Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 12:32 PM

11 posts, read 27,913 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are looking at a possible move to Southeastern PA. Right now we live in Macungie, PA. My husband has a choice between a job in Bridgeport, NJ or Peabody, MA so we are trying to get as much info about the areas we wish to live as possible. We don't want to live in Philadelphia, NJ or DE. We are originally from Maine so moving back to New England isn't an issue, but we have enjoyed our time here in PA as well. It is just a matter of cost.

Our 7 yr old son is home schooled so schools aren't really an issue. I do want an area that is safe and that we can have access to activities, museums, parks etc. My husband would be working from home some days, commuting to the office other days with some days on the road. Ideally we would like no more then a 45 min commute to the office in Bridgeport at the most, but would prefer 30 min. unless the cost of living 15 more min. out is worth it. We are looking to rent an apartment or house not buy at this point. We would like a place where we can plant a garden or be involved with a community garden which we have done here.

I'm having a hard time determining which would be the most economical place for us to live. According to the cost of living calculator I have been using, our cost of living will increase whether we pick the job in Bridgeport, NJ or Peabody, MA. It seems the increase in southern PA is a combination of utilities and housing. In MA and NH it seems to be basically housing. I am also concerned about the cost of car insurance. I know that will be going up as well. MA is a no fault state. I'm not sure about what SE PA would be.

I am rather stressed out about this. There just seems to be so much to consider and we don't want to make the wrong choice. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 12:48 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
What is your preferred housing budget? Do you mean Bridgeport, PA rather than Bridgeport, NJ? If you do mean the former, then there are plenty of comfortable choices nearby. Bridgeport itself does not come up often as a choice to consider. Parts of nearby Norristown can be hit-or-miss. Otherwise, your options are only limited by your budget.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:03 PM

9,328 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Apparently, Bridgeport, NJ is an unincorporated community within Logan Township, Gloucester County. I suppose you could live in Central DelCo and take 322 over the Commodore Barry Bridge, but I don't think you should automatically rule out NJ either. Any particular reason you're averse to Jersey?

Old 01-09-2012, 03:44 PM

11 posts, read 27,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
What is your preferred housing budget? Do you mean Bridgeport, PA rather than Bridgeport, NJ? If you do mean the former, then there are plenty of comfortable choices nearby. Bridgeport itself does not come up often as a choice to consider. Parts of nearby Norristown can be hit-or-miss. Otherwise, your options are only limited by your budget.

At this point I'm not sure what the budget will be because my husband is expecting his salary to increase. I mean Bridgeport in NJ not PA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Apparently, Bridgeport, NJ is an unincorporated community within Logan Township, Gloucester County. I suppose you could live in Central DelCo and take 322 over the Commodore Barry Bridge, but I don't think you should automatically rule out NJ either. Any particular reason you're averse to Jersey?

I don't really know anything about NJ other then the posts I have seen on this website and my own personal experience just driving through. Generally the posts seem to be negative mainly taxes, tolls, traffic, not a lot of countryside etc.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:01 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Bridgeport is right on 295 . Its a bunch of industrial parks surrounded by farmland.

Very flat, culture leaves alot to be desired. Mcmansion developments are plenty. Ive got nothing against mcmansions but they are more tolerable imo in Pa where you have a rolling landscape and woods that breaks up the monotony.

The plus for living in South jersey. No bridge tolls($5). That much closer to the beaches. More house for your money.

Over the bridge sounds you will probably enjoy the landscape of PA much more and there are several great towns Media,Swarthmore,West Chester.

For $150-$250 K you can live in a nice older working class town like Aston,Boothwyn or Brookhaven. If you go higher with the housing budget a few miles to the nw of those towns you are right in the heart of the wealthiest part of Pennsylvania. Garnet Valley,Chadds Ford, Edgmont,Thornbury etc etc..

Good luck.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:35 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
But they're looking to rent, not buy. I think that drastically reduces the availability of single-family homes where they could plant a garden. There aren't a lot of SF rentals in this area, I don't know about Jersey.

OP: But if you're renting in Jersey, you don't have to worry about property taxes. Call your auto insurance company and ask about rates in the different areas you're considering. I've grown up in the Phila. suburbs and lived in NJ (shore) for three years. Didn't like it. Car registration and inspection was a pain in the butt, and I hated their state tax form, which is as complicated as the Federal form but not exactly the same, so it's extremely time-consuming, especially if you're a part-year resident.

As far as any other information about PA, we need to know your budget range -- that makes a real difference.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:51 AM

434 posts, read 1,312,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballrmdanz777 View Post
I am also concerned about the cost of car insurance. I know that will be going up as well. MA is a no fault state. I'm not sure about what SE PA would be.
A call to your insurance company could answer this, but in case it helps... A move from Boston, MA to Center City Philadelphia doubled my car insurance. Yes, doubled.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:34 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,778,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyViaBoston View Post
A call to your insurance company could answer this, but in case it helps... A move from Boston, MA to Center City Philadelphia doubled my car insurance. Yes, doubled.
If your record is clean then low cost insurance is available but you have to shop for it. Often just changing to a new company will net you big savings.
I would examine NJ t carefully before going to PA and paying all those tolls, particularly if it puts you in Delaware county. It isn't as bad in NJ as you have heard. Up in Camden county there are some beautiful areas. Where is Frank when we need him?

Old 01-10-2012, 10:49 AM

584 posts, read 1,425,072 times
I'll pipe in for NJ. Yes, it is flatter than PA, but there are some great options. The older more established towns will not have that sprawl that you may have experienced in some of the newer developed towns. If you like older architecture, with walkable main streets, tree-lined streets and sidewalks (for dog walking, etc) then look at neighborhoods like Collingswood, Haddonfield, Haddon Heights, Audubon, the Westmont, Haddon Hills, or Haddonleigh sections of Haddon Township, or Moorestown as starters. Each of these areas will offer you very quaint neighborhoods with access to great amenities. Cherry Hill is close by for big box shopping. If you're looking for more land - perhaps take a look at Mullica Hill.

All of these areas are safe and will give you fairly easy access to Philadelphia where you'll find tons of museums, etc for your son. Moreover, many of these towns are very family oriented and have events and programs geared for children.

In terms of car insurance. When I moved into Philly from Delaware County - my car insurance went up. When I moved over to NJ, my insurance went down. I have a clean driving record...so I didn't notice a big difference in my insurance b/t living in an NJ burb and a PA burb. I did notice a hike when I lived within the city limits though.

I agree with Bryson 100%, before moving to PA and dealing with the commute + tolls, take a look and see what the NJ burbs have to offer. The only real difference I've experienced is that the landscape is not as pretty.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:59 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,484,860 times
In NJ, you will have higher income tax, sales tax, and property tax (if and when you buy a home). car insurance is also more expensive in NJ. also, the state is horribly corrupt and mismanaged and has chronic fiscal problems . . . meaning that your taxes could go up more in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia