Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 11:07 AM

7 posts, read 18,160 times

Advertisements

Hello Philadelphians,

My wife is a licensed PA attorney and I'm a small business owner in the restaurant and food distribution industry both in NY and CA. We have a 6mo old baby boy and 2 small dogs. We're looking for a transition home to rent before we purchase to make sure we'd want to raise our kids in Philly.

Budget Rent: $0-$3500

Want: 2+ bd, either a house, condo, townhouse, brownstone, or loft. Must have a backyard or patio for our dogs. Furnished or unfurnished.

Area: Family/baby friendly, Low crime rate, and easy access to dtown/CC and Delaware state. MOST IMPORTANTLY, a town/city suited for an entreprenuer/business man to start a new small business venture (meaning not a town that has many restrictions about doing business from home). Wifey will be working in dtown. We don't want snooty, pretentious neighbors. We're a laid back, down to earth young couple who enjoy life and laughing.

We're used to living in an active city lifestyle.

We have narrowed it down to 3 areas and would like your opinion/feedback on them as well as recommendations for any other cities.

Rittenhouse Square or Washington Square?

Chestnut Hill?

Other areas you recommend?

We'd like to know the pros and cons from the people who know Philly well.

Thank you much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 11:14 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
If you are In the city be aware of 2 factors. City wage tax at almost 4%(If you are making $200k thats $8000 a year.. and th epublic schools in th ecity are average at best. You would have to either send em to private (at a considerable cost) or try to get into a charter school. If I were you I would be looking towards the main line area just outside the city. Public schools are the best in the nation and no wage tax. If you already knew these things and still want to be in the city, look at the 3 areas you already are looking at.. Great areas..

Old 01-10-2012, 11:20 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Rittenhouse and Washington Sq are more urban per se so that may factor in as well. If you are looking at Chestnut Hill and dont want to pay wage tax you may also want to look at the Main Line and areas like Ardmore etc. or even Haddonfield in NJ. Both are roughly an equal commute and offer some similarities to Chestnut Hill whish a great area as well. Though your wife will pay city wage regardless working in the city. Also in terms of home offices and legalities,; not totally sure

To me personally RS or WS offer the best attributes of Philly living IMHO as you can basically walk to everything in the core of the city.

Best of luck on your move

Old 01-10-2012, 11:39 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,546 times
Rittenhouse, Washington Square, and Chestnut Hill are all great areas with their own character. I'd look at Society Hill as well. Chestnut Hill, while in the city of Philadelphia, has more of a suburban character to it but has a downtown area (Germantown Ave). the others are downtown city neighborhoods.

As others have said, there is a 4% wage tax if you live in philly (which your wife would have to pay on her income anyway if she works in philly). also, one thing that isn't great about philly for people with children is a lack of open space. Fairmount Park is huge, but not walkable from most parts of the city. Washington Square and Rittenhouse Square, while public parks, are not really large enough to count as "open space".

Old 01-10-2012, 12:09 PM

584 posts, read 1,425,334 times
I thought that there was a posting on here about a high concentration of entrepreneurs in Cheltenhem. Does anyone else recall anything to that effect???

Old 01-10-2012, 12:58 PM

147 posts, read 353,803 times
Just some FYI on the Wage Tax, It's 4% for residents and 3.5% for non residents who work within the city limits of Philadelphia.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:22 AM

98 posts, read 216,165 times
Hi. We lived in the Fitler Square/graduate hospital area while my husband and I were at Penn for training. We really liked it there - for a city neighborhood, lots of green space, very easy to walk to the newish trail by the river, also has a nice park there with a good playground (we had a 1 year old a the time). Very easy to take the 40 or 42 bus around town. If in Center City, the key is to get a place with its own parking. There are few things worse than going grocery shopping with an infant and not being able to find parking within 3 blocks of your house when you return!

I am not sure I would plan on doing school in Center City, but there is a school, I think along Lombard, that may be private. There is also a private pool in that neighborhood but the wait list may be long to get in (as in years).

Old 01-11-2012, 10:30 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
If you are In the city be aware of 2 factors. City wage tax at almost 4%(If you are making $200k thats $8000 a year.. and th epublic schools in th ecity are average at best. You would have to either send em to private (at a considerable cost) or try to get into a charter school. If I were you I would be looking towards the main line area just outside the city. Public schools are the best in the nation and no wage tax. If you already knew these things and still want to be in the city, look at the 3 areas you already are looking at.. Great areas..
I love the Main Line, but it doesn't really offer the progressive urban lifestyle the OP seems to be looking for. I do agree, however, that barring acceptance to one of the magnets, private school is a must. The Philadelphia School, which dmitri hinted at, offers a wonderful K-8 education that is within walking distance. Its graduates mostly split between the public magnets (Masterman/Central/CAPA) and Quaker upper schools (Friend's Central, Friend's Select, Penn Charter, etc).

Going off dmitri, I think Fitler Square is a great suggestion. Hip family-oriented neighborhood that is upper class, but with very little pretension. Also very convenient to "center" Center City/the highways.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:10 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
Rittenhouse, Washington Square, and Chestnut Hill are all great areas with their own character. I'd look at Society Hill as well. Chestnut Hill, while in the city of Philadelphia, has more of a suburban character to it but has a downtown area (Germantown Ave). the others are downtown city neighborhoods.

As others have said, there is a 4% wage tax if you live in philly (which your wife would have to pay on her income anyway if she works in philly). also, one thing that isn't great about philly for people with children is a lack of open space. Fairmount Park is huge, but not walkable from most parts of the city. Washington Square and Rittenhouse Square, while public parks, are not really large enough to count as "open space".
But open space and access to Fairmount Park is where Chestnut Hill really shines in those three options.
It's a walkable neighborhood with shopping amenities and good transit access via multiple train lines, but there there are parks (ie: Pastorius Park) and large green spaces (ie: Watertower Recreation area) right in the small neighborhood boundaries, and then at the western edge of the neighborhood is the beautiful Wissahickon Valley section of Fairmount Park, with all it's trails and forested areas.
As far as schools go, there's an "ok" public elementary school (Jenks), but also multiple private schools (Crefeld, Waldorf, Norwood Fontbonne), and a Catholic School (Our Mother of Consolation) all within the walkable neighborhood boundaries.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:11 PM

7 posts, read 18,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Thank you for the information. We'd have to reconsider RHouse and WS. I'd have to do further research on how the wage tax will affect me since I run my business from home. We also learned that Chestnut Hill is brutal to drive out during rush hour traffic.

We're actually starting to look into the Main Line areas specifically in the Lower Merion Township. If you have any suggestions for the neighborhoods, please share. On a side note, we're also interested in an area with excellent youth sports programs/leagues as well as high schools that both have excellent academic standards and competitive athletic programs (eg. football, basketball, baseball...).

Thank you again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia