Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 03:30 PM

9 posts, read 14,742 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are currently considering relocating to King of Prussia from Manassas, VA (suburb of DC). We would be interested in at least a 4 bedroom home in a great school district (we have 5 children, middle school & elementary). We would like to be within a 30 minute commute to KOP or even closer. What would we be looking at for a rental home cost/month or even purchasing? Any suggestions as to what town/area we should look into? Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 07:11 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,736,928 times
Plug one of these zips into Find Real Estate, Homes for Sale & Houses for Rent on Realtor.com - Realtor.com® 19406, 19087, 19301, 19355, 19312, 19355, 19380, 19382 just to start. All good areas, good schools within 30 min to KOP. Website has a rent as well as a purchase option.

Old 12-25-2011, 12:28 PM

9,333 posts, read 9,189,560 times
If you dont mind spending a lot, anywhere on the mainline is great. Or the eagleville, collegeville area.

Old 12-25-2011, 02:08 PM

9,309 posts, read 12,898,873 times
How much do you want to spend?

Old 12-25-2011, 08:55 PM

889 posts, read 2,559,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
If you dont mind spending a lot, anywhere on the mainline is great. Or the Eagleville, Collegeville area.
To compare, I do not think the Main Line area is the equivalent of Manassas.

A few comparisons, KOP is the equivalent of Tysons Corner, VA. What is equivalent to the Main Line in NOVA is some combination of Arlington, McLean, Falls Church and Annandale. Manassas is sort of equivalent to Exton, or Lionville/Uwchland or Collegeville or Limerick.

So saying all that, there are a lot of possibilities based on your brief description. The above mentioned lcoations, and I'd add Royersford to the list. And also Plymouth Meeting, Lansdale and Skippack. I'm not commenting on SDs here, others can do that, and get into long drawn out comparisons on that topic...

One more thing, the further away from KOP you are, the worst the commute will be. But that is all relative, if you're used to NOVA traffic, a good day there is roughly a very bad day (i.e., the exception) here heading into KOP.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
To compare, I do not think the Main Line area is the equivalent of Manassas.

A few comparisons, KOP is the equivalent of Tysons Corner, VA. What is equivalent to the Main Line in NOVA is some combination of Arlington, McLean, Falls Church and Annandale. Manassas is sort of equivalent to Exton, or Lionville/Uwchland or Collegeville or Limerick.

So saying all that, there are a lot of possibilities based on your brief description. The above mentioned lcoations, and I'd add Royersford to the list. And also Plymouth Meeting, Lansdale and Skippack. I'm not commenting on SDs here, others can do that, and get into long drawn out comparisons on that topic...

One more thing, the further away from KOP you are, the worst the commute will be. But that is all relative, if you're used to NOVA traffic, a good day there is roughly a very bad day (i.e., the exception) here heading into KOP.

Thank you very much for your information. It seems like you are familiar with the NOVA area. We are located in Bristow/Gainesville, which is 5 minutes outside Manassas. We absolutely love the school district here as well as the neighborhood (fairly new and everyone if friendly and keeps up their home), very low crime rate and close proximity to shopping. We would be looking for something very similar.
Are homes prices on the decline with the rest of the country or are they holding steady (like in NOVA) ?
As far as how much to spend a month would have to depend on the cost of living differences. On average what would someone expect to pay for above mentioned amenities? ( I do realize that is kind a broad range for that question and I am looking for generalities, so no biggie)
Would there be anything else that I could mention or answer to help narrow down the search?
Again, thanks so much, we have no family or know anyone there so we are clueless. LOL.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
How much do you want to spend?
We think up to $2K/month.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:15 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OAIKGNG View Post
We think up to $2K/month.
Coming from NOVA I assumed you were a big spender. Your budget won't go far in the zips I gave you. However I did see a few in King of Prussia itself which is in the very fine Lower Merion school district. Did you see them? Find Real Estate, Homes for Sale & Houses for Rent on Realtor.com - Realtor.com® (zip 19406) (In the box that says "home type" choose "rental" leave everything else except the zip blank) Also the next exit west, Exton 19341 is less expensive. Another possible is Plymouth Whitemarsh Lafayette Hill area 19401, 19444 (but stay out of Norristown) There were also quite a few in desirable West Chester 19380 19382 around or slightly over your budget. (Are you working with a good map I hope?) You won't get anything new or with all the bells and whistles for 2,000 but then I guess you know that.

Last edited by bryson662001; 12-26-2011 at 06:24 PM..

Old 12-26-2011, 06:41 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,156,008 times
To get an idea what $2k can get you try weichertrents.com. Use $2K as the maximum rent Click Pa on the map. Delaware,Chester,Montgomery,Bucks Counties. If you interested in NJ try Gloucester,Burlington,Camden Counties.

Good luck. Below is an example.$1950 Chester Springs- very nice growing suburban/rural area. About 50 min-1 Hr W of the city. The further you go from the city the more house your money will buy.

good luck

http://csmedia.mris.com/platinum/get...OT=50038672093

Old 12-26-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Coming from NOVA I assumed you were a big spender. Your budget won't go far in the zips I gave you. However I did see a few in King of Prussia itself which is in the very fine Lower Merion school district. Did you see them? Find Real Estate, Homes for Sale & Houses for Rent on Realtor.com - Realtor.com® (zip 19406) (In the box that says "home type" choose "rental" leave everything else except the zip blank) Also the next exit west, Exton 19341 is less expensive. Another possible is Plymouth Whitemarsh Lafayette Hill area 19401, 19444 (but stay out of Norristown) There were also quite a few in desirable West Chester 19380 19382 around or slightly over your budget. (Are you working with a good map I hope?) You won't get anything new or with all the bells and whistles for 2,000 but then I guess you know that.

We were assuming that the cost of living is less. A house like what we are looking for would cost about $2400/ month. (example below)
8605 Placid Lake CT Bristow VA - Home for Rent - MLS #PW7694191 - Realtor.com®

What would that be in the KOP area, within a 30 minute drive? A great school district is a must, we have children in gifted and would be extremely bored in anything else.

Also the area code of 19401 came up as Norristown which you warned against?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia