingtown (by train at least). Also what particular townships would be best in both school districts - indians-wise and schools-wise. Cherry hill and voorhees are good, but most IT jobs are in western suburbs.
Upper Merion has fairly easy access to both Center City and the far Western suburbs, along with a sizable Indian population. The schools aren't stellar, but they're certainly good enough.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:14 AM

1,246 posts, read 2,225,040 times
Downingtown is WAY out there - people i know who moved there wanted new construction and that is where there is open land. Lansdale/North Wales would be closer to center city - b/w 30 and 45 minutes by train depending on which station and which train. Within that area, my guess would be that Upper Gwynedd twp and Montgomery twp have the highest indian population, although i think you'll find plenty of indians anywhere in the area (a lot of pharma/sciences). I think your price range is right on target for a pretty nice 4 BR house. there is a relatively large indian grocery store on route 309 (Patel)

I also wouldn't say Downingtown SD is "obviously" better than North Penn. I don't know a whole lot about either district but they seem very similar in terms of rankings/reputation. In any event, i think both districts are very good albeit not "elite". Here is Philly Mags most recent district ranking - Downingtown is #19 and North Penn is #21 - not much of a difference.

http://www.phillymag.com/files/images/Full_ranking.pdf

Old 12-07-2011, 10:56 AM

584 posts, read 1,337,994 times
Have you considered Blue Bell?

Old 12-07-2011, 03:42 PM

school rankings I looked at a site called schooldigger which lists them as 21 and 58 resp. but yeah, 19 and 21 doesn't make much difference. downingtown i agree is at least 10 minutes outer by train. it does seem more picturesque and scenic though. the exton area in the downingtown east SD will be less out. basically trying to figure out better concentration of indians before taking the plunge.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:49 PM

219 posts, read 629,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Downingtown is WAY out there - people i know who moved there wanted new construction and that is where there is open land. Lansdale/North Wales would be closer to center city - b/w 30 and 45 minutes by train depending on which station and which train. Within that area, my guess would be that Upper Gwynedd twp and Montgomery twp have the highest indian population, although i think you'll find plenty of indians anywhere in the area (a lot of pharma/sciences). I think your price range is right on target for a pretty nice 4 BR house. there is a relatively large indian grocery store on route 309 (Patel)

I also wouldn't say Downingtown SD is "obviously" better than North Penn. I don't know a whole lot about either district but they seem very similar in terms of rankings/reputation. In any event, i think both districts are very good albeit not "elite". Here is Philly Mags most recent district ranking - Downingtown is #19 and North Penn is #21 - not much of a difference.

http://www.phillymag.com/files/images/Full_ranking.pdf
Is there really any more greenfield construction going on in Chester County? If so, that's appalling, considering the hundreds of thousands of homes in older, respectable suburbs that are lying empty because of the foreclosure crisis. I'm not saying that everyone should move to a brownfield redevelopment in North Philly. But between Downingtown and City Line Ave. there are 20 miles of relatively affordable, older suburbs. Why can't people just leave the last bits of the Delaware Valley's farmland alone?

Sorry for that little rant. To help out the OP, I would suggest looking into Havertown. Older, very classy suburb with good schools that, while devoid of a strong South Asian presence itself, is only about a mile and a half from the booming South Asian community in Upper Darby (Millbourne, an tiny independent borough of about 700 hemmed in by Upper Darby, is the only community in the US with a majority South Asian population).

Old 12-07-2011, 09:33 PM

5,313 posts, read 8,787,008 times
Consider Exton.... or anywhere along the 202 corridor... from west chester to exton through malvern and king of prussia.

Sizeable Indian populations throughout the area. Lots of "desis" and shops catering to that specific population as well.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:25 AM

yes, i had exton in mind. any idea how it compares to lansdale area like upper gwynedde/montgomeryville. bluebell was also mentioned which is a good sd i think - not sure about south asian population and housing though.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:35 AM

2,130 posts, read 4,670,980 times
Blue Bell is a good area, and I would argue that the Wissahickon School District (in which Blue Bell is a part of) is better than Downingtown/West Chester/etc, although those districts are of course not bad. There is more of a South Korean population in BB than an Indian population. You might want to consider the Upper Dublin School District as well, which has a decent Asian population and is an excellent school district.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:49 AM

958 posts, read 1,073,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennKid View Post
Is there really any more greenfield construction going on in Chester County? If so, that's appalling, considering the hundreds of thousands of homes in older, respectable suburbs that are lying empty because of the foreclosure crisis. I'm not saying that everyone should move to a brownfield redevelopment in North Philly. But between Downingtown and City Line Ave. there are 20 miles of relatively affordable, older suburbs. Why can't people just leave the last bits of the Delaware Valley's farmland alone?

Sorry for that little rant. To help out the OP, I would suggest looking into Havertown. Older, very classy suburb with good schools that, while devoid of a strong South Asian presence itself, is only about a mile and a half from the booming South Asian community in Upper Darby (Millbourne, an tiny independent borough of about 700 hemmed in by Upper Darby, is the only community in the US with a majority South Asian population).
Great suggestion. Upper Darby is like a United Nations. If it were nicer, I'd suggest it in a heartbeat, or Clifton Heights, Drexel Hill, Darby, etc. Unfortunately, that is not the case at the moment so one has to try to instead live near there if one wants to experience it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>