Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 03:46 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
But the person is in NOVA, not MD.
I'm well aware, my friend. Simply adding detail to your prior remark so the OP knows exactly where (and where not) to look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 06:42 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,779,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I'm well aware, my friend. Simply adding detail to your prior remark so the OP knows exactly where (and where not) to look.
To put it in a Virginia context, The Main Line is like Mclean (although bigger, older, richer) and King of Prussia is like Tyson's Corners. IMO

Old 12-29-2011, 02:49 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
To put it in a Virginia context, The Main Line is like Mclean (although bigger, older, richer) and King of Prussia is like Tyson's Corners. IMO
That is a very informed opinion!

Although, upon scrolling back, the Bethesda/Chevy Chase MD comparison is good as well.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAIKGNG View Post
My husband and I are currently considering relocating to King of Prussia from Manassas, VA (suburb of DC). We would be interested in at least a 4 bedroom home in a great school district (we have 5 children, middle school & elementary). We would like to be within a 30 minute commute to KOP or even closer. What would we be looking at for a rental home cost/month or even purchasing? Any suggestions as to what town/area we should look into? Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Everyone here has given great suggestions on where to look as well as comparisons to NOVA/DC. You may have figured out that unlike Virginia, school districts are not separated by county but rather one (or often more) communities. Most suburban school districts are good to great; that would include essentially everywhere that has already been suggested. FWIW, I feel comparables to Manassas might be found in parts of inner-ring Delaware County (e.g. Upper Darby, Lansdowne, Clifton Heights) but I sense you are looking for something different.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:06 PM

997 posts, read 710,496 times
Default KOP is an excellent choice

I owned a post war large split level on 1/4 acre in a very quiet well kept neighborhood 5 mins from the KOP Mall. Moved in 2006 after 12 years. KOP is one of the few areas in the Phillly suburbs with quick access to all the major highways (476, 76, 202, 309, 422, and 95 South/airport to the north via the Blue route). You learn to go into the city when traffic is the lightest. There is also the Septa train option in Norristown that is 5-10 minutes away over the bridge. I loved being close to the Valley National Forge Park for walking and biking the trail that leads to PHL. There were no local payroll taxes either. The Upper Merion Township schools are among the best in the subruban area with well equipped schools. The Township had great snow removal services and kept the streets clean. The Upper Merion Library is also top notch. In the Philly area, KOP is a 10 out of 10 when you compare the location and amenities (shopping, restaurants, recreation, proximetry to major corporations). Taxes were low too. I miss it.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:02 PM

9 posts, read 14,794 times
Thank you all so very much for the help. Personally I would prefer to spend more and live in less of a house if it means a great school district. West Chester looked good as well as Tredyffrin-Easttown. The priority is the schools, for us. However I don't want you all to get into a opinion war on schools. My husband submitted a increased budget / cost of living for the move, it's up to the company if they want to pay it. If they do, you guys might have some new neighbors. So how high can we fly our Redskins flag? Again, thanks! It is truly appreciated!!!

Old 01-01-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAIKGNG View Post
Thank you all so very much for the help. Personally I would prefer to spend more and live in less of a house if it means a great school district. West Chester looked good as well as Tredyffrin-Easttown. The priority is the schools, for us. However I don't want you all to get into a opinion war on schools. My husband submitted a increased budget / cost of living for the move, it's up to the company if they want to pay it. If they do, you guys might have some new neighbors. So how high can we fly our Redskins flag? Again, thanks! It is truly appreciated!!!
Good luck! RE: the Skins' flag, you might get some minor ribbing out in the 'burbs. If you do decide to attend an actual game at the "Linc" and wear your jersey proudly, you might want to spring for lower-level seats.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:40 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
My husband was at today's game with our friend who is a Redskins fan. They both returned unscathed.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
My husband was at today's game with our friend who is a Redskins fan. They both returned unscathed.
They got "lucky". In reality, the reaction they could have received would have been in proportion to the amount of alcohol consumed around them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia