Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 08:56 AM

84 posts, read 90,100 times

Advertisements

I am moving to CC very soon so find this all very interesting. This though seems to be the only thread on the entire internet that suggest center city is "very dangerous".

Old 01-23-2013, 09:12 AM

289 posts, read 338,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Good to know the police are becoming so blase about it Typical area blame the victim mentality. I've heard of them being like that in places like Camden but not many other places. Similar happened to me a few years ago in south Philly when my car window was smashed and the demons took off with personal items of mine that would've been of no value to them. So rather than bothering with the formalities,the lazy cop just said 'well you shouldn't have stuff in your car' or some stupid sh like that^

I notice the police are Johnny-on-the-spot in other places though,like Bucks Co where they nailed me once for making a u-turn...or recently in Glendora South Jersey where they dinged me 85 bucks for scraping a curb!...
A source close to the situation once told me the motto of most of those South Jersey town's police forces is: "cover up crime, create revenue."

Old 01-23-2013, 09:15 AM

289 posts, read 338,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I never said CC is very dangerous. You did..
We appreciate you looking out for us, you're a great guy.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:34 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Default Vid of shootout on the streets of South Philly.

Video Landing Page - Philadelphia News, Weather and Sports from WTXF FOX 29

Old 01-23-2013, 09:39 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK85 View Post
I am moving to CC very soon so find this all very interesting. This though seems to be the only thread on the entire internet that suggest center city is "very dangerous".
That's probably because it isn't. Otherwise the population wouldn't be growing so quickly nor properties selling for such a high premium. Isn't there a murder or robbery occasionally in west London?

Last edited by bryson662001; 01-23-2013 at 09:57 AM..

Old 01-23-2013, 09:43 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
That's probably because it isn't. Otherwise the population wouldn't be growing so quickly nor properties selling for such a high premium. Isn't there a murder or robbery occasionally in west London?

Maybe you should look at this table bryson. I did not think it was bad either.. Till I saw this.. I was surprised

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...w1-SasOQ&gid=0

Old 01-23-2013, 09:56 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
Quote:
Maybe you should look at this table bryson. I did not think it was bad either.. Till I saw this.. I was surprised

That chart doesn't seem to include any of the neighborhoods that we do consider dangerous. Otherwise it's hard to explain. You know I lived in Center City for more than 20 years and seldom noticed any kind of criminal activity. Of all the reasons I moved that was never one of them.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:00 AM

84 posts, read 90,100 times
Quote:
No there is no crime in London
Shocking rise in iPhone theft with 300 mobiles stolen every day in London crime wave - Crime - News - London Evening Standard

Murders are down and we don't have a gun culture but there was still about 100 last year. It is a much bigger sprawling city with a population of around 10 million BUT if the guns were in scoiety like the US the stats would be different me thinks.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:09 AM

932 posts, read 1,943,666 times
Quote:
England seems to have the silliest criminals in the world...

Crossbow Robbery - YouTube

Old 01-23-2013, 10:09 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,649,418 times
Quote:

The statistics in that table were most likely generated by simply using the total numbers of crimes, divided by the resident population.

That type of calculation will always give a distorted impression of a CBD when compared apples to apples next to a regular residential neighborhood, because there is such a disproportionately large number of non-resident people at any given time in the neighborhood who aren't counted in the residential population when doing the rate calculation.

There are a lot of other odd things in that table (some of which are acknowledged in the note at the bottom). Pretty sloppy analysis, honestly. Where did you find this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia