Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 03:03 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times

Advertisements

I've enjoyed reading this discussion.

FWIW, I too see the comparisons between the Champs-Elysees and the Ben Franklin Parkway. Rather than more restaurants, however, I'd like to see "pop-up" cafes or food trucks that provide seating (or maybe the city installs the seats) to provide street-level activity. I've always been proud of the variety of museums to be found on this stretch but as picturesque as the Parkway is, for pedestrians/visitors it seems to be mostly a large chasm to be crossed to get to the museums, work etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 03:11 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post

FWIW, I too see the comparisons between the Champs-Elysees and the Ben Franklin Parkway. Rather than more restaurants, however, I'd like to see "pop-up" cafes or food trucks that provide seating (or maybe the city installs the seats) to provide street-level activity. I've always been proud of the variety of museums to be found on this stretch but as picturesque as the Parkway is, for pedestrians/visitors it seems to be mostly a large chasm to be crossed to get to the museums, work etc.
What is a "pop up" shop? I've Googled it and looked it up on Wikipedia, but I still can't picture what it would look like. Aren't they in permanent structures?

Old 12-29-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
This stretch of the Champs Elysee west of the place de La Concorde (Logan Circle) looks a lot like the parkway. It isn’t until you get even further west near the Arc de Triomphe that you will find that dense street wall.
You're right. The Champs is not a wall of buildings from one end to the other; it has a lot of greenspace. I think the Parkway could be developed in a similar fashion, which would allow us to preserve much of our greenspace.

champs elysees paris - Google Maps

benjamin franklin parkway - Google Maps

Old 12-30-2011, 06:17 AM

958 posts, read 1,198,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post

Exactly what I suggested, as well as extending the sidewalk on the grassy ends of the Parkway and making the two remaining lanes (one on each side) bicycle only. That way you can have the "pop-up" places lining both sides of the Parkway towards the Art Museum as well as a much safer way to walk the Parkway at the same time.

And to BajanYankee: "pop-up" means a non-permanent establishment that is able to be disassembled or moved.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:22 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
After reading Brian Hsu's two essays comparing the Parkway and the Champs-Élysees, I think he gets the issue exactly right, although he gets a few bits of historical trivia off (Fairmount Park predates the Parkway by about 75 years or so).

The problem isn't the Parkway, it's what's around it.

The neighborhoods surrounding the Parkway would have to be far more densely developed than they are now in order for the "park" section of the Parkway to have the feel of the similar stretch in Paris.

Philadelphia, put simply, is nowhere near as dense as Paris. The figures tell the story:

Philadelphia: ~1.5 million people in 135 square miles
Paris: ~2.2 million people in 40 square miles

Unless we allow much more density than I think most Americans would accept, our grand boulevard will ALWAYS feel "lacking" compared to Paris', and the sorts of activities it can support will not be as intense as those in Paris.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:56 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
After reading Brian Hsu's two essays comparing the Parkway and the Champs-Élysees, I think he gets the issue exactly right, although he gets a few bits of historical trivia off (Fairmount Park predates the Parkway by about 75 years or so).

The problem isn't the Parkway, it's what's around it.

The neighborhoods surrounding the Parkway would have to be far more densely developed than they are now in order for the "park" section of the Parkway to have the feel of the similar stretch in Paris.

Philadelphia, put simply, is nowhere near as dense as Paris. The figures tell the story:

Philadelphia: ~1.5 million people in 135 square miles
Paris: ~2.2 million people in 40 square miles

Unless we allow much more density than I think most Americans would accept, our grand boulevard will ALWAYS feel "lacking" compared to Paris', and the sorts of activities it can support will not be as intense as those in Paris.

Why the Parkway will never “live up to its potential” | Philadelphia Real Estate Blog

Old 08-08-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
It doesn't have to be as intense as Paris. It just needs to be better than it currently is. And to do that, you've got to start developing along the Parkway.

Paris wasn't built in a day. It has about a 1,500 year head start on Philadelphia. I think the area around the Parkway can be filled in within the century.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:05 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It doesn't have to be as intense as Paris. It just needs to be better than it currently is. And to do that, you've got to start developing along the Parkway.

Paris wasn't built in a day. It has about a 1,500 year head start on Philadelphia. I think the area around the Parkway can be filled in within the century.
We'll all be dead!!!!!!

Old 08-08-2012, 04:51 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
We'll all be dead!!!!!!
You never know.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:01 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
We'll all be dead!!!!!!
That's the way cities are built. Your generation busts their butt for the next generation. In 1,000 years somebody will have something they can fully enjoy. Then, not understanding the work that went into it, will destroy it within a couple more generations and the cycle repeats.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia