Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2012, 06:17 PM

958 posts, read 1,196,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
Thank the cabby for putting up such a fight. Good thinking going for the tire iron, but too bad the kids didn't stick around for the beat down they deserved. At least they were caught though, and I'm glad the paper picked it up and will report it as what it was: a hate a crime; a racially motivated assault. There's way too much racism in this city and it's time we start shedding some light on it. White people need to not be afraid of blacks and point out the racism that is present in the black community. Otherwise we let those in the black community who use racism as an excuse for all sorts of bad behavior get away with it. There are racists in all ethnic groups, and we need to point this out across all those groups, otherwise we'll never get over this.
Don't you think it's just a tad bit more complex than that?

Personally, I think it's more about hating white people because of what they think white people have that they themselves don't. There's been tension between the haves and have-nots of this entire metro for centuries. It's been like that out in Delaware County for I don't even know how long. I grew up hating kids I thought were "rich" (in reality they were middle to upper-middle class) because they took it for granted and because so many of them pretended to be ghetto or didn't know when to shut up and were always trying to get big.

I'm not saying there's not racism or major racial tensions, because there are. I'm just saying that I think it's about more than race and moreso about what that race represents to them.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:51 PM

99 posts, read 154,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Calling names leads to being attacked.
Sounds like you're making excuses for the teens ... we don't know exactly what happened, but my scenario seems most probable. I highly doubt a solo white guy would have started mess.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
It's not the norm for black teens to pull a white person out of a cab in the city of philadelphia, especially in a busy area like 15th and Chestnut.
But it IS the norm for young blacks to attack whites in the city of Philadelphia. This time it just happened to be in a cab.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
Actually, plenty would.

People who aren't from an urban area don't know when to shut their mouth and they CONSTANTLY try to pull some BS and get big with people.

I know this from plenty of first-hand experience.

Don't compare this to the flash mobs. This is one isolated incident, and the flash mobs are hundreds of kids just trying to start some ****.
I did not compare this to a flash mob, I was stating that whites have been pulled from cabs and vehicles before by blacks.
I'm getting my license to carry this year, I'm not gonna be a victim of "whiting."

And "CONSTANTLY?" I'm assumong you're black ... you've had white suburban guys mess with you constantly?

Old 01-29-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Wow, that's not an incredibly biased username or anything.

Still, I'll agree.. if this attack was unprovoked then it's nothing short of disgraceful. Reminds me of the flash mob BS.
You seem to think it's ok for three to gang up on one, don't you? I wonder how you'd feel if the roles were reversed.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Burger View Post
You seem to think it's ok for three to gang up on one, don't you? I wonder how you'd feel if the roles were reversed.
Funny because I didn't ever say that.

Don't put words in my mouth.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
Thank the cabby for putting up such a fight. Good thinking going for the tire iron, but too bad the kids didn't stick around for the beat down they deserved. At least they were caught though, and I'm glad the paper picked it up and will report it as what it was: a hate a crime; a racially motivated assault. There's way too much racism in this city and it's time we start shedding some light on it. White people need to not be afraid of blacks and point out the racism that is present in the black community. Otherwise we let those in the black community who use racism as an excuse for all sorts of bad behavior get away with it. There are racists in all ethnic groups, and we need to point this out across all those groups, otherwise we'll never get over this.
I recently met a woman (liberal, middle-aged and white) who moved here from Seattle and I asked her how she liked the city. She replied "I like it - except for the racism ..." I thought "here we go" and tried to change the subject. Much to my surprise she was talking about black on white racism and stated she didn't much want to interact with blacks here.
I've met quite a few white people who when they moved here had the attitude "people are people," but changed their attitudes once they had to dael with blacks.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Funny because I didn't ever say that.

Don't put words in my mouth.
You keep going with the "they were provoked" defense. I know you really mean "he must have said something."
Saying "something" isn't a reason for three to attack one. And like I'll continue to say "I highly doubt the white man started it."

Old 01-29-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I did not compare this to a flash mob, I was stating that whites have been pulled from cabs and vehicles before by blacks.
I'm getting my license to carry this year, I'm not gonna be a victim of "whiting."

And "CONSTANTLY?" I'm assumong you're black ... you've had white suburban guys mess with you constantly?
You did, because you tried to compare an incident that happened during a flash mob to a random incident that was not a part of anything else.

Actually.. I'm a white kid from an Irish-Italian working class neighborhood in Delaware County, and yes, I have had plenty of spoiled suburban kids constantly trying to get big towards me.

It has nothing to do with race. People who aren't from an urban area do not know when to shut up and are constantly trying to get big. They don't play by the rules of keep your mouth shut and don't pull an attitude if you can't back it up. They've never had to. It's happening in every city that they move to. They mouth off to the wrong person and find out that they're not in the suburbs anymore. Then they try to say they were a victim and everybody else who isn't from an urban area gladly makes it out like the person was a victim, no matter what they said or did to provoke something.

I'm not saying that all of them do but I am saying that plenty of them do, and plenty of them do not at all follow the rules.

Old 01-29-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
You keep going with the "they were provoked" defense. I know you really mean "he must have said something."
Saying "something" isn't a reason for three to attack one. And like I'll continue to say "I highly doubt the white man started it."
I didn't defend anybody in this thread.

I said that if it wasn't provoked, then it was a disgrace.

For the second time.. Don't put words in my mouth.

And if you say something, then you deserve whatever you get. Saying something to somebody unprovoked is wronging them. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia