Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 06:38 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,876,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
Riddle me this Frank: if the stadiums were out in your part of Jersey, I guess you think the hooligans wouldn't bother attending games and then floodthe local food establishments? I'm sure it has everything to do with your "brick..." cops, because all Philly cops are total wussies, right? There are so many incidents of violence committed by sports fans in other cities that saying sports fans only become violent because they enter Philadelphia is absolutely insane. Try not to let your emotional Philly hate cloud your judgement here. I remember two years ago when New York Red Bulls supporters surrounded and threw rocks at the Sons of Ben's charter bus outside Red Bull Arena. They broke the windows on the bus before the driver took off, but imagine what would have happened had some fans got caught outside in that mob. That didn't even make the paper, and it happened in New Jersey by the way. Or what about the HUGE FREAKING RIOTS IN VANCOUVER AFTER THE STANLEY CUP FINAL??? Man do you really want me to have to go and research sports hooliganism, because I will if you want me to. This behavior has nothing to do with Philadelphia and everything to do with a hooligan culture among sports fans as well as excessive drinking before, during, and after games.

did you even READ my whole post? I said this stuff usually happen IN the city.. And I am right.. Last time I checked, Vancouver is a city. When we the last time you have any sort of issue in any of the quiet burbs? Never.. Oh, maybe on black friday at a Wal Mart.

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-07-2012 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: removed profanity from quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Laughing my ass off at the idea that cops in whatever podunk Nj town you live in, having tougher cops than Philadelphia. This doesn't happen where you live because there is never a time when 1000s of people come into your town for entertainment or to drink.
Get a clue.. If you think the cops in Philly are even remotely 'tough' you better get a look around. Half of em cannot even shoot a gun(I know one of the Philly range trainers and this came from him) and the 5' tall 270 lb women that they have on the force are just scarey!

Old 01-07-2012, 06:43 AM

thank you.. Think I'll will get a "hey you were right"?? LOL

Old 01-07-2012, 09:32 AM

958 posts, read 1,197,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
People from outside the Delaware Valley see the entire metro as "Philly". I don't think mr Corn Farmer in Iowa can really point out "Bustelton" any better than he can find Bangladesh. Same with New York. Long Island, Queens, NJ, it's all the "Big Apple" to folks...

Secondly, Philly people, both inside and outside the city, have always had a thuggish attitude to life in general. Tons of white kids out here in Bucks Co with backwards caps, shouting profanites out of their cars at walkers, trying to stare you down, talking about the beatdown they marginally won last night, the women with the attitude. Philly/NJ people are all about the aggro. Say what you will about NYC/CHI but I find if you start none there will be none. Most people go out and do their thing and are chill. Philly people need to be "hard" 24/7 and no one is truly safe if someone decides they have an issue. Someone minding their own buisness makes the mistake of coming off (weither true or not) as "Weak" or "Soft" is instantly a target.
That is just such a load of horse....

First of all, there are a TON of New Yorkers who are the complete opposite of how you claim they are. Don't even get me started on Chicago.

Secondly, you reference BUCKS as being representative of the ENTIRE metro? Asher Roth is from Bucks County. Do you really think that little ... represents the rest of the metro?

Allow me to educate you on MY part of the metro, where myself, the majority of my friends in my life, and plenty of family live and were raised.. We don't start things, we finish them. You don't jump somebody, bring a weapon, or do any other punk BS. You fight one on one if you have a problem with somebody, and when it's done, it's done. You stick up for people who can't defend themselves, and plenty of us do. You respect women who deserve to be respected, respect adults, work hard, don't make excuses, and you are a man, not the BS that is considered being a "man" these days.

So yeah, don't try to speak for all of us thanks.

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-07-2012 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: profanity

Old 01-07-2012, 12:19 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,566,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
did you even READ my whole post? I said this stuff usually happen IN the city.. And I am right.. Last time I checked, Vancouver is a city. When we the last time you have any sort of issue in any of the quiet burbs? Never.. Oh, maybe on black friday at a Wal Mart.
Your argument is based on the fact that somehow city cops are less tough than suburban cops which is totally ludicrous. Put a huge criminal element or lots of drunk sports fans in your suburb and then you can talk. I am saying that this hooliganism at sporting events is not restricted to Philadelphia, but is rather common in sports culture which is unfortunate. Crime in general has more involved than the "toughness" of our respective police forces. It also transcends political boundaries. There are suburban communities with rising crime. I'd even say the lower NE was one such place. It has to do with the people, not the place. Cities don't make people into criminals, otherwise Frank why weren't you robbing people when you were a kid? The people and the culture make the place what it is. It's why formerly good communities can go downhill but also why I believe they can come back eventually.

Last edited by Marius Pontmercy; 01-07-2012 at 12:29 PM..

Old 01-07-2012, 12:43 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Just pathetic.....anyone who is so wrapped up in some sport/sports team to the point where they will commit violence against a person who is rooting for the opposing athlete/team......just pathetic morons.

But I should not be suprised, this country is becoming filled with more and more morons.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
Your argument is based on the fact that somehow city cops are less tough than suburban cops which is totally ludicrous. Put a huge criminal element or lots of drunk sports fans in your suburb and then you can talk. I am saying that this hooliganism at sporting events is not restricted to Philadelphia, but is rather common in sports culture which is unfortunate. Crime in general has more involved than the "toughness" of our respective police forces. It also transcends political boundaries. There are suburban communities with rising crime. I'd even say the lower NE was one such place. It has to do with the people, not the place. Cities don't make people into criminals, otherwise Frank why weren't you robbing people when you were a kid? The people and the culture make the place what it is. It's why formerly good communities can go downhill but also why I believe they can come back eventually.
I sincerely hope you are right in your last sentence..

Old 01-07-2012, 04:35 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
That is just such a load of horse....

First of all, there are a TON of New Yorkers who are the complete opposite of how you claim they are. Don't even get me started on Chicago.
There are Aholes everywhere, but most normal, polite everyday people aren't caught up in their BS. Philly people always seem to have something to prove and all you have to do is just cross paths for them to start in with their drama.

Quote:
Secondly, you reference BUCKS as being representative of the ENTIRE metro? Asher Roth is from Bucks County. Do you really think that little ... represents the rest of the metro?
Who's Asher Roth? I'm just talking about the wannabe culture. NJ is far worse BTW.

Quote:
Allow me to educate you on MY part of the metro, where myself, the majority of my friends in my life, and plenty of family live and were raised.. We don't start things, we finish them. You don't jump somebody, bring a weapon, or do any other punk BS. You fight one on one if you have a problem with somebody, and when it's done, it's done. You stick up for people who can't defend themselves, and plenty of us do. You respect women who deserve to be respected, respect adults, work hard, don't make excuses, and you are a man, not the BS that is considered being a "man" these days.
I understand your trying to hype Philly and I respect that. Philly is an awesome town in many ways and I want to see a better city but trying to pretend there isn't a culture here that provides a breeding ground for such "incidents" is simply being in denial.

We can all say it happens everywhere and that's true but honestly even relativley upper class people here have an attitude problem. The working joes totally have the neaderthal swag going on and don't even get me started on the ghetto people. Only Baltimore of all the cities I've spent lots of time in has such an intrenched thug element.

FWIW, I find people from the actual City of Philadelphia to be the realest and more enjoyable people in the metro, but really this isn't 1970s Berlin with checkpoints on the bridges. We are all part of "Philadelphia" on some level and to say "He's from Marlton" like it matters is foolishness. I'm a huge NY booster and I don't disown the Jersey Shore kids just because they're not from the 5 boros. They're a disgrace to Greater NY and as an Italian also a disgusting stereotype.

Quote:
So yeah, don't try to speak for all of us thanks.
Wasn't trying to. I just voiced how I feel and I'm not trying to say it's right or wrong.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Laughing my ass off at the idea that cops in whatever podunk Nj town you live in, having tougher cops than Philadelphia. This doesn't happen where you live because there is never a time when 1000s of people come into your town for entertainment or to drink.
podunk?? The lowest paid cop in my town is $93k a year. They are cream of the crop. No fat out out of shape cops here.. They do their job to a t. I called once and they were at my house in 1 minute. Last time my wife got hit my a ghetto rat in philly, it took the cops 2 hours to get there.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:11 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,566,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
podunk?? The lowest paid cop in my town is $93k a year. They are cream of the crop. No fat out out of shape cops here.. They do their job to a t. I called once and they were at my house in 1 minute. Last time my wife got hit my a ghetto rat in philly, it took the cops 2 hours to get there.
I had my house broken into once, and I called the police another time to break up an argument outside my apartment because I didn't want it escalating, at least not on my block. Cops arrived in minutes. I've never had a problem with the Philly police. They have an incredibly difficult and dangerous job. I have nothing but respect for the people who would step into that kind of a position.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia