Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 01:20 PM

172 posts, read 389,320 times

Advertisements

You want to know a good bowling alley? How about AMF Conchester Lanes in Aston? The place could be cleaner and the service isn't great, but at least the lanes are made of fiberglass (or something like that) which is state of the art, and they have a bar. I have been to a dozen bowling alleys in my life and Sproul was the only one that didn't have a bar! Conchester has a NICE bar! Sits in its own little room, with its own entrance, with arcade games in it. Wynnewood is good too. One nice extra they have is a CD jukebox from the 80's. I found Erie Lanes in North Philly (where I was invited to a Christmas party last year) nicer than Sproul by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 02:38 PM

958 posts, read 1,196,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicoz View Post
My worries are based on personal experiences as well. The friend of mine I mentioned who is now deceased was a senior citizen. He lived a couple houses away from a teen who went to SHS. Now my friend put the "citizen" into "senior citizen" during retirement. He had to call the cops more than once when this kid had underage drinking parties, or was playing hookey from school. According to local parents, he told me the kid beat up another kid who worked at the firehouse with him. The "victim" in this scenario sounded like a loser too, don't get me wrong. First of all his parents were divorced, well whose aren't, but his dad was an unemployed alcoholic, and his mom took long walks around Chester at night for no reason. My friend had the misfortune of meeting this kid once, who he said smelled like a garbage can. And a girl at SHS who my old friend once met at a community event was a victim of beatings by heroin-addicted parents. She often went without food (yes I feel sympathy) because welfare ran out.

As for Morton, my friend told me it was always the butt of "ghetto" jokes by Springfield kids at the high school. One time my neighbor drove home to Springfield from Linvilla Orchards, and saw a group of about 10 thugs (for the record they were minorities) sitting in front of his neighbor's house with police questioning them. Apparently a few were from Morton, and a few were from West Philly. Also, the granddaughter of one of my friend's friends was a student at SHS not too long ago, and apparently a male from Morton at school (who was also a minority) showed her his condom collection in class. She was not amused. And he now lives in North Philly since he graduated.

Sylvia Seegrist was the woman who shot up Springfield Mall in 1985, and that was an oddity. But have you ever been to Granite Run Mall (not the theater) in the last five years? The place is almost all empty inside. And according to an online review, it has a "skeevy, trashy vibe that makes you feel like you might get mugged". Also, I heard Springfield has more than its fair share of teen pregnancies. The motels on Baltimore Pike are also known for their long-term welfare rents. And I have a friend who lives in Kennett Square and says Exton Square Mall is his closest mall. The place isn't that bad of a drive. And he said Coatesville types were making it a scary place. What do you think the closest cinema is to Kennett Square? 24 miles apart? Dixie Square Mall was 20 miles from Chicago city limits, and that was where all the trouble came from that ruined Harvey.
As I said before, I go to every part of the area quite often.

Both you, your friend, and any others are absolutely full of it and I will say that to their faces any day of the week.

You seriously have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. None.

Quote:
My friend's own grandkids had a Sabold Elementary phone directory, which listed the addresses and parents of every kid in the school. His grandkids asked him why "all the black kids lived in Morton". So my old friend gave them a real world talk and showed them the directory. They now observed that most kids listed under "Morton" had only a mother (often with a different last name) in the parents section. My friend was NOT a racist. In fact he led some civil rights events back in the day with other white Springfield people.
Your friend is a snob who does not have a clue about a real ghetto.

Quote:
You want to know a good bowling alley? How about AMF Conchester Lanes in Aston? The place could be cleaner and the service isn't great, but at least the lanes are made of fiberglass (or something like that) which is state of the art, and they have a bar. I have been to a dozen bowling alleys in my life and Sproul was the only one that didn't have a bar! Conchester has a NICE bar! Sits in its own little room, with its own entrance, with arcade games in it. Wynnewood is good too. One nice extra they have is a CD jukebox from the 80's. I found Erie Lanes in North Philly (where I was invited to a Christmas party last year) nicer than Sproul by the way.
Sproul Lanes is a SUBURBAN place, built for FAMILIES. Of course they don't have a bar.

And I'm quite fine going to Sproul and MacDade Bowl thanks.

Old 12-18-2011, 04:37 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
Quote:
Sylvia Seegrist was the woman who shot up Springfield Mall in 1985, and that was an oddity. But have you ever been to Granite Run Mall (not the theater) in the last five years? The place is almost all empty inside. And according to an online review, it has a "skeevy, trashy vibe that makes you feel like you might get mugged". Also, I heard Springfield has more than its fair share of teen pregnancies. The motels on Baltimore Pike are also known for their long-term welfare rents. And I have a friend who lives in Kennett Square and says Exton Square Mall is his closest mall. The place isn't that bad of a drive. And he said Coatesville types were making it a scary place. What do you think the closest cinema is to Kennett Square? 24 miles apart? Dixie Square Mall was 20 miles from Chicago city limits, and that was where all the trouble came from that ruined Harvey.
I go to Exton Mall all the time...I don't find it to be a scary place. Granite Run Mall is a different story. Although I really have no reason to go down there any more since they've expanded Exton Mall, I've heard that it's changed a LOT (referring to Granite Run) in the past 5-10 years...and not in a good way.

I would think that the Painters Crossing AMC would probably be the closest movie theatre to Kennett Square, but I doubt that kids from Coatesville would go all the way down there to see a movie. They'd probably go to the Regal on Route 30 near Downingtown.

Old 12-18-2011, 07:09 PM

Yes perhaps... actually that Regal is on Quarry Road. Or maybe the Regal in Lionville (part of Exton). There also is a United Artists (owned by Regal) on Route 30 in Malvern. I suspect that area unfortunately can be considered "Greater Coatesville" too because there is an "adult" business on that stretch of road. The Lincoln Court shopping center nearby is in bad shape too. They have a Giant (former Clemens), Rite Aid (former Eckerd), and Wine & Spirits that all look rather run down. There also is a really seedy-looking bowling alley. And I don't think that cinema exactly attracts Main Line people. They probably go to the historic Wayne theater which looks like a dump, but has an old fashioned charm.

Also, MOST BOWLING ALLEYS in the country have a bar! AMF is a chain and so are Brunswick, Lucky Strike, and Jillian's and ALL of their locations have bars! So does Wynnewood Lanes and so does Playhouse Lanes in Drexel Hill!

Old 12-18-2011, 07:44 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,419,003 times
Quote:
Yes perhaps... actually that Regal is on Quarry Road. Or maybe the Regal in Lionville (part of Exton). There also is a United Artists (owned by Regal) on Route 30 in Malvern. I suspect that area unfortunately can be considered "Greater Coatesville" too because there is an "adult" business on that stretch of road.
The Regal in Lionville no longer exists...it closed down several years ago. The United Artists theatre is a lot smaller compared to the Regal Downingtown (9 screens vs. 16). Pull out a map...it makes no sense for someone who lives in Coatesville to drive past the larger Regal theatre to get to the United Artists theatre in Frazer/Malvern.

And while you have your map out, please tell us exactly what stretch of Route 30 you're calling "Greater Coatesville". Surely you can't mean the area between the two theatres we're discussing above?

Old 12-18-2011, 07:45 PM

57 posts, read 122,138 times
What is the point of this thread...lol Is it about coatesville, bowling alleys, movie theaters, malls, or how ghetto you think Springfield is?

Old 12-18-2011, 08:00 PM

How long ago did it close? Over 10 years ago I heard they had a big problem with crime.

Actually the Downingtown shopping centers are in East Caln Township. Stores in the other Caln Township are popularly known as Coatesville!

Old 12-18-2011, 09:47 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mike 80 View Post
What is the point of this thread...lol Is it about coatesville, bowling alleys, movie theaters, malls, or how ghetto you think Springfield is?
LOL! Or is it about Morton, supermarkets, Value City, Lincoln Square shopping center, Exton, welfare motels or rodents?

Old 12-18-2011, 09:54 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
to be honest, springfield has seen it's hay day.....it's seen better days.
I grew up in springfield in the 80s. . Went to the Springfield country club pool every summer, until my family moved out in 1994, because it was going down hill..... we moved to chester county...

anyway, Springfield has seen an influx in poorer people from Darby, Clifton Heights, other lower-middle class areas. and let's face it.....Morton isn't exactly beverly hills...

It's not all bad, but its certainly not an up and coming neighborhood.
Have u considered Media? Thats a nice town with a good amount of retail...starbucks, strip malls, albein the granite run mall is a total hole.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:02 PM

As a general rule I really don't like downtown areas unless they have mostly chain businesses, and Media's State Street is a downtown which doesn't meet that criteria. But I do have a good friend who runs the shop called One or Two of A Kind across from Trader Joe's. I also have seen my share of bums, beggars, and hobos in Media at night. Bad teenagers too. There also is a really seedy motel on the edge of town, and fortunately the other one that was there was closed and demolished. I had a friend who had an apartment in Media too and that place smelled like mold. The neighborhood looked like the Third World too. Perhaps the trolley (which shares the street just like Baltimore Pike in the city) brings the trouble. Parking at Trader Joe's is already a pain in the ass, and the trolley makes it even worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia